Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Simple ODBC connections to LC forms using LC Designer

Employee

This tutorials demonstrates how to setup and connect to an MS Access Database using Adobe LiveCycle Designer.

1 Reply

Level 6

Great video.

I've successfully established a connection to an Access database and all is working well with the form.

However, I noticed that whenever the form is opened (and after approving the connection), it immediately populates the form with data from the first table record. Is there a way to stop this from happening?  Reason being, I’d like to use this process for completing “blank” forms and simply pushing the data to the database. At present, I’m not really interested in “reading” records and populating the form.

So basically, I want to be able to open a balnk version of the form, complete it (and even perform incremental saves and the form maaintinas where I last left off - typical scenario), and only  “Add” a new record to the database when the form is completed.

Other misc. questions:

- This is a local (offline) solution correct? Meaning, the user doesn’t need to be online since the data connection is a direct connection to the Access database, correct?  If so, does the Access DB need to be actively running on the local machine in order for the form to push/update data in the table/record?

- Is there anything special when working with logic-based dynamic forms with hidden subforms?  So, let’s say a subform group with 5 fields remains hidden until a user select “yes” to a particular question. I presume I can still establish data binding to those hidden fields correct?

- By establishing a direct connection to Access and creating the field names in Access, is there no longer a need to embed a schema in LC Designer - since the the structure comes straight from the database?

- Is there any help material in regards to performing a lookup function (i.e. using a field as the lookup variable).

Thanks in advance.

Shaun