Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ZoomSearch for ASP

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2014 Apr 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have set up Zoomsearch for a Javascript platform based on Peter Grainge's instructions and it works. I tried to do the same for an ASP platform. First, I couldn't get the Search page to load, but that was because the Whskin_tbars.js was pointing to the search_template.html and I had it as search.html. Now, I can get the Search page to load, however, it only shows the text on top and not the search box.

This is what I see now:

Search this site

Enter one or more keywords to search for using the Zoom Search Engine.
Note that '*' and '?' wildcards are supported.

Has anyone come across this issue? How can I fix this?

Gail

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2014 Apr 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure on this one. Try Wrensoft support. They are familiar with the Rh procedure and they are very helpful.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2014 Apr 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter. I was able to find some information on Wrensoft and tried it out, but couldn't get it to work. JavaScript works well for me, but I also like to have the spelling option features and use the statistics reports.

Here is the link to troubleshoot the missing search form. Let me know if this solution worked for others.

http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/faq_problems.html#nosearchform

Also, for anyone who wants to know how to enable zoom on a CD for ASP, go to

http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/aspcd.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 14, 2014 Apr 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gail

I'm a bit confused here. Perhaps it's due to my limited understanding of ASP.

When I hear "ASP", I think in terms of something that happens on a server before an HTML page loads. I may be misunderstanding, but doesn't the ASP initialism reference "Active Server Pages"? So this would seem to imply to me that you have a database of some form on a server, and you have an outward facing HTML page that uses ASP code to dynamically present data based on some criteria, no?

I'm not sure about Zoom Search, but I know that RoboHelp's search is dependent on first generating the output files. That process creates the search index and other components needed for search to work. And at that point, everything is sort of "nailed down". Meaning that if you had a page that later produced a term that didn't exist at the time WebHelp was generated, good luck finding it because it wasn't factored in at the time you produced the output.

Perhaps Peter can offer more as far as ZoomSearch because he has worked with it a bit.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2014 Apr 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick

ZoomSearch allows various file formats for its search page and ASP is one. It does not create the database on the fly, it siimply renders the data already created.

I recall that when I had to create a PHP setup, there was a similar problem and it was something the server guys had to do. I don't know what.

I do note you are playing with the whskin_tbars file. Why? The instructions on my site do not require that.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason I had to edit Whskin_tbars.js is because the Search button was pointed to open a Search.htm file and it was not loading. When I indexed the files, ZoomSearch created a search_template.html and I had to rename to point to the correct file. After I made this change, the search page loads with the text, but does not load the form.

These files are in the Search folder.

search.asp

settings.asp

search_template.html

zoom_dictionary.zdat

zoom_wordmap.zdat

zoom_pageinfo.zdat

zoom_pagedata.zdat

zoom_pagetext.zdat

zoom_recommended.zdat

zoom_spelling.zdat

I will have to check with a Developer and will post if I find a solution. In the meantime, if there is anyone else who has set up ZoomSearch for an ASP platform, can you post your instructions please?

I use RH10 right now and like to expand the offerings on the Search function. I have to build a case to get this software approved for use, but not sure if I can justify the purchase with just the JavaScript option because of its limitation. The other options support advanced features. I wish ZoomSearch can be installed as an RH extension, like it does for Dreamweaver.

One other question, I couldn't find many discussions around the topic. Would ZoomSearch work with Flare as long as the output is WebHelp?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have no idea whether or not ZoomSearch would work with Flare, sorry.

However, I know ZoomSearch creates an HTML file but, as I have said, my method takes that into account and works. I am not saying this is the cause of the problem, and I am more inclined to it being a server problem but it's always best to get rid of possibilities.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp