• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get a TOC to show Chapter number and chapter text together

Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2014 Apr 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on FrameMaker 11. How do I get my Table of Contents (TOC) to show the Chapter number and chapter title on one line. My Chapters titles have the chapter number and chapter title on two lines, both centered at the top of a new page. I would like my TOC to pick up the Chapter number and Chapter name on one line not two. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 21, 2014 Apr 21, 2014

If you'v created the TOC with the (default) setting of enabling hypertext links, then simply hold the ctrl+alt buttons down and click on the blank entries in your TOC file. FM will open the file containing the entrry and jump to the correct paragraph.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2014 Apr 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The approach depends upon if you're using two paratags (one for the chaptr number and the other for the text) or just one.

If it's just one paratag, then you neeed to have both the <$paranum> and <$paratext> building blocks in the Chapter Title TOC entry on the Reference page.

If you're using two paratags, then in the TOC set the Chapter number paratag to run into the Chapter title one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2014 Apr 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Arnis. Yes my Chapter tag includes the number and name. It looks like the body page has a SHIFT + ENTER after the chapter number to put the chapter name on a separate line. My TOC reference page does have the Chapter $Paranum and $paratext tag on the same line. How do I get around the hard line break in the body page so my TOC shows the Chapter num and chapter title on the same line? See attached for reference page, body page, and para designer info. Thanks.RefPg.png

TOC_ChapNum.png

body page_ChapNum.png

ParaDesigner.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the shift+Enter is manually entered, it is considered part of the <$paratext> and will get picked up with the building block.

You would be better off breaking this tag into separate ChapterNumber and ChapterTitle ones (since you can't add a forced return as part of the autonumber string).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I will try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got it to work with one tag. I replaced the line break with a space and added a non-breaking space between the Chapter words, then increased the margins (usually to 1" for first, left and right). That forced the chapter words to the next line and kept them as one line on the TOC. Another very cool solution. Both solutions would probably have been equal work. Options are always good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would I figure out where these first two entries are coming from in my TOC? (from the image above that says TABLE OF CONTENTS)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you'v created the TOC with the (default) setting of enabling hypertext links, then simply hold the ctrl+alt buttons down and click on the blank entries in your TOC file. FM will open the file containing the entrry and jump to the correct paragraph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2014 Apr 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, that worked perfectly. I am so grateful for this forum ... it has saved me so many times already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines