• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audio out of sync by Adobe premiere cs5.5

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2011 Aug 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a major problem. It's not a new problem because I had the same problem in CS3, but expected that the problem would be fixed in CS5.5.

With HDV-video sometimes the audio get out of sync. Before the audio gets out of sync there is a problem with some frames. There are a lot of blocks in the video and after that the video is normal, but the audio is out of sync. Because the audio is ahead of the video I think that in fact the video is out of sync (because of the frame problem earlier).

But now the strangest thing: when I play the video in Windows Media Player or VLC there is NO problem! It's fine! There are no corrupt frames and the audio stays in sync.

So the capturing is OK. It makes no difference capturing with Adobe Premiere (*.mpeg) or with HDVsplit (*.m2t).

Adobe renders the files when importing and I think there is the problem, but what is the solution?

Please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2011 Aug 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When there are blocks in the video usually means the heads are dirty.

So you might want to use a cleaning tape.

To avoid out of sync capture with scene detection on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2011 Sep 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am suprised that there are so many threads on this topic and no actual solutions. Its seems evident that there is a clear bug with the premiere software. There are no issues with captured files, like the meesterm posted above because the original clips played by any other player like (windows media, vlc, media player) have no issues and are perfectly insync. It is only when they clips are in premiere cs 5.5 that they become out of sync.

There are users here that offer wasting time (which I have done unfortunately and realized that there are no apperant fixes) searching through all the previous posts or suggest some bogus computer issue are the problem and recommend other software for work arounds (which is ridiculous IMO and insulting to the person who just shelled out fifteen hundred and was expecting the software to work properly and as advertised). I would like an answer from adobe personal to acknowledge that this is a known bug and if so, give a time table when it's expected to be resolved since this has been happening to me since CS4 or someone that has had this problem and was able to correct it.

Again, if the the original clip files are insync with every other application, then there shouldn't be an issue within premiere cs5.5.

Attempted:

Cleaned media cache (canceled out corrupt files)

Checked sequence and settings of media

Switched from HDV tapes to CF (compact flash) media

System:

12gb ram

gtx 285 x2 in SLI

i7 960

80gb SSD HD - OS & Adobe Applications

600 gb x4 (raid 0) - Captured media and work files

Premiere CS5.5 with latest updates

Sony Z5 HDV and CF recording

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 04, 2011 Sep 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

You don't need to post the same thing in multiple topics.  Please stop doing that.  Pick one and stick with it.

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2011 Sep 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted in different topics because they are all relate to the same issue and can potentially be merged by the moderators.

Like most other forums, open issues get an occasional "bump" to bring it to the top of the message board.

None of the three topic that I posted in, have been resolved and need attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 05, 2011 Sep 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the three topic that I posted in, have been resolved and need attention

Fair enough.  What they don't need is the identical post in all three topics.  Your most recent contributions to those other topics were handled much better.  Thanks.

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2011 Dec 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this doesn't help, but if misery loves company...

I have had the same issue for over a year.  Most recently I shot a Christmas concert, 1.5 hours long.

I have spent probably 4 hours editing and an additional 10 hours trying to get everything in sync.  When all finally looked well, I rendered it. Now parts are again out of sync again! 

As other have posted, it plays fine in any other application I have tried.

It happens with tape as well as my digital video recorder. It is not my computer; I have tried it on others. It is not hardware, dirty heads or any of the other things I have spent countless hours troubleshooting.

IT IS PREMIERE CS4, CS5, and apparently CS 5.5.

This is not a little known issue; it’s not a new issue. It is a huge problem for those of that need to get quality projects to our customers in a timely fashion.

Adobe, where are you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2012 Jan 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I had to review this product, I would say it was a piece of garbage. Oh, it's easy to use but producing videos that have out-of-sync audio is absolutely unacceptable. This is rediculous. I want answers. Please let me know if this is solved. I have customers who are waiting.

Is anyone else on this thread who's having this problem using multiple monitors?

Is there another thread I should be posting in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2012 Jan 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was looking very forward to using Adobe Premiere for my project. Downloaded the trial and had every intention of purchasing the product. I raved with my co-workers how much faster Premiere was than other apps I was working with. 

My project to test with involves an amazing talking bird, Bibi. Have all the original footage perfectly in sync. Made clips from that footage that were fine through nearly all of the editing phases. Sound mix went well. No complaints at all. Then I open up one of my sequences to find some of the clips have no audio or audio out of sync. When the clips were created... everything was fine. Now even the orginial imported raw files based on those clips is out of  sync or audio is completely missing... inside of Premiere. If I open the clips in other software... even free players; the video plays perfectly fine.

Part of the frustration reading through so many 'solutions' is that people are missing the fact that all the people I've seen complain have quality original files that play fine outside Premiere.

Here is some of my testing and frustrations..

I made a copy of the original raw file... then imported it again from the copy. The copy is fine now in Premiere. The original is still messed up as well as all the clips based on the original. Everything is fine with the new 'copy'. For now. And that is the issue. I can rewire my clips from the original. But what happens if I open the project tomorrow and my subclips are messed up once again? When I read the posts and this forum and Adobe's attention to the issue I realized I can't go ahead with Premiere as my software for this project. Thank you Adobe for the trial... it kept me from making a huge mistake in investing in this software and the support offered as it is.

The troubleshooting sequence involved here is not complicated. The original footage plays fine in other players. The clips were of course  created when the audio and video were all perfectly in sync. I had played the sequence and even have rendered outputs at various stages of editing. All was well. At some point clips based on some of my orginal sources fell out of  sync with the audio or lost audio entirely. When I go to the original source media inside of Premiere... it plays messed up just like the clips. The source itself appears corrupt. However, when I play that source in other players it is fine. When I make a copy of that original source and import the file... then Premiere behaves as it should. The frustrating part is that even if I re-load the source into the same clip so I can preserve my sub-clip... Premiere still has it all garbaged up. If at least I could make a copy and the re-import on top of the orginal that is corrupted i could work around the issue if it happens again. Currently it seems the only way is to re-capture every single clip one by one. In this project I did many many sub-clips... hundreds of them sometimes only involving a second or less of video. I can't afford to go through and re-builld subclips EVER. If Premiere can't remember the edits and keep them solid throughout the workflow or give us a way to quickly fix them... we simply can't use this software.

If Adobe could offer a workflow solution that can keep this from happening in the future... I will follow it. If I felt that there was real urgency placed on this issue and that other people who had this problem were given solutions, I would be far more encouraged.

Does Adobe need more support staff? Does the software need a simple patch so that at least if our clips get out of sync we can get them back in again?

I have the money to spend on this software if Adobe can provide a solution to this issue. Otherwise I would have to say this "trial" has been a nightmare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2012 Jan 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a professional editor and switched from FINAL CUT when they left us in the consumer dust. I LOVE CS5.5 and all of the workflow. HOWEVER! We are still editing and using a lot of media shot on HDV. We have so MANY projects that are missing AUDIO. When the HDV MPEG files are in Premiere they do not play audio. Sometimes with a strange scrub back and forth you can get audio for a couple of minutes but it then vanishes! We have tried just about everything! All of the files play back JUST fine on Windows Media Player.

ADOBE... I HAVE 4 EDIT SUITES and OUR COMPANY MADE THE SWITCH. PLEASE SEND US A FIX FOR THIS MAJORE ISSUE OR BACK TO FINAL CUT PRO WE GO.

JB-

www.mwctv.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2012 Feb 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am really upset over this issue. I just did a 5 day shoot in HDV and am seeing this issue as well. I've been using Premiere for years with DV and have never seen this. Now I'm suddenly having to deal with an issue that has been plaguing Adobe users for years and the problem has never been solved? I tried playing the same files in Corel Video Studio X3, which cost me all of $50 and it works fine in there. Yet, Adobe's $799 product can't play the file correctly. This is not good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

....I just did a 5 day shoot in HDV...

What exactly is your HDV?  ie. what camera did you use and tell us a bit more about your files.

I am assuming you shot to HDV tape but maybe not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used a Sony HVRA1U camera in 1080i mode. As far as the tape goes, that is irrelevant since every other player and application plays the files fine. This is strictly a Premiere issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well,

After many heads in our office were put together for several days, we have found several ways of fixing this issue. Here they are:

1. Be sure you are using a 7200rpm hard drive... (hey, some folks don't know this)

2. IF your drive is an external drive through USB, make sure that it is the ONLY item plugged into the USB ports (with the exception of mouse/keyboard) (We discovered this messed with the initial writing of the footage)

3. Make sure that all power saving functions on the drive are disabled (including any internal drives)

4. If your writing to internal drives make sure that no other programs are running EXCEPT Adobe.

5. If you have less than 16gigs of RAM be sure to set the tape to import and LEAVE THE COMPUTER ALONE. DO NOT EVEN SURF THE WEB.

6. RESTART after each tape has been imported. (I know, a pain in the arse, but is an extra precaution.)

7. IF the footage plays back fine in WMV and other programs, then start a NEW ADOBE EDIT SESSION. Import the files ONE AT A TIME into your new Edit Bins. BE SURE to look at the bottom right of the screen and WAIT FOR THE FILE to finish

INDEXING AND CONFORMING. Once finished, SAVE, then IMPORT the next clip. Repeat the process until ALL IMPORTED FILES HAVE BEEN INDEXED AND CONFORMED.

8. If you suddenly lose audio while you are editing, delete the clip and drop it back into the sequence. If it still continues, delete the clip from the BIN, restart ADOBE, and then RE-IMPORT the file into the Sequence. Remember to let it conform before DOING ANYTHING.

We have noticed that the audio can randomly dissappear. This issue (we think) stems from the video file NOT indexing and conforming properly. If the issue consists, just re-import the tape into the computer using the steps above. IF it still continues, pull out your old MAC, IMPORT IN Final Cut 7 and then transfer the QUICKTIME over to ADOBE. That ALWAYS works.

Hope this helps!

-Jonathan Barbee

www.mwctv.com

Running 4 Adobe systems and 2 Final Cut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but if my $50 Corel Video Studio X3 can play the captured file correctly and render it correctly then I do NOT need to do any of the things on your list. Adobe needs to fix their bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2012 Feb 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using multiple monitors? I use a Dell Ultrasharp as my main preview monitor and an Acer for the Premiere interface. I find that this helps:

removing fullscreen playback from the main monitor,

de-maximizing the Adobe window and moving Premiere to the Dell (which happens to be my Monitor 1 in Windows).

Sometimes a restart before rendering helps, as well.

I've got 24 gigs ram, Quadro 4000, Echo AudioFire, Xeon six-core, Vertex solid state (Windows), Caviar black 2 Tb (data).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 25, 2012 Feb 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think what we have in this thread is a combination of things, and it's complicating the OP. For example, the non-indexing of clips (as can happen) is getting rolled into other matters. Solution for that is to close your project and re-open - this as often as not provides a solution. I often just clean out the media cache (on large projects) reopen and force new indexing. And whilst you're at it look specifically at where and how you are caching (I use a dedicated Raid 0 HDD array soley for that purpose).

But moving on: I just like to nail my colours to the Adobe mast here before I give my own experience of the audio out-of-sync issue - or perhaps (and more realistically) it's the video out of sync with the audio.

I love my Adobe Production Premium CS5.5, and my edit user experience in the whole is good - yes, there are some niggles (as this forum knows) but from what I read of other software and user experiences it's not worth the candle changing - the grass (supposedly) is always greener somewhere else.

I had the out-of-sync issue a while back (and sometimes still do). Simply, the HDV clip showed drop-like frames - tape drop out (this issue was from a Sony Z5). Windows Media Player showed no drops or clip issues, but sure enough in Prem Pro I lost audio sync with that clip - and only that clip, but better described as video lag by about 15 frames or more. Also understand the problem - video lag suggests a video problem not an audio problem - this could be due to video delays caused by third party video effects, or simply a bloated video effects or video processing chain.

Interesting to note that this thread has had over 1,600 views - it would seem this is an on-going issue. Interesting also not to see an Adobe Employee responding. But yes, Ann Bens as a Community Professional has offered a suggestion. I think it's wise to first follow that and troubleshoot the issue more logically.

The solution in such a situation is to first recapture the clip and do as Ann has suggested and capture without using the Scene Detect function. Clearly there is a problem, but I do suspect that the clip is dropping frames or at least Prem Pro believes that it is.

Interesting to note, I have not had this problem with AVCHD clips (from a Sony NX5 - solid state storage) just the occasional HDV clips from tape media - a Windows Media Player does NOT spot it.

Yes, like most, I get stressed when on a deadline with a client, but sometimes you have to desconstruct the problem and help yourself - not blame Adobe for it. Every manufacturer has their wrinkles - no doubt FCP and all the other stuff has too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2012 Feb 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow... glad I read this.  I was in the process of migrating over to Adobe Premiere after using Sony Vegas since verson 3.  However I still process a lot of HDV and I have not had to deal with sync problems for years.  I don't plan on starting that nightmare again.  I'll stay on the fence for now and hope Adobe addresses this issue.  It's disturbing that it has gone on so long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 28, 2012 Feb 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi StormMarc,

Wow too - What chance of me being at the KYBD at this time in the UK?

I do not think you should be worried. The majority of my footage is tape HDV. I am not worried. There will be tape drops - fact. They are rare if you do due diligence to your workflow.

I have had little problem with video lag against audio due to drop. The problem identified in this thread is (I believe) people confusing other identiified niggles with other minor issues.

The important thing here is identifying what is believed to be a problem - if you have tape drops (and like most edit software) it will blink.

The solution has been proposed earlier in this post - I concur - clear your cache - re-capture - end of...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 29, 2012 Feb 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Drystonewall,

I would have to respectfully disagree with you on this. The things suggested are workarounds for a product that simply doesn't work correctly. In addition, I have tried all of them, while sometimes they help other times they do not. I have had videos with no dropouts where the video and audio start fine, but as the video progresses with audio/ video get more and more out of sync.

I would say to StromMarc to seriously consider another product. First of all, because this product doesn’t work correctly. Secondly, and more importantly, Adobe has offered nothing for a fix. It tells me they really don't give a hoot about their customers that have paid a lot of money for their product. I think they would be well advised to stop worrying about adding more and more features and concentrate on fixing the problems that prevent people from being able to complete projects without trying to fix problems that they should have already addressed. As has been stated the video is not the issue. Other programs can play the video without issue, It is a problem with the software and we as end users should have to spend our time trying all the workarounds, IT SHOULD WORK!

I’m an IT director and work with any different programs and can tell you that they all have their issues. The difference here is that other companies, for the most part, actually care and do what is need to make their customers satisfied. Apparently Adobe has a different philosophy. I apologize for my tone but this is ridicules

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I agree that I can't really look at possible sync issues as no big deal.  I went through that in the days of DV Master and Speed Razor and it was maddening.  I do a fair amount of long form projects and to have that happen in the middle is not an option for me.  A reply from Adobe that they are working on a fix would be helpful.  With all of the people coming over from Final Cut I'd imagine this could create some bad blood for them.  Perhaps they are banking that not many people are still using HDV.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got around this problem by checking Scene Detect when capturing. However, I still have issues when exporting from an mpeg file to another mpeg variant. That I can deal with, but I would still like adobe to fix the issue with audio sync without scene detect. I'm beginning to think that no one from technical support watches these forums or cares. Do we have to pay for a support ticket to get an answer to this? Has anyone used the support system to ask about this issue? Does anyone know if they have or have any intention of ever working on a fix for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm beginning to think that no one from technical support watches these forums

That's actually true.  These are user forums.  Adobe's technical support is a paid service.  But the bug reporting system, which is monitored, is free.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2012 Mar 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting... I read the bug report policy and it sounds like they do not respond personally.  Does Adobe ever send out acknowledgement that your bug is confirmed and they are working on it? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 01, 2012 Mar 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Does Adobe ever send out acknowledgement that your bug is confirmed and they are working on it?

We respond if we need more information.

Sometimes, if we've identified a big bug and are sure of being able to get out a bug-fix update in a certain time, we'll announce that here.

For example...

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3383411#3383411

But we can't respond to every bug report. If we did, we wouldn't have a lot of time left to fix and improve the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines