• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WebHelp - With help window open, second application click does not bring help window back into focus

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2014 Apr 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Using RH11 to create context sensitive WebHelp for use with apigee-to-go console.

Console allows URL calls to launch help in a new browser window (named within the help project).  Works fine except that the browser help window does not regain focus when subsequent context calls are made from the application.

Steps:

1. With application running in a browser window, I click a help link.  New browser window opens with correct help topic displayed.
  2. Return to application without closing help window.  Application window takes focus; help window moves to back.
  3. I click another help link. Help window does not regain focus.  However, it DOES move to the correct topic.

I've tried lots of things.  Nothing seems to fix this.

For reference, my context call looks like this:

http://<URL>/index.htm#<id=37>>wnd=HelpPopup

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Jeff Seltzer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2014 Apr 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this ever working for you? I think it’s just a side-effect of WebHelp…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2014 Apr 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the Calling WebHelp topic on my site will help.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2014 Apr 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter.

I've seen your site and it's tremendously helpful.

Unfortunately, it doesn't address my issue.

Robohelp is clearly using some javascript to parse the context ID and call the correct topic in the specified window.

Why it can't focus on the window being called seems strange to me.

Thanks again,

JLS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2014 Apr 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you see the bit about changing the "#" to "?"  ?

That is really for when using a URL rather than an ID and I'm not a developer so I don't know if it will work there.

If that's not of help, I suggest you take a look at Willam van Weelden's site as he has some more detailed information. http://www.wvanweelden.eu

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2014 Apr 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your call, you must bring focus to the page with the help. See for

example: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9008835/bring-popup-to-front

Kind regards,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2014 Apr 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the responses, but this doesn't really help.

I'm using a simple URL to make the call.

(That's all I can do within the web app API console I'm working with.)

If I knew how to crack open all of the javascript that RH creates (and had that much time to work on it), I'd try to address it.

I have to give up for now.

I've just appended >>newwnd=false to the end of my calls, so the help appears in another browser tab, rather than its own window.

This isn't great, since each call opens a new tab, but that's better than the help window disappearing behind the sea of open windows most of us have going on, only to cause the user to hunt for it (if they even know it's there).

So, <URL>/index.htm#<id=37>>wnd=HelpPopup

becomes <URL>/index.htm#<id=37>>wnd=HelpPopup>>newwnd=false

Thanks all for your pointers.

If I ever find the time to really work on this issue, I'll post a fix (if there is one).

(Again, I suspect this is just buggy RH javascript.  RH knows enough to update the contents of the help/browser window, but not enough to focus it.)

Best,

Jeff Seltzer

RoboHelp user since v1.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp