Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Books are not shown in the TOC of the printed document

New Here ,
Mar 17, 2014 Mar 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am using Robohelp 10. I have a project with several books and topics. When I generate a web help, everything is fine. But now, I have to generate a printed version of it. My problem is that on the table of contents of the generated document, the books are now shown. I need those books to be shown. Please advise.

I can not post the project I am using so I just used a very simple project which I created.

This is the original TOC.

rb1.png

rb2.png

and this is the resulting TOC in the printed document.

db3.png

The books should still be part of the contents same with the original TOC.

I do not know what is wring with my set-up since I only used the default one. It will be great if you can reply to me ASAP since we need to publish our help document. Thanks a lot!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First try ticking that check box.

Then try with one of the sample projects. Click Open on the RoboHelp Starter page and then click Samples in the ribbon on the left.

Does that fix it?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What browser are you using? If Chrome...try reviewing the output in Internet Explorer to determine whether this is a browser problem or a RH problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Paula. It's printed documentation.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I tried on sample projects but got the same problem. As a work around, I created toc in the generated docx file using MS word (References / Table of contents), delete the toc created from robohelp and generate the pdf file from word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, the samples are a known quantity and normally generate correctly. Thus we know it is something about your environment, assuming you used the supplied style mapping template?

In the last page of the print dialog, are you using the supplied Rh Style Mapping template?

After generating with whatever you are using, have you tried right-clicking alongside the TOC and choosing Update Field. That might correct the TOC.

What version of Word are you using?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2014 Mar 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actuially, I tried all the given options on the last printed dialogue but got the same results. I did right click / Update Filed on the TOC but nothing happened. I checked the properties of the TOC in MS Word 2010 and found out that "Heading 1" is not included in the TOC (Heading 1 is for the books I supposed) - which I don't know where on Robohelp this was set.

word.png

From the dialogue above, clicking the "Options" button will let me include "Heading 1". With this, I have to always modify the TOc in word before i generate it to a PDF file. This will be fine for me but it will be better if we can find out why Heading 1 is being excluded in the generated file.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okay - one more suggestion. For some reason, this was happening to me - not so much with the entire TOC but with elements. For printed documentation only.

So try this and maybe it will help.

Go to the wizard and at the point (second screen...third, actually, I think) where it shows the TOC layout -move them all to the left and then move them to the right again - i.e. "delete" what is there and recreate it according to the TOC on the left - and generate. See if that helps.

I found that I was missing whole books. As far as I am concerned, this may be a bug and we should report it - but several times, RH has not updated based on saved changes to the TOC. By "deleting" and then recreating the TOC - as easy as clicking the arrow to the left and then to the right - the TOC was functioning correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2014 Mar 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Paula,

I did that too but it didn't work as well. I found from other site that the "bug" that you mentioned is not really a bug. When we did changes on the TOC of the project, the TOC on the dialogue when creating a printed documentation will not change. http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/printing/rh9_printing.htm

By the thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp