Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reader won't start, reinstall doesn't help

Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2014 Mar 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Having trouble with a couple of computers where Adobe Reader won't start up. This is only hapenning on two of our workstations. All are Windows 7 64 bit fully patched. Anti-virus is ESET. Reader is latest 11.0.6.

Upon log in you are presented with an error dialogue titled "reader_sl.exe - application error" with the text "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000022). Click OK to close the application."

When you try to start Reader, you get the "Adobe Reader Protected Mode" dialogue. Attempting to open without protected mode results in a "Fatal Error" dialogue stating "Acrobat failed to load its Core DLL".

What I've tried so far includes removing then reinstalling Reader,  using the Reader cleanup app and then reinstalling, running a full virus scan, disabling AV, using the TDSSKiller app from Kaspersky.

Anyone have any clues on how to get Reader working or what I should be debugging next?

Thanks.

Ronny

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so. TDSSKiller found nothing. Neither did ESET. Nor F-Prot.

Edit: As far as I can tell, this machine was never infected with anything.

The answer seems to lie elsewhere.

Ronny

Message was edited by: RonnyAdsetts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the Karspesky site:

Rootkit: these are utilities used to conceal malicious activity. They disguise Malware, to prevent from being detected by the antivirus applications. Rootkits can also modify operating system on the computer and substitute its main functions to disguise its presence and actions that violator makes on the infected computer.

(My emphasis).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2014 Mar 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your comment.

I'm 90-95% certain that there's no rootkit on this computer. There's zero suspicious activity on the network. Snort logs on the gateway show nothing from that host. It's possible there's something dormant there hence the lack of 100% certainty.

I'll try and get a trace of Reader later to see if I can get to the bottom of why it's failing.

Ronny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2014 Apr 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem was permissions on c:\windows\SysWOW64\msvcr100.dll. Changing them so users have read/execute access resolves the problem.

Of course, no idea what messed up the permissions in the first place.

Message was edited by: RonnyAdsetts - typo corrections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2014 Sep 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To follow up on this issue, I've just had it occur on another workstation in our environment. Still no idea of the initial cause.

Ronny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How nice to have a simple solution that solved this issue right after a major windows 10 software upgrade   (64-bit system)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How nice to have a simple solution that solved this issue right after a major windows 10 software upgrade   (64-bit system)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2014 Oct 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, have done the following to try and resolve.

Ran 3 different Rootkit Detectors including Kapersky.

Ran Sophos Scan

Ran sfc /scannow

have reinstalled twice, including a full uninstall and also using the Adobe Clean tool.

Getting very upset and frustrated with this issue, its not malware related in this instance and Adobe need to get their act together.

Have worked in IT support for years now and I have seen more issues with Reader in the last month than ever.

Its become a horrible buggy piece of software.

EDIT: Not to mention the error code is ridiculous, what DLL are we even talking about here?

So frustrated... FML

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2016 Jul 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue now. I have done everything advised to sort the problem to no avail. Have you had any luck since?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran in to this myself, I ended up disabling the Adobe Update Service in Services and was able to work around the problem that way.

Sorry I'm late to the party.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines