• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit Mouse Points--Not showing Mouse Points!

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2014 Apr 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in Captivate 6, I am in Video Mode, my video settings include "Show Mouse In video Edit Mode".  I've created multiple videos, but when I click on Edit/Edit Mouse Points, no mouse points appear.  Why? How do i fix this?

Hope someone out there can help.

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

This seems a bit counterintuitive. Seems you have to turn off the mouse in the video demo settings before you capture. Then record the sequence and use the mouse. After you have done this, you should then be able to enable the "Edit Mouse Points" and see them on the timeline as shown below.

tmp1.png

Once you have done this, you click the mouse icon on the timeline and the mouse pointer becomes available to adjust.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and one other oddity. One would think that simply turning on the mouse points would be sufficient for the mouse to actually appear. But what you have to do is click the mouse icon on the timeline, then look at the properties and ensure you click the check box labeled "Show Mouse".

Looks like this could stand some serious refinement.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, I always leave that checkbox 'Show Mouse' selected, what you explain sounds indeed very confusing. I wonder what is the difference between your Captivate and mine?

Edit Mouse Points is a bit confusing, indeed. The timeline in the Video Demo has two modes: the normal one (Edit Mouse turned off) where you can add Pan/zoom, and then the Mouse mode (I call it that way), where you see all places of mouse use on the timeline. When you select such a 'mouse use' you can tweak the path or delete it simply. I regret that for the path only straight and slightly curved lines are possible, there is no way to really edit points on that path which IMO should be a lot better. In the same way as you can edit motion paths, but with full edit points tools.

Lieve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lieve

Here's what I saw on mine. Before resetting the preferences and clearing the cache I performed a video demo with mouse enabled. During editing, I did see the option to Edit mouse points but it seemed to do nothing. So on a whim I adjusted the preferences so the mouse was not included. After recording, I did not see the mouse as I expected. BUT, clicking the option to Edit mouse points did actually reveal a few mouse icons on the timeline!

So in my mind I was thinking that having mouse enabled in preferences during recording must have "burned in" the mouse movements as it does in the FMR slides in the stop motion animation type of recording. And if that were the case, it then made sense to me that one would then have to enable "show mouse" just as one would have to do if they had the other type of recording and had not captured mouse movement.

As I've discovered, mouse movements seem to be actually recorded whether or not you have the option enabled in the preferences. It's just that if you had the option disabled, you would have to specifically enable the mouse during editing.

And again, it's that silly preferences thing I believe that caused the option not to show initially for me. Because after resetting, it worked as you said it should.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, Rick... like 'that silly preferences thing' bothering us since how many versions? I hate having to kill them, because that means to recreate all customization.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rick!  That is helpful.  I also realized that I'd not cleared the Cache in awhile, so I did that, and it appears that the functionality has returned.

Thanks for your suggestions above, both very helpful!

Lee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmm, okay so I did more experimenting. I also cleared my cache as well as reset my preferences. (resetting preferences clears a load of maladies) and darned if the mouse points didn't finally appear when I recorded again.

Unfortunately I did both at the same time, so it's not clear which action corrected the behavior.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources