Skip navigation
Michele Bedin
Currently Being Moderated

Spry 1.5 and dw cs3

May 18, 2007 6:44 AM

How do I update spry from 1.4 to 1.5 version in dreamweaver cs3 ? I have tried with update function in help menu but not send me messages with new versions available to download... thanks

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 18, 2007 7:00 AM   in reply to Michele Bedin
    Hi Michele,

For the moment we don't have an automatic way to update the files from spry 1.4 to 1.5.
    What you can do is to copy the new css and js files from spry 1.5 version over your existent spry 1.4.
    You can unzip the package from spry site inside the SpryAssests folder from DW.

Diana

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2007 8:08 AM   in reply to Michele Bedin
    Hi,

The path for the spry files is: ProgramFiles\Adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\configuration\Shared\Spry\ There you have the folders: Data, Effects and Widgets. You have to replace every js and css file for each widget, for effecst and also for Data.
    If you go and replace these spry 1.4 files with the spry 1.5 files, every time when you apply an widget, add an effect or create some data set stuff, the js and css files generated will be always the Spry 1.5 files. In this way, if at a moment you will want to use something from Spry 1.4 we'll not have these files anymore,.

If you really want to change these files, my recommendation is to make a copy of the Spry folder from the path I mentioned above,having anyway the Spry 1.4 version saved on your disk. Also, if you have the js and css files from Spry 1.4 already generated in SpryAssets folder from your site root, you can make a copy to this folder.

Maybe the safest way is to change to Spry 1.5 only the css and js files from SpryAssets folder placed on your site root. In this way, if you'll need something from Spry 1.4 just delete the files from Assets folder and DW will generate them as Spry 1.4.

Hope this helps,
    Diana

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2007 2:47 PM   in reply to Michele Bedin
    Do you have to change the CSS files? I've made quite a few changes to the horizontal menu CSS and the Tabbed Panels CSS. I'll have to do it over again if we have to replace them. Just want to know for sure before I start doing the work. :)

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2007 3:45 PM   in reply to ColdSun
    Before folks go modifying their Dreamweaver CS3 installs manually, let me just explain how Dreamweaver handles the Spry files so you know exactly what goes on. This post is long, but read it in its entirety.

MAKE A BACKUP OF ANYTHING YOU PLAN ON CHANGING/UPDATING, JUST IN CASE YOU NEED TO RESTORE IT.

Dreamweaver only copies Spry files to your site if you save a page in which you've added a Spry Widget, Effect, and/or DataSets/Regions. It does this copy when you save, but it will only copy the files to your site if the file does not already exist in your site, that way it doesn't blow away any Spry file you may have modified in your site. Dreamweaver only copies the minimal set of files necessary to support whatever it is you added to your page, so if you've added an accordion to your page, it only checks for the existence of SpryAccordion.js and SpryAccordion.css before it actually copies those 2 files into your site.

That all said, if you already have say an Accordion in one of your pages in your site, you should already have a SpryAssets folder with the 1.4+ SpryAccordion.js and SpryAccordion.css in it. If you replace your Spry 1.4+ copies of SpryAccordion.js and SpryAccordion.css in your Dreamweaver Configuration directory, and then you create a new file for your site which uses an Accordion, it will *NOT* copy over the 1.5 versions of the file from the Configuration directory into your Site's SpryAssets directory because DW wants to play it safe and not overwrite the existing ones in your site. This means you will also have to manually copy the 1.5 files to your site if you want your site updated too.

After you update your Dreamweaver configuration folder to contain the 1.5 files, if you create a new site, or create new page in an existing site and add a widget, or effect that you have never used before, the 1.5 versions will be copied into the site. All of these Spry files are independent of each other, so you should be able to mix 1.4 and 1.5 files with no problems.

That all said, we are working on an extension that will help folks install the latest Spry files into their installed Dreamweaver configuration *and* into their sites. At this point in time, we cannot commit to an e.t.a. for this extension yet, but we will keep folks posted.

Here are the paths to the Spry 1.4+ files in the Installed Dreamweaver Configuration folder which you will need to update:

Configuration/Shared/Spry/Data/SpryData.js
    Configuration/Shared/Spry/Data/SpryXML.js
    Configuration/Shared/Spry/Data/xpath.js
    Configuration/Shared/Spry/Effects/SpryEffects.js
    Configuration/Shared/Spry/Widgets/Accordion/SpryAccordion.css
    Configuration/Shared/Spry/Widgets/Accordion/SpryAccordion.js
    Configuration/Shared/Spry/Widgets/CollapsiblePanel/SpryCollapsiblePane l.css
    Configuration/Shared/Spry/Widgets/CollapsiblePanel/SpryCollapsiblePane l.js
    Configuration/Shared/Spry/Widgets/MenuBar/SpryMenuBar.js
    Configuration/Shared/Spry/Widgets/MenuBar/SpryMenuBarHorizontal.css
    Configuration/Shared/Spry/Widgets/MenuBar/SpryMenuBarVertical.css
    Configuration/Shared/Spry/Widgets/TabbedPanels/SpryTabbedPanels.css
    Configuration/Shared/Spry/Widgets/TabbedPanels/SpryTabbedPanels.js
    Configuration/Shared/Spry/Widgets/ValidationCheckbox/SpryValidationChe ckbox.css
    Configuration/Shared/Spry/Widgets/ValidationCheckbox/SpryValidationChe ckbox.js
    Configuration/Shared/Spry/Widgets/ValidationSelect/SpryValidationSelec t.css
    Configuration/Shared/Spry/Widgets/ValidationSelect/SpryValidationSelec t.js
    Configuration/Shared/Spry/Widgets/ValidationTextarea/SpryValidationTex tarea.css
    Configuration/Shared/Spry/Widgets/ValidationTextarea/SpryValidationTex tarea.js
    Configuration/Shared/Spry/Widgets/ValidationTextField/SpryValidationTe xtField.css
    Configuration/Shared/Spry/Widgets/ValidationTextField/SpryValidationTe xtField.js

Here are the paths to the files in the Spry 1.5 zip file:

includes/SpryData.js
    includes/SpryXML.js
    includes/xpath.js
    widgets/accordion/SpryAccordion.css
    widgets/accordion/SpryAccordion.js
    widgets/checkboxvalidation/SpryValidationCheckbox.css
    widgets/checkboxvalidation/SpryValidationCheckbox.js
    widgets/collapsiblepanel/SpryCollapsiblePanel.css
    widgets/collapsiblepanel/SpryCollapsiblePanel.js
    widgets/menubar/SpryMenuBar.js
    widgets/menubar/SpryMenuBarHorizontal.css
    widgets/menubar/SpryMenuBarVertical.css
    widgets/selectvalidation/SpryValidationSelect.css
    widgets/selectvalidation/SpryValidationSelect.js
    widgets/tabbedpanels/SpryTabbedPanels.css
    widgets/tabbedpanels/SpryTabbedPanels.js
    widgets/textareavalidation/SpryValidationTextarea.css
    widgets/textareavalidation/SpryValidationTextarea.js
    widgets/textfieldvalidation/SpryValidationTextField.css
    widgets/textfieldvalidation/SpryValidationTextField.js

To answer ColdSun's question regarding the CSS files. With the exception of SpryValidationTextField.css, there were no significant changes to the CSS files between Dreamweaver's 1.4+ version and Spry 1.5 except for comment corrections. For the SpryValidationTextField.css we added an extra dummy rule to show folks that there is now a behavior class that allows you to style Hint Text differently. As I mentioned, even if you install these new CSS files, Dreamweaver will *NOT* overwrite the CSS file with the same name in your site.

Remember:

MAKE A BACKUP OF ANYTHING YOU PLAN ON CHANGING/UPDATING, JUST IN CASE YOU NEED TO RESTORE IT!

And one last thing:

MAKE A BACKUP OF ANYTHING YOU PLAN ON CHANGING/UPDATING, JUST IN CASE YOU NEED TO RESTORE IT.

:-)

--== Kin ==--

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2007 5:40 AM   in reply to kinblas
    The kinblas post was very helpful. I still am a little confused about the files in the include directory go. SpryData and XML and xpath .js are covered and replace existing files. There are a whole set of new files in there that might go in the data file but they are not listed anywhere on the post.

like debug and util .js files. And the files in the css directory I would thing the Sprydebug might be needed but not sure where these should go.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2007 9:37 PM   in reply to Michele Bedin
    Does anyone have a backup up of their 1.4 folder for mac. seams that even with all those notes to make a backup, I still managed to F*** things up. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2007 7:55 AM   in reply to cdub8600
    cdub8600
    contact me back channel seems no way to attach a file here

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2007 7:55 AM   in reply to Michele Bedin
    woops sorry dan@dss-db.com

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2007 12:00 PM   in reply to Michele Bedin
    I have updated my Dreamweaver configuration folder with the new Spry 1.5 files as described by Kin. However, I noticed that in each widget's folder on my configuration folder there is a "DesignTime" folder containding a [widget's name]DesignTime.js file (e.g. ..\Spry\Wdget\Accordion\DesignTime\SpryAccordionDesignTime.js). Should not these files be updated as well?

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2007 1:16 PM   in reply to Michele Bedin
    To answer Michele and Marcell's questions in one swoop:

Dreamweaver only knows about specific Spry Framework files that are necessary to support the features that are available in Dreamweaver CS3 ... the list of files I mentioned above are the only Spry framework files that folks have to update in Dreamweaver CS3 to get it to copy Spry 1.5 files to your sites instead of the default 1.4 that ships with DW CS3. If a file isn't in that list, it is not part of the Spry Framework and is something specific to Dreamweaver, so I advise folks not to touch/edit those other files.

To see a list of changes/fixes for Spry 1.5, take a look at this file:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/spry/ChangeLog.html

Which is also in the Spry Pre-Release 1.5 zip.

Folks really don't need to update their DW CS3 install unless they want a specific fix or feature, and they want DW to automatically copy the 1.5 files when they create new sites.

Another alternative to updating the Dreamweaver config files, would be to copy the files from the 1.5 zip directly into your site's SpryAssets folder. By doing so, you will prevent DW from copying any Spry files from its config folder into your site, because it is already in your site.

--== Kin ==--

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2007 1:28 PM   in reply to Michele Bedin
    Thanks Kin

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2007 6:25 AM   in reply to Michele Bedin
    I absolutely aggree with Michele Bedin, you should offer an upgrade installer for 1.5 which inserts all possibilities of spry 1.5 to Dreamwaever CS3. I am also pretty disapointed. I mean i just got the whole Studio a few weeks ago and one of the major reasons was spry integration. It took me whole day to understand that only with spry 1.5 i can use html entity decoding by placing the files manually into the folders. That's not what i expect for such a high value product.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2007 7:03 PM   in reply to Michele Bedin
    Once the functions are updated in DW, can you still use the interface in DW to update data elements of Spry objects like menus? (i.e. adding menu items). In theory it should still work because this is only updating the CSS code and according to the above posts there is little or no change to the CSS structure.

Also, with version 1.4, if you click on a Spry object from within DW you can modify the properties to be open by default, closed by default, animate, etc. Since with the way the new effect functions are called are different, will it update the code in the page correctly, or does everything have to be done by hand?

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2007 10:21 PM   in reply to Michele Bedin
    Hi skeeze,

The Spry Framework files that are in the Dreamweaver configuration directory are only used when Dreamweaver copies the dependent files to the user's site. If you've manually installed the Spry 1.5 files into Dreamweaver's configuration directory, all of the features within Dreamweaver should still work, and all of the Code that Dreamweaver produces and inserts into your page should work without any modification with the Spry 1.5 files.

--== Kin ==--

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2007 3:04 AM   in reply to Michele Bedin
    Dear Kinblas,

but after manually exchanging the spry files in the dreamweaver directory it's still not possible to use all new features of the spry framework. for instance you can set a column to be a string, number, date and image link in Dreamweaver. With Spry 1.5 it would make sense if you could set it to html for instance too.

Then new effects or new widgets are not supported from within dreamweaver, you can just use the same features as in spry 1.4.

How difficult is it to produce an installer and update Dreamweaver from time to time so your customers are able to use the full features of any new spry version?

It would highly speed up the acceptance of this framework, i consider it to be one of the best ajax frameworks there are, but if you have to turn to handcoding, why not use scriptacoulus instead? Think it over, you have got dreamweaver wich is the best WYSWYG Web Development Environment and you have a great Ajax framework. With CS3 both been perfectly connected. Without an official adobe update installer your customers have to face unnecessary obstacles.

Sascha

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2007 6:56 AM   in reply to Michele Bedin
    "SaschaSchwartz" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
    news:f33nvk$9d7$1@forums.macromedia.com...
    > It would highly speed up the acceptance of this framework, i consider it
    > to be
    > one of the best ajax frameworks there are, but if you have to turn to
    > handcoding, why not use scriptacoulus instead?

Simply because Scriptacoulus has nothing that can compare to Spry's dataset
    and data centric functionality :-)))

YUI is slowly introducing something that moves in that direction, but it's
    far behind. This is an area where Spry is well ahead of the rest of the pack
    (when it comes to effects or widgets instead you can find plenty of
    excellent alternatives).

Don't get me wrong, I see and understand your point, I just want to let you
    know that there are many people who are using Spry outside of DW, they are
    more than happy to hand code and are choosing Spry for its unique features
    set. As you can imagine, those people see things in a different perspective.

--
    ----------------------------
    Massimo Foti, web-programmer for hire
    Tools for ColdFusion and Dreamweaver developers:
    http://www.massimocorner.com
    ----------------------------

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2007 10:10 PM   in reply to Michele Bedin
    Just to save some people time...as long as your installation of dreamweaver is in c:\program files, copy this .bat file into the spry_p1_5_051707 directory that is unzipped on your hard drive, drop to a command prompt and type in updatespry.bat and it will copy all of the necessary files over to the correct directories.
    PS: Copy the entire Spry directory off to another location before you run it so you have a backup copy of the 1.4 files. Since I cannnot seem to attach files, just copy and paste the following lines into an editor and save it off as a .bat file.

copy includes\SpryData.js "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Data\"
    copy includes\SpryXML.js "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Data\"
    copy includes\xpath.js "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Data\"
    copy includes\SpryEffects.js "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Effects\"
    copy widgets\accordion\SpryAccordion.css "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Widgets\Accordion\"
    copy widgets\accordion\SpryAccordion.css "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Widgets\Accordion\"
    copy widgets\collapsiblepanel\SpryCollapsiblePanel.js "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Widgets\CollapsiblePanel\"
    copy widgets\collapsiblepanel\SpryCollapsiblePanel.css "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Widgets\CollapsiblePanel\"
    copy widgets\menubar\SpryMenuBar.js "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Widgets\MenuBar\"
    copy widgets\menubar\SpryMenuBarHorizontal.css "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Widgets\MenuBar\"
    copy widgets\menubar\SpryMenuBarVertical.css "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Widgets\MenuBar\"
    copy widgets\tabbedpanels\SpryTabbedPanels.css "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Widgets\TabbedPanels\"
    copy widgets\tabbedpanels\SpryTabbedPanels.js "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Widgets\TabbedPanels\"
    copy widgets\checkboxvalidation\SpryValidationCheckbox.css "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Widgets\ValidationCheckbox\"
    copy widgets\checkboxvalidation\SpryValidationCheckbox.js "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Widgets\ValidationCheckbox\"
    copy widgets\selectvalidation\SpryValidationSelect.css "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Widgets\ValidationSelect\"
    copy widgets\selectvalidation\SpryValidationSelect.js "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Widgets\ValidationSelect\"
    copy widgets\textareavalidation\SpryValidationTextarea.css "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Widgets\ValidationTextarea\"
    copy widgets\textareavalidation\SpryValidationTextarea.js "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Widgets\ValidationTextarea\"
    copy widgets\textfieldvalidation\SpryValidationTextField.css "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Widgets\ValidationTextField\"
    copy widgets\textfieldvalidation\SpryValidationTextField.js "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Widgets\ValidationTextField\"

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2007 7:57 AM   in reply to skeeze
    Hi Skeeze,

thanks very much for the .bat, it worked fine !! I just wonder if not all files from the "includes" folder should be copied to the "Shared\Spry\Data" directory to make it a complete installation ?

However, if anyone wants that, I can provide a .bat for german windows systems where it´s all by default installed in "C:\Programme\Adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\..." -- search/replace would also do ;-)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2007 1:04 PM   in reply to Michele Bedin
    Adobe -

Your Spry development is great, but you really should have a Dreamweaver update/installer for each new revision of the framework.

Initially, the majority of users are ALMOST ALL DREAMWEAVER users. This might change as it gains more universal acceptance, but you are really biting the hand that feeds you by not issuing an auto-update installer for each revision.
    Not to mention that your Dreamweaver Support Team will waste many unnecessary hours on the phone/chat/email with customers who have tried to make the modifications by hand.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but you guys are selling cheeseburgers without the CHEESE and it really needs to stop!

=o)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2007 12:37 PM   in reply to ccptechs_mvo
    This blog post from Don Booth talks about Adobe's plans to develope an easier way to update the Spry framework and files.

http://blogs.adobe.com/spryteam/

J Bishop

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2007 9:18 AM   in reply to Michele Bedin
    After following the instructions for copying v1.5 into the Configuration folder, to be safe I renamed the files in my SpryAssets folder to indicate they are v1.4. Now, if there is to be havoc from using to v1.5, let the havoc begin!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2007 11:40 PM   in reply to Michele Bedin
    So where can I get this update? I too am pretty disappointed with just how complicated this process is. I would have thought you could easily insert dwop down menus straight into the page and customise them easily. Project 7 products do a much better job than this - I guess that's teh kind of interface and ease of use I thought spry would offer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2007 1:00 AM   in reply to Michele Bedin
    I found it at http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/spry/ in the 'Download and
    Discuss area'. It's got all the Read Me files as to what's changed but not
    an updated Dreawmweaver CS3 help file so jkeep them handy. No doubt
    Dreamweaver's next upgrade will include this.

On 26/6/07 7:40 am, in article f5qcd9$t02$1@forums.macromedia.com,
    "Interloper" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

> So where can I get this update? I too am pretty disappointed with just how
    > complicated this process is. I would have thought you could easily insert dwop
    > down menus straight into the page and customise them easily. Project 7
    > products
    > do a much better job than this - I guess that's teh kind of interface and ease
    > of use I thought spry would offer.
    >

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2007 9:45 AM   in reply to Michele Bedin
    Garry Bradley wrote:
    > No doubt
    > Dreamweaver's next upgrade will include this.

Maybe, maybe not. There's a detailed explanation of the relationship
    between Spry and Dreamweaver releases here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/spryteam/2007/06/post.html

--
    David Powers, Adobe Community Expert
    Author, "Foundation PHP for Dreamweaver 8" (friends of ED)
    Author, "PHP Solutions" (friends of ED)
    http://foundationphp.com/

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2007 2:26 AM   in reply to skeeze
    quote:

Originally posted by: skeeze
    Just to save some people time...as long as your installation of dreamweaver is in c:\program files, copy this .bat file into the spry_p1_5_051707 directory that is unzipped on your hard drive, drop to a command prompt and type in updatespry.bat and it will copy all of the necessary files over to the correct directories.
    PS: Copy the entire Spry directory off to another location before you run it so you have a backup copy of the 1.4 files. Since I cannnot seem to attach files, just copy and paste the following lines into an editor and save it off as a .bat file.

copy includes\SpryData.js "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Data\"
    copy includes\SpryXML.js "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Data\"
    copy includes\xpath.js "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Data\"
    copy includes\SpryEffects.js "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Effects\"
    copy widgets\collapsiblepanel\SpryCollapsiblePanel.js "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Widgets\CollapsiblePanel\"
    copy widgets\collapsiblepanel\SpryCollapsiblePanel.css "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Widgets\CollapsiblePanel\"
    copy widgets\menubar\SpryMenuBar.js "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Widgets\MenuBar\"
    copy widgets\menubar\SpryMenuBarHorizontal.css "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Widgets\MenuBar\"
    copy widgets\menubar\SpryMenuBarVertical.css "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Widgets\MenuBar\"
    copy widgets\tabbedpanels\SpryTabbedPanels.css "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Widgets\TabbedPanels\"
    copy widgets\tabbedpanels\SpryTabbedPanels.js "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Widgets\TabbedPanels\"
    copy widgets\checkboxvalidation\SpryValidationCheckbox.css "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Widgets\ValidationCheckbox\"
    copy widgets\checkboxvalidation\SpryValidationCheckbox.js "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Widgets\ValidationCheckbox\"
    copy widgets\selectvalidation\SpryValidationSelect.css "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Widgets\ValidationSelect\"
    copy widgets\selectvalidation\SpryValidationSelect.js "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Widgets\ValidationSelect\"
    copy widgets\textareavalidation\SpryValidationTextarea.css "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Widgets\ValidationTextarea\"
    copy widgets\textareavalidation\SpryValidationTextarea.js "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Widgets\ValidationTextarea\"
    copy widgets\textfieldvalidation\SpryValidationTextField.css "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Widgets\ValidationTextField\"
    copy widgets\textfieldvalidation\SpryValidationTextField.js "C:\program Files\adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Configuration\Shared\Spry\Widgets\ValidationTextField\"

Just a quick note that you have included the SpryAccordion.css file twice in your batch of files to be copied, one of those should be SpryAccordion.js

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2007 8:09 AM   in reply to Michele Bedin
    "David Powers" <david@example.com> wrote in message
    news:f5u47s$kul$2@forums.macromedia.com...
    > Garry Bradley wrote:
    >> No doubt
    >> Dreamweaver's next upgrade will include this.
    >
    > Maybe, maybe not. There's a detailed explanation of the relationship
    > between Spry and Dreamweaver releases here:
    >
    > http://blogs.adobe.com/spryteam/2007/06/post.html

Making any updated Spry files a lot easier to integrate into DW would be a
    good start
    Having to do it all manually and then find that something doesn't work as it
    did with the original files is an absolutey nightmare !

--
    Nadia
    Adobe® Community Expert : Dreamweaver
    ----------------------------------------

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2007 8:45 AM   in reply to kinblas
    Ok ok! ;)
    I have an extension that I have been developing, keeping up the code hints for DW and Spry. It also includes the latest 1.5 files.
    We didn't release it because we are working on a better solution.
    But this will help until that other solution is ready.
    http://www.dbooth.net/spry/spry_mxp.htm
    This simply updates the config folder with the latest files and updates code hinting and coloring.
    As the page says, this is NOT an official Adobe release and hasn't been through the testing wringer, but it should work just fine. The new code hints are quite helpful.
    I hope this helps with the pain.
    Don

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2007 3:17 PM   in reply to Michele Bedin
    : Nadia : ** Adobe Community Expert ** wrote:
    > Making any updated Spry files a lot easier to integrate into DW would be a
    > good start
    > Having to do it all manually and then find that something doesn't work as it
    > did with the original files is an absolutey nightmare !

I agree. I have made no secret of my dissatisfaction with the mismatch
    between the Dreamweaver and Spry release cycles. Quite frankly, it makes
    Dreamweaver CS3 look like a paid-for beta. Sorry, Adobe, but this is
    like the CS3 installer - something that should not have been imposed on
    paying customers.

However, Don has made an "officially unofficial" extension available
    that should help move things forward in a positive way:

--
    David Powers, Adobe Community Expert
    Author, "Foundation PHP for Dreamweaver 8" (friends of ED)
    Author, "PHP Solutions" (friends of ED)
    http://foundationphp.com/

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2007 8:06 PM   in reply to kinblas
    "Donald Booth" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
    news:f60l1t$rrh$1@forums.macromedia.com...
    > Ok ok! ;)
    > I have an extension that I have been developing, keeping up the code hints
    > for
    > DW and Spry. It also includes the latest 1.5 files.
    > We didn't release it because we are working on a better solution.
    > But this will help until that other solution is ready.
    > http://www.dbooth.net/spry/spry_mxp.htm

Don,

how is this supposed to work. I see it is a command, but it doesn't appear
    in the command menu once installed.

Nadia

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2007 9:17 PM   in reply to Newsgroup_User
    All it does is copy the new Spry files to the user config folder.
    Next time you use a Spry thing that needs a Spry asset, it will be copied to your local root folder, but only if it is not in the SpryAssets folder already.
    If you need to copy over the new files for the accordion, for example, you will have to remove the existing SpryAccordion files from your site. Then add an accordion to a new page.
    The new files will be copied over.

There is no menu item for the extension.
    So it's not super helpful, but at least you don't have to mess with the config folder.

You also get code hinting for the latest stuff. You will see it when you type 'var ds3 = new Spry.' and the new data sets will hint.

The thing we are working on will help this workflow quite a bit...
    Thanks,
    Don

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2007 1:08 AM   in reply to Newsgroup_User
    Thanks Don,
    the explanation is now clear ;-)

--
    Nadia
    Adobe® Community Expert : Dreamweaver
    ----------------------------------------
    CSS Templates |Tutorials |SEO Articles
    http://www.DreamweaverResources.com
    ~ Customisation Service Available ~
    http://www.csstemplates.com.au
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Spry Widget Examples
    http://www.dreamweaverresources.com/spry-widgets/
    ----------------------------------------------------

> All it does is copy the new Spry files to the user config folder.
    > Next time you use a Spry thing that needs a Spry asset, it will be copied
    > to
    > your local root folder, but only if it is not in the SpryAssets folder
    > already.
    > If you need to copy over the new files for the accordion, for example, you
    > will have to remove the existing SpryAccordion files from your site. Then
    > add
    > an accordion to a new page.
    > The new files will be copied over.
    >
    > There is no menu item for the extension.
    > So it's not super helpful, but at least you don't have to mess with the
    > config
    > folder.
    >
    > You also get code hinting for the latest stuff. You will see it when you
    > type
    > 'var ds3 = new Spry.' and the new data sets will hint.
    >
    > The thing we are working on will help this workflow quite a bit...
    > Thanks,
    > Don
    >
    >

|
    Mark as:
    36. ,
    Jul 10, 2007 1:19 PM   in reply to Diana Ispas
    Greetings,

May I ask for your help to send me an e-mail of the Accordion spry designtime folder, because I've accidentally deleted its designtime when I upgraded from spry widget 1.4 to 1.5 :( Or may I ask where I can download it?

I would appreciate your help, it'll be very big for me. Thanks!

Sincerely,

Van

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2007 7:10 AM   in reply to Michele Bedin
    I do not know how complicated it might be (the Adobe gang would need to answer it), but rather than using an extension to update the Spry component of DWCS3 from 1.4 to 1.5, would it be better to use the Adobe Update feature that is built into CS3?

I ask as an extension makes sense if it could add Spry to earlier versions of DW, but if it cannot then the Adobe Update function might be better as Spry is an actual shipped part of DWCS3. That way it could be directly integrated into DW via a batch/patch file (or whatever method Adobe chose). Additional updates to Spry could be accomplished the same way. If it were done that way, however, some form of notice would be necessary to alert people to what it was doing and some form of readme should be included.

Just an idea.

Skip Keats

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2007 10:52 AM   in reply to Donald Booth
    quote:

Originally posted by: Donald Booth
    Ok ok! ;)
    I have an extension that I have been developing, keeping up the code hints for DW and Spry. It also includes the latest 1.5 files.
    We didn't release it because we are working on a better solution.
    But this will help until that other solution is ready.
    This simply updates the config folder with the latest files and updates code hinting and coloring.
    As the page says, this is NOT an official Adobe release and hasn't been through the testing wringer, but it should work just fine. The new code hints are quite helpful.
    I hope this helps with the pain.
    Don

Don, thank you for posting this extension.
    Have you figured out any way to get these new widgets into the menu bar yet?
    Can I add them to the fovorites panel somehow?
    Thanks again,
    Tommy

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2007 3:08 PM   in reply to TommyLogic
    To reply to the last 2 respondents,
    I made the extension because we could just do it and release it by ourselves. The Adobe Update process has more overhead and it would take longer to get out. Plus, using an extension will allow us to include it in the Spry zip.
    But we might end up using the AU because, well, that's what it is for.

And for the last poster, I mentioned that this mxp does not add any new features to DW. It simply updates the Spry js files that get copied over to the site.

Thanks!
    Don

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers