• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I cannot uninstall MS Visual Studio Team Foundation Server Plug-in Trial Version from CFBuilder 2

New Here ,
Jan 21, 2014 Jan 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the Microsoft Visual Studio Foundation Server plug-in

(

Microsoft Visual Studio Team Foundation Server plug-in for Eclipse10.0.0.201003261741com.microsoft.tfs.client.eclipse.feature.feature.groupMicrosoft

)

I'm running windows 7 Enterprise Service Pack 1 64-bit. The CFBuilder version is shown in the image below.

and now want to install a different full version of the plug-in but cannot do that without uninstalling this one first. However, I have been unable to Uninstall the plug-in no matter what I have tried. The "easy" way using the uninstall button is not available to ( see image below). I have tried numerous suggestions for manual uninstall but the plug-in will not go away, and thus prevents me from installing the newer version. Upgrading is not allowed. I have been using "Run As Administrator" etc to make sure I have adequate permissions.

At this point I am feeling stumped and may just have to uninstall CFBuilder and start over unless someone can suggest something new to try.

Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions that can be offered.

TOPICS
Builder

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2014 Apr 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever find an answer to this?

WW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never was able to uninstall it. I solved the problem by basically abandoning the CFBuilder install. Instead I just installed eclipse and then installed cfbuilder as a plug-in along with the correct TFS plugin. That works great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really? Does it use the ColdFusion Builder interface, or did you have to learn a new interface then?  I'm pretty used to CFB, would hate to have to stop and re-learn a new IDE.

RLS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2014 Apr 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it looks identical. The default coldfusion builder is basically a bundle with eclipse and the coldfusion build plugin all installed at once. But you can definitely install cfb as a plugin on your own copy of eclipse. Adobe has documentation on that. But it's just another plug-in. In fact, if I am not mistaken, ColdFusionBuilder is based on the popular FREE and open source cfeclipse plug-in that has been around for quite a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Scott!

That was my next question, whether you used CFECLIPSE or ECLIPSE, but now you've answered that.

Guess I'll have to try this out - slowdowns on CFB now and then drive me nuts, and this TFS thing is stupid, too. It uses TFS Everywhere and I can't uninstall it without re-installing CFB anyway.

Have you (or anyone reading this) tried both?  CFeclipse vs Eclipse with CFB plugin and have an opinion on which is better?

WW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently even with 20+ years of Internet experience, I'm the worlds worst Googler when it comes to finding the Eclipse 3.7 download.  

So many varieties, versions, flavors, and then you click a link and it takes you to this page full of crap you don't need or understand, then that page. Oy vey!

I am looking for a page that says "Hey, here's 3.7. Click here. Download. Done."

Got a lead on anything like that since you recently did so?   Did you choose Eclipse IDE for Javascript Web Developers, or something else?

Thanks,

WW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2014 Apr 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had a mixed bag of results with this little experiment.  I am trying this simultaneously on five machines.  I chose the Javascript version of Eclipse Indigo 3.7

64bit Dell laptop running Windows 8 with 8GB RAM installed easily and found CFB and Java no problem. On restart, though, I get the "Locking is not possible in the directory...." message. I removed file locking from all files in the Eclipse directory (c:\program files\eclipse) and subdirectories, still no go. Ran windows explorer as admin, no go; changed user level permissions, no go.   I can start it and run it as Administrator with no problem. Partial success due to the Admin factor, but very very fast.

64 bit Dell laptop running Windows 7 with 16 GB RAM - same exact results as above. Partial success again, but also lightning fast.

Both of the above are client-supplied and they may have policies installed that I can't get to (well, not without violating client agreements, anyway), so I will consult with their administrators to see if I can get them to relax the restrictrions on the Eclipse directories.

64 bit HP desktop running Windows 7 Pro with 32 GB RAM gave me some trouble trying to find Java. Finally had to copy JRE to the directory right under the install directory for Eclipse, but now getting "Failed to load JNI shared program library "C:\Program Files\eclipse\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll" even though that file is there.  I'm guess I have the wrong JRE install or something. Tried two different flavors of Java to no avail. Running as Administrator makes no difference.  Because I now had multiple Java's loaded, I uninstalled them all per another blog, then re-installed a for-sure 64 bit version. Success running Eclipse, so I closed it and loaded CFB.  Loading took forever, but it succeeded. Started eclipse -- again, very slow here.  CFB2 was slow to load also, but this takes the cake. I could go eat supper waiting for this. After CFB was installed, though, it loaded a TON faster and I do not have the file locking problem here.  SUCCESS!

And you were right -- for all intents and purposes, this is CFB2 (and since we are using cfb2 as a plugin, why wouldn't it be, right?).  I am looking forward to adding SVN to them all now...and TFS to one of the client laptops.

64 bit HP desktop running Vista Business SP2 with 4 GB ram - got the "Locking..." message after fixing the java issue, but even running as administrator makes no difference. Found multiple Java's on that machine as well, so uninstalled then reinstalled a 64 bit version. Same scenario as the other 64 bit desktop - Eclipse loads and sets up very slow the first time. Took forever for this older machine to finish, but all is now working very well. SUCCESS!

32 bit HP laptop running Vista home. Loaded all according to instructions, 32 bit version running and loading much faster than the 64 bit players. Restarts without any issues, loads a little slow but loads and runs faster than cfb2, that's for sure. SUCCESS!

Thanks again for the information, ScottH!

On a side note: Java should be ashamed of themselves for the shameless plugging and trickery used that fools even us veterans into clicking on the wrong damn thing and wasting our time starting a download for some dumb cleaner or the other.  How pathetic.

WW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2014 Apr 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott said, “if I am not mistaken, ColdFusionBuilder is based on the popular FREE and open source cfeclipse plug-in that has been around for quite a while.”

That is in fact NOT the case. I can understand the confusion. Both are indeed CFML plugins for Eclipse (and as you say, CFB also offer a standalone edition that packages Eclipse and CFB in such a way that is less clearly “Eclipse”, for the sake of those with no experience with it.)

But to be clear, CFBuilder was created entirely by Adobe, and while it does incorporate some additional commercial and/or open source Eclipse components, I’m pretty sure they were careful NOT to base anything on CFEclipse itself for a variety of reasons.

Hope that’s helpful.

/charlie

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Charlie. Good to know about cfbuilder. I ended up installing Builder 2 as a plug-in into my own install of Eclipse along with the TFS Plug-in. The end result from the user's point of view is that it works identically to doing a bundled CFBuilder install. CFBuilder 2 is well work the money no matter how you install it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep, sure. That is indeed why Adobe offers it either way.

But my main point was about any inheritance of CFE in CFB. We might say they share a heritage, but not a lineage.

/charlie

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation