• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AIR Webkit upgrade

Sep 11, 2013 Sep 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

As you can see in the topic below, i'm totally stuck with AIR and Google Maps JS V3 embedded into my air application.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18723453/air-and-google-maps-javascript-v3-street-view/18724082?n...

Can i just upgrade the webkit version used by AIR?

Otherwise... are you planning to upgrade it? The current one was used by Safari in 2010!

Thank you

Davide

TOPICS
Performance issues

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Sep 24, 2013 Sep 24, 2013

Hi Chris

I am also desperate for an update to webkit.

The current browser object is awful. To see how bad it is, just make a simple browser app and try surfing the web for 10 minutes. It's so bad that I'm going to have to use Chrome or Mozilla in my current project. I couldn't possibly release something to the public that uses the current flex browser object.

Davide has kindly created a bug report and the link is:

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3630656

He posted it on StackOverflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 11, 2013 Sep 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We don't have any immediate plans to update the built in webkit.  We've recently made changes to StageWebView to leverage the system's browser engine but that only allows very basic interaction with the html content.

I know this is a common question but I couldn't find a feature request on our bug database.  If you get a chance, I would recommend adding one on http://bugbase.adobe.com and posting back with the URL so that others can add their votes and comments.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2013 Sep 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris

I am also desperate for an update to webkit.

The current browser object is awful. To see how bad it is, just make a simple browser app and try surfing the web for 10 minutes. It's so bad that I'm going to have to use Chrome or Mozilla in my current project. I couldn't possibly release something to the public that uses the current flex browser object.

Davide has kindly created a bug report and the link is:

He posted it on StackOverflow. Unfortunately, I don't have voting privileges.

Kind Regards,

Adrian Smith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 25, 2013 Sep 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Adrian Smith already suggested, this is the link of the bugbase ticket i've open

Please consider an update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 28, 2014 Feb 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish Adobe would consider the votes in the bugbase, and just consider the request in the bugbase in general. There are so many bugs and feature requests in there from years ago, many are marked to track, and some have even been completed, but Adobe has not updated the status' in the bugbase. The webkit update has 33 votes as of today. That represents who knows how many 10's of thousands of users that can benefit from an upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2014 Mar 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's nearly 6 months since we started this thread. Could we have a status update? Has this issue been reviewed? What was the decision? Is the Webkit component ever going to receive an update or is that the end of it? If so please make a statement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 03, 2014 Mar 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No changes from our side.  The current long term plan as I know it is to find ways to reduce the dependency on the internal version of webkit and instead leverage StageWebView's ability to use the system level browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2014 Mar 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The StageWebView does not have the same functionality as the HTML component:

"The StageWebView class provides a simple means to display HTML content on devices where the HTMLLoader class is not supported. The class provides no interaction between ActionScript and the HTML content except through the methods and properties of the StageWebView class itself. There is, for example, no way to pass values or call functions between ActionScript and JavaScript."

According to business analysts 80% of businesses fail because they ignore their customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2014 Mar 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I ask how this strategy works for your AIR desktop customers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2014 Apr 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started making products that used ADOBE AIR taking in consideration the support and confidence I will have.

If there is no confidence in what ADOBE is saying ... taking in consideration the lack of support for sold ideeas... then in the future trust will be lost in any new development tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 10, 2015 Sep 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Any updates on webkit upgrade or replacing it with system browser? In addition included webkit being really old, it will have issues related to security in coming year. Looks like included webkit support only TLS1.0 which is considered insecure. PCI-DSS security standard have set deadline for TLS 1.0 support ( https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/documents/Migrating_from_SSL_Early_TLS_Information%20Supplement...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 10, 2015 Sep 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, Chris Campbell had opened a thread about it here, it's an ongoing discussion: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1494000

Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 15, 2014 Mar 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not new to flex but I've not used the html component much. In an effort to reduce my dependency on AIR I decided to run most of the content in the html component only to find its old and crap just like the rest of it! Desktop AIR that it.

I think if this carries on Adobes customers will go away, which seems to be what they want.

Why do Adobe contribute to webkit and then ignore including in thier own products, its crazy.

Air used to be awesome, the current situation with Adobe and Apache is frustrating to say the least.

Just another sad flex user,

Nigel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe - I am now also desperate for an upgrade to WebKit.    I have applications in the field that use Google Maps, and in February they withdrew support for the version of WebKit you are using.  I need interaction between the map JavaScript code and Actionscript and StageWebView can't do that (as far as I know). I need to call JavaScript routines from AS and have callbacks as well to "call" AS code from Javascript.

Please can we get an update.

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

calling javascript routine from AS is easy with stagewebview: webView.loadURL("javascript:myjsfunc('hello')");

calling AS from javascript is trickier. You have to listen locationChanging, capture the url, decode your call and preventDefault. On the js side, change the location to trigger the locationChanging with your params.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.   I'll try this over the next couple of days and let you know how it goes.  Again, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It looks like the fundamental problem is that Google is actively using new features from EcmaScript 6 in the new versions of their API, and both StageWebView and HTMLLoader do not support these features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried - I'm still not sure that I have made any advances.

I have the Java code, and can call into it using the ("javascript:myjsfunc()").  I have a questions about that - can you only pass string parameters (more specifically how do you pass an array of points)?

But more important is that I'm getting the same errors as when I use HTMLLoader and the underlying WebKit browser.

In AS3, I load my page and wait for the COMPLETE event. I then call

mWebView.loadURL( "javascript:Initialize()" );

and the javascript code is

function Initialize() {

var center = new google.maps.LatLng( 33.68, -112.1 );

var mapOptions = { center : center,

zoom : 9,

mapTypeId : google.maps.MapTypeId.TERRAIN,

streetViewControl : false }

mMap = new google.maps.Map( document.getElementById('map-canvas'), mapOptions );

}

I can trace my way through the function, but just after it returns I get this message, which is what I was getting using HTMLLoader.  I see the map, but then cannot draw on it.

TypeError: Result of expression 'this.H.bind' [undefined] is not a function.

at https://maps.googleapis.com/maps-api-v3/api/js/31/8b/marker.js : 58

at https://maps.googleapis.com/maps-api-v3/api/js/31/8b/marker.js : 40

at https://maps.googleapis.com/maps-api-v3/api/js/31/8b/marker.js : 60

at https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/js?key=AIzaSyB_zEmHngF_EPsKVyPCtZLabw9TxA36CfQ&sensor=false&v=3 : 81

at https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/js?key=AIzaSyB_zEmHngF_EPsKVyPCtZLabw9TxA36CfQ&sensor=false&v=3 : 38

Any hints will help, or I need to find a third party browser and move to ANE.

thanks

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines