• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't users save data in fillable form created in Adobe Acrobat X Pro?

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2012 Oct 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a fillable pdf form in Adobe Acrobat X Pro and have everything working great.  When I send it to users they can fill in all of the information, but they can not save the data in the form.  I have followed these instructions before I send the form to the users:  (Acrobat Pro) Type in non-fillable forms (File > Save As > Reader Extended PDF > Enable Additional Features.

The form includes text fields, radio buttons, e-signatures (x).

I have researched for days, spoke to countless "Adobe Chat Room Techs" and still have no idea what I am doing wrong.

I am so desperate for help.  Any advice would be appreciated.

ML

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you set up the form correctly, but it's hard to say what could be wrong without seeing the form and knowing what PDF viewers your users are using. I'd be happy to take a look at the form if you can post it somewhere or email it to me at: acroscript at gmail dot com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2012 Oct 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much George.  I am so grateful to you for your willingness to look at the form.  I am sure I am making a silly mistake but I am truly baffled. 

I have asked several different committee members to test the form on their home/work computers and it is always the same problem.  I tried the form at home (I had adobe reader 9), and here at work (I have adobe reader 10.1.4) but still can't get it to save the data that I type in.

I do have an old operating system (getting a newer version next week) so I wonder if that could have anything to do with it?

I will send you the form shortly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2014 May 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I will do that.

: )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 15, 2014 Jun 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved this by using NitroPDF.  It will save a fillable PDF that was created with any software I've tried so far.

Also, when you click on "sign" (in Adobe Reader X) the "done signing" is not accessible until you actually sign the document, which I didn't want to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2016 Feb 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi George!  I was hoping you can help me with this.  I created a template where all the fields on my ABC forms are perfect.  I pull the same forms on a regular basis, however, these forms always have different names or addresses.  How can I go about applying the template I created to the new forms I pull?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ML,

If I were you I'd take Georges offer of help because he's the best out here. However, to reiterate what George said, I don't think it's the way you have created the PDF, but rather the application the recipients of the form are using to view the file. The question ot ask them is "are you using Adobe Reader, and if so what version"?

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2012 Oct 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Users can update to Adobe Reader XI and they will be able to save forms without the forms having special Extended Reader Rights as the previouis versions required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand correctly, by default, forms created in Acrobat are savable for those using Reader XI.  How does one prevent a form from being savable in all versions of Reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw that, thanks, but what if I want people to be able to fill in a form, print it, but not save it?  That's the default behaviour for Acrobat + Reader X.  The security settings seem to only allow me to prevent it from being filled in altogether.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then properly set the permissions to allow printing and filling in forms. There are 2 drop downs under the "Permissions" section. One for printing, and the other for "Changes Allowed" and 2 check boxes for allowing copying and accessibility changes.

Securing documents with passwords

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can still save the document in Reader XI, no matter which options on the 2 dropdowns I choose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't prevent saving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2013 Jun 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that explains a lot, thank you.  I am surprised, though, as I've seen third-party publications describe valid workflows where one wouldn't want to allow users to create copies of the PDF. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be a valid wish it just isn't achievable reality.

And if you think Adobe Reader should somehow stop it consider that countless people view PDF files without involving Adobe software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given that all this time, all the way through to Reader X, it was extra work in Acrobat to enable savability, I would have thought that there would be enough customers that would demand a way to ensure this capability (of not being able to save changes) persisted.

Not complaining - this makes my life easier, in fact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Software products evolve over time as do marketing decisions.

Look at the history of features for Acrobat and Reader.

Acrobat from version 4 through 9 could connect to SQL databases. Not any more. Adobe only allows LiveCycle forms to connect to SQL databases.

Being able to save a filled in form by Reader was probably a marketing decision to encourage small businesses to use Acrobat since there are 3rd party PDF creation products that allow saving of form in their free reader products. There are still a lot of features not available to Reader unless one applies special rights through the use of LiveCycle servers.

You post might have been better as a new post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a form to be used like a template using Adobe Acrobat XI Pro. I want end users to be able to save the original form, make changes to the input fields and save the completed form as a new file. I have no control over the software that any end user may have.

I have emailed the form out and been told that users can input data into specific fields, but cannot “save as” to retain the data. 

After reading through this forum, under "Actions" made this form accessible. I have distributed the form. I have checked under protection to insure there is none. I am having trouble finding the "permissions" section. Could anyone direct me with that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the other users do not have Acrobat or Reader version XI, then you have to use Acrobat version 8 Professional or batter or Acrobat X Standard or better to add "Extended Reader Rights". The exact method varies by version. For version 8 and 9 it is under the "Advanced" menu option. For version X and XI it is under "File => Save as => Extended Rights".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok GK,

Since I don't have the ability to manipulate all end user computers, is there a way for me to accomplish what I am trying to do at my end? I have tried distibuting the Form, and it appears that it does allow the end user to "Save as" with information stored in the fields. Unfortunately, it wants them to "Submit" the form back which in my case would not be used and would likely cause a lot of confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GK, YOU ROCK !!!!!!

Thank you!, by going to [File]>[Save as other]>[reader extended PDF]>Enable More Tools (including fill-in & save)

I got it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 19, 2014 Apr 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is just unbelievable the amount of ## that users of Adobe software go through. Of course you are going to want the data saved in a fillable form ###. It should the default ## thing the save option does.

Why do the users of Adobe software always have to through this. Adobe CC is full of bugs - the problem is there is no viable alternative yet to Adobe... What a shame

I still cannot get this to save as fillable form. Something like this should be so simple!

Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 19, 2014 Apr 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Computers are not simple.  It has taken centuries to get from the first analog computers to the digital devices that we have today. Todays coputers run millions of lines of code just to dispaly an image or word.

Until you have programed an OS or written a complex application in machine language it is hard to appreciate how much effort goes into writing a program.

Adobe is also in the business of sellng software so they provide some items for free but if one wants more sophisticated features then they have to purchase the necessary software. Reader has alway been free but to create a PDF one needed to purchase Acrobat.

You sould be aware that a recent study indicates that medical doctors misdiagnois 1 in 2o patients and 1/2 of those involve serious conditions.

You are trying to hijack another's post by changing the subject.

There are other PDF reader products that do not require Adobe's rights structure and users can chose to use them. And like Acrobat/Reader they are not without their problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2013 Apr 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, When using Acrobat pro, you have to run  'Distribute' from the forms meny.

Then you'll get several choices how to send and receive your form, it will run out three forms; your_original.pdf, your_original_distributed.pdf and your_original_responses.pdf

The form  your_original_distributed.pdf will be the one you send out, and has the option to save the form with data filled out.

regards,

Trudie Scholman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines