• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to import multiple DNG files into Premiere

Participant ,
Apr 15, 2014 Apr 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to import multiple raw DNG files from a 2.5K blackmagic camera. Each clip is recorded in a separate folder:

Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 12.39.35 p.m..png

I can import each clip separately by selecting its folder and clicking on a DNG file, but -for obvious practical reasons- I would like to import ALL clips at once. However, when I try to do so, Premiere does not import the clips. Instead, it imports each folder, and within them there is not one single clip, but as many clips as DNG files compounded that particular clip. In other words, if the clip had ONE HUNDRED DNG files, Premiere imports that clip ONE HUNDRED times, not just once:

Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 12.51.29 p.m..png

In this image, each file contains the ENTIRE clip, not just a DNG file. Is there a workaround for this? Otherwise, DNG files must be imported one by one, which of course makes the workflow much more difficult.

TOPICS
How to , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 16, 2014 Jun 16, 2014

Hi @Softananda, I have the same problem as you do, but I managed to find a temporary lowtech solution that's maybe useful for you or for other users.

You can go to the folder where all your rushes are and just search for all the files in that subfolders ending by 00000.dng

This way you will have all the first dng files of every sequence and you can move them directly to your media pool in Premiere, where they will appear as unique sequences of all your dng files.

For me it works like a charm.

I hope

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Media Browser to import DNG files.

Peter Garaway

Adobe

Premiere Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Media Browser won't do it, because it only allows to open one DNG clip at a time. My problem is not that DNG files cannot be put into the project, but rather that I cannot open/import all of them at once, as I can do for instance with RED files. When it comes to blackmagic DNG files, I have to go folder by folder...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How exactly are you importing the clips? Are you dragging from the OS file browser, using Premiere's File>Import command, or using Premiere's Media Browser?

Media Browser is the best way to go with file-based content. That said, I have little experience with DNG, so I can't say for sure whether it will work any better in this particular case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said to pertergaraway, I experience the same issue whether using the media browser or the import command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post a screen shot of the Media Browser with the Directory Viewer options opened.  (Left of Search bar.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 7.48.56 p.m..png

Here goes a screenshot of the media browser. I would like to be able to select all folders and open/import all their DNG files together, rather than folder by folder (clip by clip)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2014 Apr 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost there.  I need to see what the Directory View is set to.  That little eyeball to the left of the search box.

Also, look up one level, at the luna2 folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim. The Directory View is set to File Directory (A), except when I click on the folder containing the DNG file, which then gives me two options: Cinema DNG and File Directory (B and C). All other options are greyed out.

A)

Screen Shot 2014-04-16 at 6.11.35 p.m..png

B)

Screen Shot 2014-04-16 at 6.10.59 p.m..png

C)

Screen Shot 2014-04-16 at 6.17.03 p.m..png

Both B (Cinema DNG) and C (File Directory) open the raw files as a sequence (one clip). I don't see yet an option to select all folders and open all files at once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.

Was the full SSD copied over from the camera?  Every folder, every file?  Nothing was renamed or deleted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just recorded a couple of DNG clips and tried to open them directly from the SSD card, with no renaming in between. The result is the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2014 Apr 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it.

Can you post a screen shot of the contents of that SSD?  I'd like to see the folder structure in use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2014 Apr 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe seems to have stopped accepting DNG files both in Premiere Pro and AE. In PP it shows the error "the file appears to have no media data". In AE the ACR accpets only one image at a time and repeats for every image sequence. What am I supposed to do here....I've tried everything but DaVinci. I might have to say goodbye to Adobe this way.

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2014 Apr 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the plot thickens....I somehow manage to open the DNG in AE and export it as a PP file. After that when I import the same in PP this is the result...it doesn't even recognize.Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 20, 2014 Apr 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kisholay, my problem is not that I cannot import DNG files, but rather that I cannot import all of them at once. As far as I know, DNG files can only be opened/imported if you have Creative Cloud (CC), not if you have CS6 or another creative suite. Even if you are running CC, you must have all the updates installed (for a while, I couldn't work with DNG files, and it was an update issue). So, if you have CC, try first to install all updates.

That being said, and by no means trying to be rude, please start a new thread with your question. As I said, mine was not that I cannot work with DNG files, but that I cannot open a group of them at once. It would be best to maintain this thread focused on this issue.

Jim, I do not have my camera with me now. On Monday I will post the image you asked for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 20, 2014 Apr 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if this problem is fixed in the upcoming version of PP?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 21, 2014 Apr 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kisholay,

Only certain DNG flies are supported in Premiere Pro. Are you working files from the BlackMagic Cinema Camera?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, as requested, here go the contents of the SSD card:

Screen Shot 2014-04-21 at 10.12.29 a.m..png

Screen Shot 2014-04-21 at 10.12.54 a.m..png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

And when you select a tricolor folder in Media Browser, it only gives the option for File Directory?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it gives both the Cinema DNG and File Directory options (see my post of April 16, 4:20pm)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems this is part of a bigger problem.  Within the media browser, it appears that you can not import multiple folders of any image sequences.  I tested dpx, tga, tif and png.  All of them can be imported one sequence at at time from the project file panel but trying to import multiple folders of sequences from the media browser results in the images coming in as seperate files.

Importing a folder of .tga's from the media browser will import tga1, tga2, tga3, etc. instead of one file with all the .tga's looking like one file.  It looks like there should be a checkbox for image sequence when importing folders of consecutively numbered stills.

It is very easy to duplicate if anyone wants to try.  Just make two folders with multiple still images in each folder and try to import them at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rejdmast1 wrote:

It seems this is part of a bigger problem.  Within the media browser, it appears that you can not import multiple folders of any image sequences.

Hi rejdmast1,

You are correct. Sorry about that.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I meant when you select the Blackmagic2, it gives only the File Directory option?

I wouldn't necessarilly expect the image sequence problem to be related.  I can see how that would need to be one folder's worth at a time, but with CinemaDNG, the point is that the software should see each sequence as a single clip from the top level of the folder structure.  (It is disappointing that BM chose the 'image sequence' option instead of the single file MXF option when they implemented CinemaDNG in their cameras.)

Maybe this is something Adobe just hasn't added for the format yet, like the Source Settings (access to which is the whole point of shooting RAW, in my view, and imlpementing any kind of 'compatibility' without full access to Source Setings at every stage of the post production process is just poor design).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(It is disappointing that BM chose the 'image sequence' option instead of the single file MXF option when they implemented CinemaDNG in their cameras.)

This is the current situation with the upcoming cDNG files from Convergent Design also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the current situation with the upcoming cDNG files from Convergent Design also.

Homer.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines