• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I print/publish/sell my book if I buy an Adobe license for Helvetica?

Mar 21, 2014 Mar 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm wanting to self-publish a print book using the Helvetica™ Neue Std Ultra Light font which I can purchase the license for its use from the Adobe store. I'm just learning about licenses and commercial use, trying to get my head around it all. So, if I buy the license for this font through Adobe, does that mean I can publish/print my book and sell these books?

From what I can gather, all Adobe fonts whether those that come with the bundle or those that a license is bought for through the store, are allowed to be used for commercial use. Correct me if I'm wrong. It seems that this is all good for web and video stuff but I just wanted to see if it was okay for the printing and selling of novels? I'm being pedantic but just want to be really explicit about these details so I don't have to worry about this legal stuff later.

Also, if this is the case, then does that mean I can use any font that already comes with adobe in a book and sell the book? E.g. Segoe print, arial unicode ms, freestyle script, etc. All of them, really. Specifically, I'm using InDesign to create my books and want to use the fonts it comes with to save money if that's possible.

Any hep would be great!

Thanks heaps.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For all fonts licensed from Adobe either bundled with Adobe applications or licensed separately via Adobe's website or authorized resellers, there is no restriction whatsoever on using the font in books that you either print directory, print via PDF with fonts embedded, or distribute electronically as PDF. There are some restrictions in terms of embedding fonts in EPub files, but the Adobe applications producing same take care of those restrictions (subset embedding and obfuscation) for you. And you can sell these printed or electronic books to your heart's content with no extra restrictions, fees, royalties, etc. Good luck in your venture!

In terms of the non-Adobe fonts you specifically mention – Segoe Print, Arial Unicode MS, Freestyle Script – these are fonts that are installed with Windows and/or Microsoft Office, not Adobe applications. At Adobe we cannot comment on the legality of use of these fonts as you describe. That having been said, the font files are physically marked to permit “preview and print embedding” for output. And many users do commonly use them for publishing. For a legal opinion on this, you would need to obtain the EULA (End User License Agreement) for the fonts from Microsoft.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank-you so much for clarifying. Great news for the Adobe licenses. Woohoo!

So, in InDesign, how do I find out if a font is bundled with Adobe or installed with Windows/Microsoft Office. As the fonts all appear in a long list with most of them all together above all the extra fonts at the bottom of the list, I'm not sure how to get this info. E.g. Freestyle script appears in the main list while Arial unicode appears in the secondary list.

Also, I've read through a few EULAs and am struggling to know what to look for when it comes to permission for commercial use - sepcifically the selling of print books. I'm getting a lot about embedding, software, sharing, etc. but not sure how to know if I can print a book and sell it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at <http://www.adobe.com/products/type/creative-cloud-fonts.html> to see lists of fonts installed by Adobe Creative Cloud software.

Arial Unicode and some other fonts appear in separate lists due to significant differences in their character sets. The main list contains fonts that are primarily Western Latin character sets. Asian fonts of symbolic fonts (based on how they declare themselves) are in separate lists. Arial Unicde attempts to support many Unicode character sets and is thus not in the main list.

Reading EULAs is not fun or for the faint of heart. Generally speaking, if something isn't prohibited explicitly in the EULA such as printing books using a font and selling those books for profit, you should be OK. Anything that implies an ability to embed a font or allow others to use a font embedded in an application, don't assume anything. Most EULAs prevent the latter without a special license and royalty payment.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, cool. Thanks for that - very helpful.

Okay, so was wondering if you could take a look at this:

"Embedding Font Software and Representations of Typeface and Typographic Designs and Ornaments. You may embed the Font Software only into an electronic document that is not a Commercial Product, (ii) is distributed in a secure format that does not permit the extraction of the embedded Font Software, and (iii) in the case where a recipient of an electronic document is able to Use the Font Software for editing, only if the recipient of such document is within your Licensed Unit.

You may embed static graphic images into an electronic document, including a Commercial Product, (for example, a “gif”) with a representation of a typeface and typographic design or ornament created with the Font Software as long as such images are not used as a replacement for Font Software, i.e. as long as the representations do not correspond to individual glyphs of the Font Software and may not be individually addressed by the document to render such designs and ornaments."

It's the only part in the EULA where it refers to commercial use so I'm hoping I'm looking in the right place. The language used doesn't help me all that much since I get confused not knowing if it means the actual software and/or the font itself printed on a page.

From the above, does it look like I can safely print and sell books if I agreed to the terms in this license and bought it? Or do I need more info before making a call?

Thanks heaps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and here's another one I found for the same font but different place the license can be bought from:

"For the most common uses, both personal and professional, for use in desktop applications with a font menu.

For example:

· Install the font on your Mac OS X or Windows system

· Use the font within desktop applications such as Microsoft Word, Mac Pages, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, etc.

· Create and print documents, as well as static images (.jpeg, .tiff, .png), even if the images are used on the web or in a mobile app."

Again, does this mean I can print and sell books? 'Commercial use' didn't appear anywhere but perhaps 'professional use' means the same thing. And it says you can create print documents but doesn't say if you can sell them.

Apologies for being a detail/literal freak looking for the specific words that would help me out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 22, 2014 Mar 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither these two fragments of EULAs prohibit using the font in a printed book that you sell.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realise this is a little past the original date of the conversation, but if you're still there -- does this mean that the book can continue to be sold even if the author/publisher no longer has a creative cloud subscription? Or does the license only last while one continues to pay for InDesign? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Marina24998594jlcm If your book was created with Adobe software, using Adobe licensed (subscription-included) fonts, and then exported as a PDF correctly with the fonts embedded, then the book can be printed from that PDF (or plates) and sold without restriction. Hope that's helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines