Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Update/Installation annoying

Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2014 Apr 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Just very annoyed with Flash Player installation process.

1. It wants me to download, unpack and install it manually (MAC). It is 21st century. Just ridiculous.
  2. It asks me to quit Safari.
  3. Ok, I quit Safari leaving all my tabs open because my Safari is configuret to open all the tabs from previous session on the next launch.
  4. When Flash Player is installed it automatically opens a totally useless page just to inform about the installation success. And this stupid page just opens alone. All my tabs from previous session are gone.

After step 4 I hate Flash, I hate corporate programmers who do not think about user and I hate Adobe.

Job done.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 15, 2014 Apr 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amen.

Just got done updating it today.

I think I liked the previous update style better: "Click here to update/install," and it would automatically download/install the update. Then just click the "Done" button when it was done. Not all this running around from browser to Downloads folder, back to browser to Finder (to eject the Disk Image), etc.

Blech!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2014 Apr 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ever hear of "Gatekeeper"?

It makes it very difficult to design updaters, because EACH and EVERY update has to go through Apple approval. The updater, the downloader, the installer - ALL must get Apple approval to be added to the Gatekeeper protection definitions and then Apple has to update Gatekeeper BEFORE a software company can release their "approved" installer/updater. 

Companies like Microsoft (with Office Mac) or Roxio, don't release updates that often, so it's not a big deal for them to go through the Gatekeeper approval. Flash Player is updated about every six weeks. And on top of that, there's still a big rift between Apple and Adobe over, of all things, Flash, so they'd likely stall Gatekeeper definition updates as long as they could and still avoid legal action. Adobe does the easy thing and uses an already approved DMG mounted, manual process for the installer.

It takes a little lonegr, sure. But it's less than coming here, logging in (or creating a new account), starting a thread and writing a rant about it. I could have installed it thrice at least in the time it took me to write this reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines