• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH 10: Generating local help using WebHelp to chm Converter; local help does not open.

New Here ,
Mar 28, 2014 Mar 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note: I am relatively new to RoboHelp: formerly a contract writer, a senior staff member used my content when creating Help.  She's left, and now I am using the tools she set up on RoboHelp to write and create both local and remote (online) versions of Help content.

Have created online versions successfully for several products. Local has been more problematic.

Using RoboHelp 10; for the past 2 days, tyring to generate local help using WebHelp to chm Converter which uses Webhelp for chm ssl provided by my predicessor.  Files generate successfully and I can open and view them.

When added to the application, however, they do not open. We're trying to RTM, but gated behind getting a working local help. 

Investigations:

1. Opened older files (ones that predate me), generated local help, installed chm into current application.  Opened, but did not include the skin. (Is that normal? Can I have the skin in local help?)
  2. Checked current Webhelp for chm ssl against older ones -- only changes are to the "title bar" and "content title" to reflect new name for product.) Also, ealier verision had browse sequence indicated in WEbHelp Settings, Content tab, but none of the indicated files were actually checked.  ALL OTHER SETTINGS THE SAME.
  3. Checked output reports for both ealier local help (that worked) and current (that doesn't). Mostly the files have the same HHC3004 warnings:

HHC3004: Warning:

work_with_word.htm :

The HTML tag "?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).

topics_with_feedback_footer.htt :

The HTML tag "?rh-region_start type="body" ?" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).

1. One file has multiple HHC3004 warnings.

topics_with_feedback_footer.htt :

The HTML tag "?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).

topic_notes.htm :

(and a few more)

But since these warnings were for both the successful and unsuccess Local output files, I'm not sure they are relevant.

Any ideas out there? 

Kasey

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2014 Apr 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"We're trying to RTM, but gated behind getting a working local help." Not sure what you mean by that.

Is the issue that on your PC the CHM works correctly but not when called by the app?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2014 May 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for replying, Peter, we found that our problem was in the area of Map Codes--for some reason the map codes from the previous version of the help content did not carry over into this version in the Map Code .h file, so the application was calling codes, but the pages were not associated with the codes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp