Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multi-authoring with source control with RH10 and RH11

Participant ,
Apr 14, 2014 Apr 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Situation:

• Writer A is running RH10. Writer A opens Project A, from Visual Studio Source Control, which is connected to a Team Foundation Server.
  • A new employee, Writer B, has been given RH11.
  • Writer A can't install RH11 until after mid-June because of tight schedules (can't afford any upgrade problems).
  • Writer B is supposed to work on the same Help project. (We know that RoboHelp does not support checking out the same file at the same time.)

If Writer B configures her version of RH11 to work with TFS and Source Control, can she open Project A and work on it (from Source Control) without causing problems for Writer A?

Thanks.

Carol Levine

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Apr 14, 2014 Apr 14, 2014

Hi, Carol

From the scenario you outline, (unless I'm missing something) I don't think so. Writer B could certainly open Project A. But upon opening she will be given a dialog asking that she "upgrade" it to the Rh11 format. Unfortunately, it is a one-way street. Once converted, Writer A could not then open it in Rh10. Grasping here for workarounds, perhaps Writer B could create content in Word which you could import or "Link" to your Rh10 project and update periodically until June, but this is pr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Apr 14, 2014 Apr 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Carol

From the scenario you outline, (unless I'm missing something) I don't think so. Writer B could certainly open Project A. But upon opening she will be given a dialog asking that she "upgrade" it to the Rh11 format. Unfortunately, it is a one-way street. Once converted, Writer A could not then open it in Rh10. Grasping here for workarounds, perhaps Writer B could create content in Word which you could import or "Link" to your Rh10 project and update periodically until June, but this is probably not practical. Maybe someone else has a better idea?

John Daigle

Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor

Evergreen, Colorado

www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 15, 2014 Apr 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, John. Your answer confirms my suspicions.

I assume Writer B can create topics in RH11, which I can then import into Project A (RH10).

Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carol

I just tested that scenario because I was nearly certain it would fail. But I was surprised to see that a topic I created in RH11 did import into RH10 with no quibbling or issue.

Then again, it was a pretty simple topic. No bells or whistles such as placeholders or whatever. So as always, your mileage may vary.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Writer B is not using Source Control or it is competely separate from Writer A, possibly but I still would not be comfortable.

I think I would rather upgrade Writer A and I note your reservations. It's your call but it's like being between the devil and the deep blue sea. Neither is ideal.

So far it looks like Rh11 upgrades have been OK.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the information about RH11, Peter.

Writer B would be working locally until Writer A (me!) upgrades some time in June. We don't create a lot of complicated topics and so I think having Writer B create topics in RH11 for me to import will probably work.

Regards,

Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp