• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 5.4 assertion failed

Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2014 Apr 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Lightroom 5.4, but it will not start.  I just get a pop-up window that says "assertion failed."  I am running Windows 7 and have had no problems with Lightroom 5.3

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 17, 2014 Apr 17, 2014

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seeems to be an issue with some and has been noted by staff.... stay tuned! Sorry for this!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2014 Apr 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also had a copy of 5.3 that worked without any problems on my laptop, running Windows 7 ultimate.  IE.  Everything worked fine until I updated 5.3 from within the "update" in my 5.3 version.   I keep on also getting "assertion failed".  I have removed the LR5.3 and tried a clean install of the 5.4 trial version direct from the above site.  The same message appeared "assertion failed".  I have updated my windows, done a virus scan and nothing.   Any one else with any ideas on a solution?  This copy of 5.3 (windows version) was bought by downloading from adobe site and purchasing key (tradition way).   I have also a copy of 5.3 mac via cc and there were no issues with that copy upgrading to 5.4.   Any help appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found a work around for this problem.  Apparently, Lightroom 5.4 wants to be run as Administrator (whereas this was not necessary with 5.3).  In order to do this, either hold down the Alt. key while opening (double click) Lightroom or right click on the Lightroom icon and select properties from the context menu.

In either case, you will open the Properties window.  Select the Shortcut tab and click on Advanced...

In the Advanced Properties window, check the box Run as administrator.  You then click OK twice to complete the change.  You will receive a Access Denied.  Click Continue at this point.  If you are not signed in as an administrator, you will be prompted for the administrator password.  If you do not know the administrator password, you're out of luck.

Once you have successfully changed the properties, you can start Lightroom as usual.  Depending on whether or not you are signed in as the administrator, you will be prompted to allow the program to make changes to the computer (if you are an administrator) or to give the administrator password if you are not already an administrator.  This will happen every time you start Lightroom.

I do hope that Adobe provides a permanent fix or guidance for this problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tom, thanks for providing a possible workaround and a clue. Did you download and installed the Lr 5.4 from the Creative Cloud app or from within your browser directly?

Could you help us troubleshoot the problem further by following the instructions below?

1. Right click the Lightroom icon you use to launch on the desktop and choose Copy from the menu.
  2. Right click the Desktop and choose Paste from the menu.
  3. Right click the new icon and choose Properties... from the menu.
  4. In the Target field of the properties dialog append -tracebacks (separated from the path by a space):
    (It will look like this at the end when you're done (leave the rest of the path alone): lightroom.exe" -tracebacks)
  5. In the general tab, you might also want to change the name so you can easily visually distinguish this new icon from the original (we'll delete it when we're done).
  6. Go to this site in your browser: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896647.aspx
  7. On the right hand side of the page, click the "Run DebugView" link (it's safe – it's just a debug output viewer from Microsoft)
  8. Click through the Eula if necessary.
  9. With DebugView running, double click the new icon we created in steps 1-5.
  10. Repeat the steps in Lightroom that cause the error message or hang that you are seeing.
  11. Save the output. You can either highlight and copy/paste or choose "Save as..." from the menu to save the output to a file.

And please post or send me the saved log file to me ( sichen at adobe dot com ) and I’ll take a look.

Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2014 Apr 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have sent the log

What is the official view? Should I roll back to 5.3

I have the same problem as others- I have deleted the default my pictures folder ( pictures are across 2* 3TB drives)

Tried adding this back - no joy

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2014 Apr 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem last Sunday when I upgraded to 5.4 and to be honest I am a little annoyed because people were having the same issues about a week before I downloaded the upgrade. So I am wondering why the upgrade was/is still available.

I have gone back to 5.3 and await a fix on the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 17, 2014 Apr 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on more customer feedbacks, we have updated the description of the problem and describe a full workaround.

This Lightroom 5.4 error condition could happen if the standard Windows "My Pictures" virtual folder for your login account points to a physical directory that no longer exists. This could happen if,

1) The directory "C:\Users\<your Windows login account name>\Pictures\" was deleted, such that your Windows "My Pictures" virtual folder points to a default directory that is missing.

2) The directory "C:\Users\<your Windows login account name>\Pictures\" still exists in your account, but your Windows registry has been mis-configured such that your "My Pictures" virtual folder actually to point to a non-default directory location that is missing.

We'll fix the bug in the next Lightroom update. In the meantime, you have a workaroud described as follows:

1) Open up Windows Explorer

2) Confirm whether the directory "C:\Users\<your Windows login account name>\Pictures\" exists. Normally Windows also shows the "Pictures" directory as the virtual folder "C:\Users\<your Windows login account name>\My Pictures\".

3) In the Windows Explorer, navigate to your account folder "C:\Users\<your Windows login account name>\" and try to create a sub-directory named "Pictures". Skip this step if Windows reports that a directory named "Pictures" already exists in your account folder.

4) Then click the Windows Start button

5) In the "Search program and files" field, type regedit and hit Enter.

6) Navigate in the registry editor to the following Windows registry key entry [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders].

7) Check the data value for the entry named "My Pictures" if there is such an entry. The Windows default should be "%USERPROFILE%\Pictures" (without the double quote). This is the same default folder as "C:\Users\<your Windows login account name>\Pictures\" that you created at step 3.

8) If it points to a non-default directory location, you need to make sure that directory exists physically. Or you can double click on the "My Pictures" entry and reset the value to"%USERPROFILE%\Pictures" (without the double quote).

9) Quit the registry editor.

10) Then log off of your account and sign back in and relaunch Lr 5.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of these posts are helpful in using the LR mobile app with 5.4....I already subscribe to photoshopCC and before they offered LR I have been a user of LR since its inception and upgrade accordingly....

I don't want to download it fron the creative cloud of which I am entitled. I already have it installed......SO I am on a Mac and where is the fix from ADOBE???? SO one can use the new LR mobil APP?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

terri pakula wrote:

None of these posts are helpful in using the LR mobile app with 5.4...

Indeed this thread discusses a different topic - consider starting a new one to discuss your difficulties using Lr mobile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2014 Apr 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problems here. Solution-Roll back and install LR5.3 and all is fine. No troublesome and lenghtly work around, no need to edit your registry. My catalogs are back no fuss no muss. Wait for Adobe to release another update that works!

Update; If you are an oneone software customer, LR5.4 has also crashed that program. No longer able to open any onone plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2014 May 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to point out that the solution mentioned in the tech note does not solve the problem for people using the common Windows Offline Files funtionality. This has not a been a problem up to Lightroom 5.3, so it clearly is a bug of the 5.4 update. This must be fixed in the next update, otherwise Adobe excludes millions of users with Windows Offline Files. Hope the developers will listen to that (detailed problem despription see below).

Thanks,

Stephan

The registry entry at the place described in the tech note is \\myservername\home\myaccountname\My Pictures . This folder does exist, it is located on the server at my office. When working at home based on the Windows Offline Files functionality, the assertion failed error occurs. Lightroom 5.4 seems to search for the folder on the server and can obviously no longer handle the offline files approach, as the previous versions could up to Lightroom 5.3. The most funny thing is, that Lightroom does not use the My Pictures folder at all in my cse, so it is in no way concerned with any online/offline switching files. Lightroom is installed on my external USB drive that is always connected to the computer (both in the office and at home). Furthermore, Lightroom is only connected to folders on this external USB drive and does not need the My Pictures folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2014 Apr 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have windows 8.1.   The my pictures directory existed and the registry value was correct.   My photos are actually stored somewhere else but all the standard windows environment wasn't changed.   I'm still getting the assert error even when launching as admin.   Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2016 Sep 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Followed this help from Staff reply:

Could you help us troubleshoot the problem further by following the instructions below?

1. Right click the Lightroom icon you use to launch on the desktop and choose Copy from the menu.
  2. Right click the Desktop and choose Paste from the menu.
  3. Right click the new icon and choose Properties... from the menu.
  4. In the Target field of the properties dialog append -tracebacks (separated from the path by a space):
    (It will look like this at the end when you're done (leave the rest of the path alone): lightroom.exe" -tracebacks)
  5. In the general tab, you might also want to change the name so you can easily visually distinguish this new icon from the original (we'll delete it when we're done).
  6. Go to this site in your browser: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896647.aspx
  7. On the right hand side of the page, click the "Run DebugView" link (it's safe – it's just a debug output viewer from Microsoft)
  8. Click through the Eula if necessary.
  9. With DebugView running, double click the new icon we created in steps 1-5.
  10. Repeat the steps in Lightroom that cause the error message or hang that you are seeing.
  11. Save the output. You can either highlight and copy/paste or choose "Save as..." from the menu to save the output to a file.

And please post or send me the saved log file to me ( sichen at adobe dot com ) and I’ll take a look.

FIXED MY PROBLEM!!!! ............ hopefully continues without anymore issues.  Many thanks guys.  THIS WAS MY ISSUE.

I purchased Lightroom 5.4 as a Student in May 2014.  Downloaded and launched with no problems whatsoever.  Have been using it daily until yesterday when I tried to launch it and came up with the error "Server Busy" - The action cannot be completed because the other program is busy.  Choose "Switch To" to activate the the busy program and correct the problem.  Tried this, nothing works.  See below for more detail.  I have been to different forums where they talk about how to fix this issue, tried everything they said and still have the error.  Have even tried uninstalling and re-installing Lightroom from my original download when I purchased it.  STILL have the same problem.  Please help, I am beside myself with frustration.  Hopefully someone out there has had this happen and has a solution that will work for me.  Many thanks in advance.

Lightroom Problem-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TomHackettPhotography wrote:

I have found a work around for this problem.  Apparently, Lightroom 5.4 wants to be run as Administrator (whereas this was not necessary with 5.3).

Well no, actually, say I'm running LR 5.4 as a default user and no problems so far, but then I updated/upgraded from LR 5.3 to 5.4 via the CC app. Before ran the other updates, say Photoshop CC and Bridge CC and such, just in case the sequence of updates makes a difference, too.

I do know though that may no help you personally at all, but perhaps it helps to reproduce, and diagnose, the problem a little bit faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 11, 2014 Apr 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on one traceback log that I got so far (Thank you David), we're able to identify the condition when this assertion failure upon Lightroom launch could occur.

It would happen f the standard Windows "Pictures" folder for your particular login account is missing or relocated to somewhere else. We'll fix the issue in the next Lightroom update. In the meantime, you have a workaroud as follows:

1) Open up Windows Explorer

2) Confirm whether "C:\Users\<your Windows login account name>\Pictures\" folder is present, normally Windows shows the "Pictures" folder as the symbolically as "C:\Users\<your Windows login account name>\My Pictures\". They are one and the same folder under the hood.

3) If you don't see the folder, try create a new folder named "Pictures" under your account folder "C:\Users\<your Windows login account name>\".

4) Then relaunch Lr 5.4.

Let us know if this fixes the issue for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2014 Apr 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Simon / Tom

Many thanks both for your effort sorting this issue out.  And a special thanks to Simon.  Your solution worked for me.

for your info.

I had a non-cc version of LR5.3. 

I had removed My Pictures folder under my login, as I didn't use it.

Before upgrading to LR5.4, I followed your instruction to add "Pictures" under my "User/login name/" folder.  I also added back "My Pictures".

Pressed "check for updates" and followed the instructions as per norm.

Then after reboot, opened LR5.4 viola.

Once again, thanks for your time and effort, much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2014 Apr 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the Pictures directory in my user folder but still cannot launch LR5.4. Error message says system cannot use the Catalog with current version of LR. Cannot update the format of the catalog file.  Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2014 May 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did not seem to work for me. Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2014 Jun 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to say a BIG thanks to Simon for troubleshooting this issue for me. I emailed my log file and he came back with this prompt response.

Your issue is different from the missing My Pictures folder. It looks like you do not have write permission to the Lightroom Presets folder for your computer's login account.

On Mac, it is under "/Users/<your account name>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom". On Windows, it is under C:\Users\<your Windows login account name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom". If you still have an earlier version of Lightroom running, you can bring up the Lightroom preference dialog, under the Presets tag, click on the "Show Lightroom Presets Folder..." button.

Make sure you have read/write permission to the "Application Support/Adobe"/"AppData\Roaming\Adobe​" folder and its subfolders.

My LR 5.4 is now up and running on my main machine thanks to this resolution. Hopefully, this will prove useful to some of you.

A side note: I was using Dropbox Folder Sync on my LR presets folder so this may have been the root cause. I'm sure that that there are others of you out there using this application to backup your presets

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

try to export with previous under file option in lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 12, 2014 Apr 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue after upgrading to 5.4.

I have tried these solutions;

Uninstall and reinstall

Deleted the Preferences file

Created a My Pictures folder in the /users/login name folder

Created a Pictures folder in the /users/login name folder

Tried running Lightroom as Administrator.

I am out of business until a solution can be found!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2014 Apr 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously Adobe?

You've never heard anyone putting their photos somewhere else of than the deault windows location? Man that is some lazy testing.

So right now I have no Lightroom whatsoever until you guys fix it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well bang goes my afternoons work. Do we get a refund on our cloud subscription for the down time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines