• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 7 Drag & Drop On Failure action

Apr 01, 2014 Apr 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I added a drag and drop question to my project to create a multiple response question.  There are 6 draggable objects and one drop target.  User must drag the correct 4 objects to the drop target.

If they do not select the correct 4 objects, I would like a lightbox to appear with feedback and an instruction to try the question again. User must X out of the lightbox to see the question and try again.

• I created a group (text box with feedback and close button) for the light box
  • I also created variables
    • Variable1:  Show group
    • Variable2:  Hide group
  • The close botton has been assigned variable 2 (hide group) on success

In the drag and drop properties, under ACTION, I selected

• On Failure:  Execute Advance Interaction
  • Script:  Variable2

I thought that this would prompt the lightbox to appear, but it does not work.  I must be doing something wrong!  Can anybody tell me what I did wrong and how to get the lightbox to work?

Thanks

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2014 Apr 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You seem to misunderstand how variables, runtime events and actions work in Captivate.

Your Close button doesn't get assigned a variable called SHOW group.  It can execute an Advanced Action that SHOWs or HIDEs a group with a given Item Name.

Take a look at these posts:

http://www.infosemantics.com.au/adobe-captivate-advanced-actions/introduction-to-system-and-user-var...

http://www.infosemantics.com.au/adobe-captivate-advanced-actions/run-time-events

http://www.infosemantics.com.au/adobe-captivate-advanced-actions/single-actions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 02, 2014 Apr 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RodWard,

I'm sorry I'm not using the correct terminology. 

My problem is not with the close button - I created a hide variable that works perfectly when I click on the close button.  That is, it hides the lightbox when clicked (or "exectues an advanced action" to hide group).

advanced.png

What I am looking for is a way to show the lightbox in a drag and drop interaction when user does not drag the correct objects to the drop target.

advancedwrong.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  The bit you're not understanding now is the way Infinite Attempts works in Captivate. 

Take a look at this post to get the concept:

http://www.infosemantics.com.au/adobe-captivate/infinite-attempts-means-infinite-unsuccessful-attemp...

Since you have Infinite Attempts selected for your drag and drop operation, your On Last Attempt action will NEVER get executed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - I removed infinite attempts, so lightbox appears on failure.  However, this only solves half the problem.

Original problem:  If they do not select the correct 4 objects, I would like a lightbox to appear with feedback and an instruction to try the question again. User must X out of the lightbox to see the question and try again.

I want user to be able to attempt the question as many times as they need to - without having to make multiple copies of the question slide.  I suspect this may not be possible.

I still find it strange though.  The drag and drop interaction actions do not include ON LAST ATTEMPT.  It says ON FAILURE.  Even with infinite attempts, if user does not select correct response, Captivate can trigger a failure caption. I'm wondering if there is a way to trigger an object, image or group instead of a caption?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate's native drag and drop functionality might not be robust enough to do everything you want in this instance.  You can only trigger events ON Success, On Last (unsuccessful) Attempt, and when a target gets dropped on (whether or not it was successful or unsuccessful).  You need to figure out whether these events are enough to do what you want.  So far, I don't think they will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod.  I'll just leave this discussion open in hopes that someone might find a work around

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2014 Jul 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to Captivate 8 . when i drag & drop correctly, my failure message pops up. How can i check to see that my associations between source and target are correct?

Also, How do i hide my success message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dragdrop.pngHi

I'm using Captivate 7, but if they work the same way, you should see a DRAG AND DROP tab to the right of your screen where Properties/Library are.  If you don't see it, you may need to select Windows (from the top menu), and check Drag and Drop.  In the INTERACTION PROPERTIES section, click on Correct Answers... Note though, that if you haven't named your shapes, it might be tricky to identify your trop Targets and Drag Sources.

You can also select the "Show" checkbox next to Interaction ID.  This will show you the arrows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have interaction properties. Is yours under format, actions or options?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have “auto submit correct answers” is that the same thing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 11, 2014 Jul 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so strange that drag&drop is missing different failure captions while other quizzing slide don't.

Trying to allow 2 attempts, I'm becoming mad to display 2 different messages on failure, as it would be expected:

1. "wrong answer, please retry" (on first wrong attempt or any other attempt but not the last one allowed)

2. "wrong anwer" or even better "wrong answer, this is the right choice" giving a hint on the last attempt.

In my case, the failure caption appears each time, also on the last attempt, so which message can i insert on it? "retry" would be wrong, while after the first attempt the user should know he has another change to answer, isn't right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2014 Jul 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's just the way the drag and drop interaction is currently set up to work.  But it's not necessarily the end of the world.  Why don't you make the Failure caption display text from a user variable and use your Success or Failure actions to change the value of this variable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2014 Jul 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, Rod, maybe again I understand your explanation wrongly? Like with other question slides you only have a Success action that is executed on Success, however the Failure action will only be done when attempts are exhausted, how can you use it to change the Failure caption?

It can be done with the individual actions on drag action for target objects, not with the Failure action on the D&D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it would be necessary to distinguish between a failed attempt whitin the maximum attempts allowed and the last attempt.

I need to display different messages on the screen in these two situations. failure caption appears always when answer is wrong, so i thougt to place a different message aside the failure caption like this:

"please try again" if you are not on the last attempt allowed

"you have no more try left" or something similar on the last attempt.

otherwise, how can the user know if he has more attempts left or not?

so, maybe this can be achieved using advanced action. Is there any variable related to the attempt of one question, and or the last attempt? in this way i could use a conditional action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No system variable for attempts on question level, none for D&D neither. You will have to create a user variable, that you'll increment after first attempt and use that variable to choose the right caption or populate another user variable that is inserted in the Failure caption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanx Lilybiri, which action name is associated to submission? I can't find it since some object in D&D are reserved and not editable, like the submit button. I would like to trigger that action on the submit button, but can't find how.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2014 Jul 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I already tried to tell, Submit will launch either the Success or the Failure action (which is only after last attempt). You don't have control over the actions after first attempt,..... Only thing that happens is the Failure caption showing.

It is not a simple problem, and sorry, but I have no time to try to find a workaround with user variables and the individual actions for the target objects. Maybe someone of the staff or Rod can propose something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quite correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 14, 2014 Jul 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no way i can make this working, so i made a workaround for now, a message that appears on last attempt triggered on failed event. Furthermore, while flash version works fine, html5 version of D&D is buggy, the feature "pause after xx sec" does not work and i cant pause the slide at the end, neither using a hidden button with pause inside. Also, some drag items disappears and the feature to avoid just 1 item on drop target does not work. I'm using Captivate 7, do you know if version 8 has fixed these bugs? We have tried to convince a very important customer of us to migrate lot of courses from Storyline to Captivate for several reasons, including a better experience on ipad, I don't know if we are particuary unlucky, but D&D is really difficult to set up working, compared to Storyline. Another feature that for sure is really appreciated in Storyline is the capability of control different layers with individual timeline, in this way you can display, animate and control different content and audio very easily compared to conditional actions in Captivate, that are limited to single object. But this is another topic, we at least would like to set up a working d&d in html5...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2014 Oct 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, the Drag and Drop interaction could be a bit more rigorous. I think I see a way to make your interaction work as you want it to. I am wrestling with a similar scenario. Here is what I have played with...seems to work, might need a bit more tweaking for a smooth appearance, but it is not bad at all.

Set D&D On Success as desired (Next slide...whatever). Set On Failure to Execute Advanced Action. Create an Advanced Action to Show your lightbox group. Create another Advanced Action associated with the close button on your lightbox. That advanced action will both Hide the lightbox message group and Jump to the slide immediately preceding your Drag and Drop slide. You will create that preceding dummy slide to look just like your Drag and Drop slide, but with no interaction at all. This new dummy slide allows the D&D interaction to reset each time there is a failure. Set the dummy slide to display for a split second before forwarding to your true D&D interaction slide. If you build this slide to match your D&D slide exactly, the transition should be imperceptible.

Also, set your D&D No. of Attempts to 1 and turn off Failure Caption, as you have created a lightbox group to serve that purpose.  Seems to work great when I try it. For the learner, a Fail triggers the lightbox. When the lightbox is closed, the D&D interaction seems to reset and start again smoothly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2015 Jan 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EBC,

Your suggested solution seems great.  However, when I implemented it, my D&D interaction is not resetting.  Is there any kind of script I can place in the Advanced Action to force the D&D interaction to reset? 

The built in Reset radio button for the D&D is only available when Infinite Attempts is selected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drag&Drop is automatically reset when you leave the slide for another slide and come back to the original one. I thought the proposed solution was working with a dummy slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found a different thread that addresses the problem.  The D&D interaction will only reset if it is not included in the quiz.  When I unchecked the "Include in Quiz" box, it reset like I wanted it to.  The problem is I need it to be included in the quiz. 

I may cheat a little bit.  I have an Advanced Action set up to show a custom caption and Continue button on Success of the D&D interaction.  I may make that continue button report to the quiz instead of the actual D&D interaction. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources