• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any problems running Windows 7-created help output on Windows XP machines?

Mar 26, 2014 Mar 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I feel a bit silly even asking this, but I'm not a coder and don't have the technical knowledge to know for sure that it's a silly question.

Background: We are upgrading to Windows 7 from XP in the near future. We will be using RoboHelp 10 and Word 2010 - at least that's the plan ...

For our department's major product, since it's big and has been around a long time, we are still stuck using RoboHelp for Word to generate WinHelp. We then use the RHelp for Word source to generate WebHelp, since some modules of the product require WinHelp, some require HTML pages, and much of the source material is needed in both outputs. And yes, I did read someone's post likening this process to drinking coffee while running a sprint - believe me, if I had any choice about this I wouldn't be doing it. If RoboHelp has added the capability to generate WinHelp from RoboHelp HTML, let me know  .

Anyway, because of previous weird experiences after upgrades, I am being asked to find out: Has anyone used RoboHelp for Word to generate help output -  .hlp or .chm or HTML pages - on a Windows 7 machine and tested it on a Windows XP machine? If so, were any problems observed?

Assuming we can still creak along with RoboHelp 10 to generate the same antiquated output ... which we can, right?? ... my gut tells me that a file is a file and I can't see why an .hlp file or web-based help files that run on Windows 7 wouldn't run on XP. But again, I don't have the technical knowledge to say this for certain.

Any advice appreciated. Thank you - Sandy

Message was edited by: sdryer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2014 Mar 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Creating an output on a later OS does not affect its ability to be used an older OS. The issue, as you know, is creating winhelp to be used on Windows 7 or 8. That forces each user to download a file to support winhelp.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp