• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No ASP/ASP.Net support in Dreamweaver CC

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another Disabled or depreicated 'feature'. No ASP of ASP.Net support in DW CC.

At: * Vista/Windows 7: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CC\Configuration\DisabledFeatures there are a some .mxp files to add these functions back.

Took the  steps required to convert mpx to ZXP.

http://www.projectseven.com/products/cloud-install.htm

The extension, ASP_JS_Support.mxp, once converted throws an error. It is searching for files in directories that do not exist. There is  Menus.xml file in the /configuration/Menus/ directory, the the 'element' is not in the file at all. See image below.

DWCC-error.jpg

This is my most required function.

When we open a new file, many file type starter pages are no longer available including ASP, Cold Fusion etc. Are these going to be added back?

DW-Filetypes.jpg

Add my voice to legions of others showing Our disappointment with DW CC's lack of support for developers. CC is simply a CSS, HTML WYSYWIG editor now. We should not have to load extensions to the primary program we use to develop our websites. While HTML 5 and CSS can develop great sites, the fact is there are millions of websites that function perfectly without these and will continue to do so.

IMHO Adobe focused completely on new technology, which is not even supported fully by browsers, and ignored technologies that are in use today. You missed by a mile and I regret purchasing a Cloud Account just to see what a drop shadow or curved border looks like in live view.

Support? Do I even need to go there?

I had such hopes for this version of DW, looks like CS6 will remain my main program.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 27, 2013 Sep 27, 2013

I solved this adding ".asp" to the "open in dreamweaver" in the preferences, but also configuring the site server model as "asp vbscript".

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Web Guy,

Can you check out this discussion and let us know if you still need help?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1236373?tstart=0

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That post has nothing to do with the issue I am speaking of here. I have no problem with file associations within windows. My post talks about the lack of support within the program itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Web Guy,

Sorry for the confusion. I have been quickly reading posts and missed the point, as in this case.

Active support for ASP has currently been discontinued to make way for enhanced support for HTML5, CSS, and emerging web technologies. You will see an Adobe Blog post that will provide the messaging and the way ahead, but this is what I have for you now.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Emerging technologies - what about the hundreds of sites I have built with tried and true technologies still in production. If HTML5 and CSS are the only focus of DW CC then I have wasted my money signing up for Creative Cloud simply for a robust editor, only so I can go back to DW CS6 to get the real work done. What can HTML5 and CSS do with a recordset? If PHP is not used, the DW CC is worthless.

I cannot believe there was a consious decision to depreciate technologies currently in production. I am very dissapointed in DW CC's lack of support.

I have wasted enough time on this, I think it's refund time. If I can ever get ahold of support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IM The Web Guy -- You speak for many, myself included. The organization for which I do much of my work is sticking with its legacy applications and NOT planning on changing all of them overnight simply because Adobe decides that the future is here. Naturally, they may do so slowly or with newer applications, but SHAME on Adobe for not considering this! Not every client is in a hurry to spend tons of money on re-coding -- especially those with limited funds. [shocked] and [sad].

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.. but does HTML do form validation?  connect to a database?  I don't see how this substitutes .NEt or.ASP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2017 Nov 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jose+E+Calderon  wrote

but does HTML do form validation? 

HTML5 validates form fields in the browser.  However server-side validation is also necessary.

Form data validation - Learn web development | MDN

Nancy O'Sheaā€” Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2013 Sep 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This literally made me want to punch someone.  I'm in the middle of probably the most stressful .net design and development project of my career and I decided to reinstall Dreamweaver because my CS6 was acting buggy and now I'm literally screwed.   You guys literally screwed me.

What short bus full of morons thought it was a good idea to get rid of asp and .net support?

That's like saying you're no longer going to support  internet explorer anymore because only 20% of the internet uses it. 

Thanks a lot. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2013 Dec 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TheMerryGambit wrote:

This literally made me want to punch someone.

Same here, I just upgraded to CC and was floored when I realized and found out they dropped support for ASP/.NET.

There are thousands (if not more) of perfectly viable websites that use ASP/.NET.  It's a perfectly fine option for building websites and especially business applications.  I have around six web apps built in classic ASP that my company is just not comfortable spending the resources to "upgrade" them to another language when they work just fine as is.

I reinstalled CS6 but why am I even a CC member if I can't use CC apps?  Oh yay, Photoshop CC.

Will try to jump through the hoops to get ASP support back in CC but sheesh, who the heck made this decision?  I am _this_ close to canceling my CC sub and just sticking with CS6.

Terrible Adobe, just terrible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2015 Jul 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Personal abuse removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 22, 2013 Jun 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed this problem in the trial Dreamweaver CC too.  Will be uninstalling tomorrow and stick with CS6 and Expression Web Designer. Not supporting ASP & ASP.NET is a deal breaker. I don't think I'm even going to bother learning what else is new in Dreamweaver CC. *sigh*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2013 Jun 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure why Adobe deleted the linked archive of deprecated features over time found here ( http://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/deprecated-features-dreamweaver.html ), the closest article they have left is here ( http://kb2.adobe.com/community/publishing/923/cpsid_92324.html ).

Regardless, ASP.NET support was deprecated back at CS4.  If you added a number to CC this would be CS7.  So we have been since 2008 with no support for ASP.NET.  Classic ASP was technically supported, although there were many articles posted about the server behaviors being out of date, on both ASP and PHP sides, which caused Adobe to listen to the masses and discontinue legacy support for that if they were not going to be updated because I think we can all agree it would be better to remove something that could potentially open up security holes across the web then to leave it in for legacy's sake.

While Preran speaks for Adobe and gives the official answer, many within the community believe the reason why support was removed goes back to the reasoning of why Adobe bought Macromedia.  Reason being that they cannot develop products around a proprietary technology, in this case Microsoft's, without their development lagging behind.  And the other part of the reason was the numbers game.  Based on 2 recent surveys ( http://news.netcraft.com/archives/category/web-server-survey/ , http://w3techs.com ) only 20% of servers run ASP/.NET.

Since that decision was made in 2008 to discontinue .NET support, I would typically recommend that someone invested in ASP technologies to use what was Frontpage, and then Expression Web and now Visual Studio Web Designer ( http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/products/visual-studio-express-products ).  There's not really much else I can recommend that comes to mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SnakEyez02, all

Thank you.  It's true that Dreamweaver is moving towards standards-based web technologies. As I said previously, we are collecting all feedback, and will be sharing our roadmap with everyone very soon covering how we will be prioritizing our work based on various inputs from our users. The idea is to evolve Dreamweaver into the kind of software that will meet the demands of current and future web standards while still remaining light on its feet.

We are still providing Dreamweaver CS6 for some time to ensure that we don't leave those users behind who are working with technologies where we are limiting our focus. And as you know already, you can run Dreamweaver CS6 and CC in parallel which means you will always have a choice of working with the latest features while maintaining your current workflows.

About the broken links, apologies in advance. The policy is to unpublish documents that have ceased to be popular or cannibalizing the popularity of our latest, updated documents. Having said that, I will check with the team about the reason why these links don't work any more.

Our presence on various social platforms and on the pre-release forum is testimony to the fact that we are hearing every one very seriously. Instead of multiple posts that will confuse everyone, we want to complete the process of listening before we publish a comprehensive reply.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preran wrote:

Our presence on various social platforms and on the pre-release forum is testimony to the fact that we are hearing every one very seriously. Instead of multiple posts that will confuse everyone, we want to complete the process of listening before we publish a comprehensive reply.

Thanks,

Preran

Namaste Preranji,

Thank you for this bit of information that Adobe is listening to all the wailing and gnashing of teeth. When (approximately at least) do you think Adobe would be making said "comprehensive reply?" In a week? A month? How long?

VL Branko

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The post is scheduled to go live next week unless something this week causes a delay in its posting. I will announce it on the forum as soon as I get the information.

The idea of the creative cloud is to provide multiple software with special capabilities that play well with each other. This reduces the burden on one software to cater to every need. If you have a look at the current set, you will get a feel of what I am saying.

Also, it is worthwhile to consider that changes in the web space have been more disruptive than most of the other domains. Dreamweaver is in a unique space where it has to cater to the demands of next generation standards and technologies while taking users on older technologies for the ride.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Danyavada, Preranji I look forward to reading it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2013 Aug 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you guys at Abode aren't grasping is that removing the ability to create a .Net page in the DW interface or the failure to even load a .net page into the editor from the site panel is just dumb! If you want to stop providing .net data integration tools, that fine. I get it. You will always be behind Microsoft in the features you can build into the editor. Understand that in a lot of firms, the designers use dreamweaver to style up the .net pages...or even create the new pages that the developers then code up. With this move you have just basically said not only are we not going to support any .net development, but we don't even want you to open your pages in our editor. ha very smooth, casting you lot in with the open source crowd is a dangerous course to take, people will soon expect you to offer your products as free to use too...

But hey, what Adobe fails to realize is that while maybe only 20% of websites are built on the .net platform, almost all the business apps that run on the web are developed in .NET.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ASP.NET Core is fully compliant with Modern web standards. It is, indeed, a standards-based technology, and is not out dated. It is cross-platform, open-source, and evolving.  It seems to me that Adobe is at risk of short-changing (and loosing some of) their customer base-myself included-if they do not re-integrate some form of ASP.NET support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

20% is a very large number.  The Apple iPhone has less than 20% of the smartphone market share (http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-of-the-day-the-iphones-market-share-is-dead-in-the-water-2013-5) and that's an extremely propietary technology. Yet Dreamweaver now supports building apps for that.

Wasn't the selling point of Dreamweaver supposed to be that it would be one tool for using any of the web programming languages?  Now it's just PHP I guess. 

I'll have to try Visual Studio Express Web Designer. Thanks for the link.  Usually I use the free Expression Web Designer 4 since its CSS support is better than Dreamweaver's in some ways (but there are other features that aren't as good of course).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2013 Jul 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adamz, the bigger picture for mobile is that while Apple represents 20% of mobile devices sold worldwide, Apple's model is more profitable with 74% of all mobile app revenue coming from iOS ( http://techland.time.com/2013/04/16/ios-vs-android/ ), so the people who use Apple spend money and the people using Android don't.

With that said, the larger point I was making is that this change has been occuring over time and no one has been disappointed in the fact that the code is outdated, nor that ASP.NET support was dropped back in 2008 at it is only becoming an issue now 5 years later.  The problem is that the vocal part of the Dreamweaver community has been moving towards PHP for quite some time now and no one else spoke up.  Dreamweaver's initial reasoning for moving away from supporting ASP was that in the original 2 year waiting period between major CS releases, Microsoft could make many updates to the ASP platforms since they control the code and the development and DW always lagged behind.  Maybe if the ASP community becomes more vocal again about the type of support they are looking for, I think Adobe may be in a better position to support it with their always updating Cloud model.

Furthermore, I don't disagree with Hans that moving to support CMS platforms wasn't the brightest move and gave many in that field the wrong impression of what DW does.  Because DW does not give those users a WYSIWYG which is what I think they were looking for.  However, on that same topic, I don't think it was wrong of Adobe to deprecate the old database features.  They were dated, insecure, and had no place in a professional development environment.  I would argue that what DW needs at this point is a more comprehensive SQL editor and querying system.  Not the pre-made garbage we had, but something to help with professional development and to test queries against the server to make sure they are using proper amounts of server resources and have reasonable execution times. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2013 Jul 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This:

"something to help with professional development and to test queries against the server to make sure they are using proper amounts of server resources and have reasonable execution times."

DW as it was allowed for fast creation of a few basic commands (recordset, insert, update, repeat/show/hide region) that could then be quickly and easily tweaked. Not having to manually code everything has historically been a huge time saver and the compelling reason to use DW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2013 Jul 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I do agree that mobile is fast becoming a very important model for site development, for Adobe to drop data bindings and the usual record set building, is really what - I believe - will drive developers to find products that will allow an easy and rapid combination of data driven content to their sites.

I am aware that there are some extension builders and "Adobe Partners" that have created add ons that will return these facilities to DW, but this seems to be an external fix, rather than keeping it as native support.

Almost all the sites I have built for clients, use a database for managing and sorting content, be they on line stores, portal sites for specific niche markets, or "one line brochures" of their organisation. Using a database to store content and then having it show on the site, does require a data binding, no matter what server model is being used: PHP/MySQL or any flavour of Microsoft's equivalent or anything else out there.

Converting all the data to XML files also seems extremely inefficient and really slow, by comparison.

Not everyone is going to use an APP for any given site, that is the reality, people search for things and they visit sites and then "participate" in the sites they like. Be they IOS users, or Andriod (BTW Andriod is now the biggest - sorry Apple).

Yes, I will certainly be on the lookout for an alternative product and stay with the older version of DW, until I find something suitable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2013 Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK Adobe. You officialy suck at everything. No Fireworks. No data binding. No ASP. No Dreamweaver CS6 download option after deleting it and learning that DW CC sucks after all that made it great is gone. The people have no options when those who provide solution think they know best for us - be they government or software providers. Both suck! <% end rant %>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2013 Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to use the Adobe Extension Manager to install ASP support but i get the error that Dreamweaver Version 11 or greater is required. Converted to ZXP as well and get the same error. This is so ridiculous. What a joke this has become after waiting for a year for DW CS6's FTP issues to be resolved and now this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines