Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Error message: cannot find flash.ocx

May 29, 2007 7:12 AM

After receiving a POP UP for a free Adobe Flash Player I choose to install it. Since then I get at least 50 POP UP messages saying the same thing..(I have to "X" out of them to continue processing) "Cannot find flash.ocx" - how do I either fix it or delete it.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 18, 2007 2:13 PM   in reply to HankLodge
    :confused; I see no one has tried to answer you! I have recently downloaded the new Adobe Flash Player to my Windows XP home PC, and have been getting a similar, more generic, error dialog; which merely states "Cannot find Macromedia Flash". This dialog pops up every time my PC screen saver has activated and is there upon returning. I have no idea as to what software product is issuing it, much less why. Have you discovered anything with your .ocx dialog?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2007 1:24 PM   in reply to RonK2
    I get the error message too ; c:\ windows/system32/macromod/flash/flash 9.ocx failed to register HRESULT - 214722473. Tried so many things to resolve without any joy. Very frustrating! The vendor who supplies the software that leads to the message says that ADOBE are aware of the problem but it seems near on impossible to get a usefull fix for this bug.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2007 8:07 PM   in reply to ghosaka
    I'm getting the same error message. Has there been any fix to this problem?

thanks

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2008 3:53 PM   in reply to ghosaka
    I am having exactly the same message

Hi I am having the same problem that you are. Please let me know if you have found a solution already. Thanks

Here is the Error Message again

Error 1904.Module
    C:\windows\system32\macromod\flash\flash 9.ocx failed to register HRESULT - 2147224073.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2008 5:21 AM   in reply to HankLodge
    i unninstal and instal.
    Anyway, you can find the file you want: Flash.ocx or Flash9.ocx with emule or ODC and copy to C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\

Another simple way is to update flash. In the same folder (C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\) you have a file that update flash.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2008 8:38 AM   in reply to HankLodge
    Think its just a bug guys. Contact support

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2008 7:35 PM   in reply to HankLodge
    If you get this error, do the following steps

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2008 7:38 PM   in reply to HankLodge
    If you get this error, do the following steps
    1. Go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash and click on the uninstall flash exe.
    2. Try again installing, and this time since you already have installed, it will give option of reinstall, remove. Select the remove option and uniinstall the flashpaper2.
    3. Now again try to install the Flashpaper2. This time it should go through.

The above steps worked me and i am using windows xp Prof sp3

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2009 10:05 AM   in reply to HankLodge

Flash.ocx cannot be found: The reason this could be giving you this error is because if you've recently updated Flash Player from a very old version to a new version. They changed the name of the .OCX file in that program to flash###.ocx (the # being the version of the player). You may have an old screen saver that uses flash.ocx. To fix you can go to your Macromed folder (usually in your Windows\System32 folder. Copy the current flash###.ocx file then save in the same folder here as flash.ocx. You will now have two .OCX files with different names. You shouldn't get the error message anymore

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2010 9:19 AM   in reply to HankLodge

I went into the macromedia flash folder and renamed an older version of flash###.ocx to flash.ocx.....no more problem!

windows/system32/macromedia/flash.

Updates do not normally remove older  versions, so you should have many versions of flash###.ocx.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2010 9:18 AM   in reply to HankLodge

This has been a problem for quite a while in our company and it's pretty much an everyday occurrence.

We have around 500+ that get the exact same error: cannot find flash.ocx

The work around we use is to copy the Flash.ocx file from one PC that still has it and paste it into the C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash directory of the PC that has the problem.

In our case renaming the current updated file Flash10d.ocx to Flash.ocx also works but this may not work for you.

Now the two work arounds above are fine but as soon as adobe has an update the file is once again replaced with the latest updated file! And you have to perform the work around again.

You can see what the update does by looking at the install.log file located in the same directory. It’s just a text file so you can view it in Notepad C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash

Bellow is a snipet of log file:

IfFileExists: file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\UninstFl.exe" does not exist, jumping 948

IfFileExists: file "" does not exist, jumping 952

Delete: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash.ocx"

Delete: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash6.ocx"

Delete: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash6a.ocx"

The bellow does not work but interesting at that:

I did try editing the screen saver file directly to point it to a different directory, in which I would then place the Flash.ocx file but unfortunately although the .scr file can be viewed in Notepad, making a change to the file will destroy it. Please make a backup of the file first if you want to see whats inside. You can use Ctl + F to search for Flash.ocx etc..

Although not really a hindrance in day to day work screen burning could potentially be an issue!

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks,

Simon

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2010 1:06 AM   in reply to HankLodge

s

ugardaddy.com is looking for me to install flash6.ocx but i cannot find what they are looking for so i cannot open that program.. can you help me.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)