• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HostMySite.com - How's their service?

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2007 Jul 26, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am searching for a reliable CF hosting service to move my company's website, and it seems almost everyone on this forum gives a thumb-up to HostMySite.com. I checked out the website and their VPS hosting may be just what we need.

Before jumping on the bandwagon, though, I wanto to hear from those of you who have experience dealing with the company - past & present. I'd like to know how good is their guarantee on the servers' uptime and 24/7 tech support, as well as the level of customer service in general. (Shared hosting or VPS)

Thank you all in advance, for your valuable input.

KJ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently have a VPS account with HMS. While they are a bit more expensive than other ColdFusion-capable hosting services, their support is unbelievable. When I set up my account, they walked me through every step of the setup, making sure that everything was working okay. A few weeks later, I needed some more help, called them, and they had the problem resolved within about 5 minutes.

That's just my experience--way better than the nightmare at GoDaddy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick resonse, existdissolve.

Just curious, are you on basic CF VPS or CF VPS +? Do you know if there's any significant difference between the two?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... and may I ask how long you've been hosting with HMS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on the CF VPS +. The biggest difference, of course, would be the RAM--I opted for the full GIG because of my site is very database intensive.

I have been with HMS for about 3 months now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might also check out http://www.gearhost.com
They also offer multi-domain accounts. Their prices are
very reasonable especially for CF hosts. Support is good.

I hosted with them with a multi-domain account for over
6 months and now have a managed dedicated server with
them which I've had for about 20 months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

junkhoon:

I've been with HMS since 2001 and have been very happy with their services and support. They are, as existdissolve notes, a little pricier but I've found it to be worth it. I have 2 dedicated boxes, 2 Windows VPS, about 1 dozen shared CF plans, and a variety of Linux solutions with them, too. Never had any issues in 6+ years. When something does occur, it's always fixed VERY fast -- support is 24/7/365.

As for VPS and VPS+, I think it's worth the extra dough for the +. You get a GB of RAM, which is important when you're running IIS, CFMX and SQL Server from the same box. It gives plenty of room for growth and things run as well as on my two dedicated machines.

Good luck!
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Katsuey, I certainly will check it out.

We do need IIS & CFMX 7 but the website is currently running w/ MS Access, craigkaminsky. The avg. number of page hits is 30,000 - 35,000 a month with 25 - 30 GB of traffic. My comany is in construction materials/services industry therefore user base is limited.

I know SQL server is the way to go ultimately but I just don't see it happening here anytime soon. More RAM is always better (My home PC has 1GB RAM too) but do you think it's still a must?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you might be a candidate for your own dedicated
server. If so, talk directly to Ryan at Gearhost and mention I
sent you (I don't get anything out of it, just means if he has a
server available, you'll be top on the list).

With a limited user base, I'm not sure that you really need
MS SQL - sounds like MySQL would do the job. I certainly
would avoid Access for anything but the lightest weight database
and usage.

I had to upgrade my home computer to 2 GB RAM, these darn programs
they build consume more and more. I was running "okay" on 1GB but I
love having tons of Apps open at the same time so when a customer calls
and I have to check something, I don't have to close down what I was
working on first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 27, 2007 Jul 27, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, KJ,

I agree with Katsuey that you should really consider upgrading to SQL Server. The HMS VPS systems have SQL Server on it and there is an upsize wizard from Access to SQL Server that would make it fairly easy to update from Access to SQL Server.

I'm a big proponent of getting as much RAM as possible on servers. Like Katsuey says, the programs today require more and more. I run with 3GB of RAM and use most of it all day. Typically, you can get away with 512 MB but when you hit some peak times (and 25-30 GB of traffic is a well-hit site) it could cause bottlenecks and performance issues for you.

Also, if you do stick with Access, it means you have to run the ColdFusion ODBC Agent and ODBC Server services, these take up more RAM and, I've noticed that, over time, they eat up some serious system resources. If you migrate to SQL Server (really, not trying to push you :), you can keep these services turned off. Of course, SQL Server is running...but I think it's more efficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used HMS for all of my clients for the last 3 years, and I think their great. HMS is a bit pricey, but you do get what you pay for. They have excellent 24/7 tech support over phone, IM, e-mail. All issues I've had (and they've been very little -- usually just permission to a folder issue) were resolved within the IM chat time OR one hour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I'd love to migrate to SQL server but that's not included in the scope of my current project. Besides I am working in a corporate environment where pretty much everyeone has to work with various time & budget constraints, along with conservative decision making process etc. so...

Anyway, I truly appreciate all of you for making valuable contributions. Now I think I will take this to my boss and have some interesting discussions with him.

Wish me luck, guys.

KJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In article <f8banv$l38$1@forums.macromedia.com> "junkhoon"
<webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:
> We do need IIS & CFMX 7 but the website is currently running w/ MS
> Access, craigkaminsky. The avg. number of page hits is 30,000 -
> 35,000 a month with 25 - 30 GB of traffic. My comany is in
> construction materials/services industry therefore user base is
> limited.

I'm on HMS CF VPS+ with similar traffic - but on the Linux plan with
MySQL. I was on HMS's shared hosting before that but my site was
overwhelming the server from time to time. Even on the VPS my site
gets overwhelmed occasionally (by badly behaved spiders and spambots,
as far as I can tell since it's network traffic that goes through the
roof, not CPU or memory).
And my home laptop has 3Gb RAM :)

Sean Corfield
http://corfield.org/

--
I'm using an evaluation license of nemo since 51 days.
You should really try it!
http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 30, 2007 Jul 30, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order to get away from Access and towards SQL server take a look at SQL Server Express 2005 it's free from Microsoft.

Just simply download it. It's not quite as robust as the full version either it holds a max of 4 Gigs and runs on a single processor.

It does understand stored procedures, views and triggers and has decent security. All in all it's much better than Access.

I've used it to replace any Access database I've used. I have used it with CF MX 7 on Windows no prolems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 30, 2007 Jul 30, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> In order to get away from Access and towards SQL server take a look at SQL
> Server Express 2005 it's free from Microsoft.

Tell me why SQL instead of simply MySQL. Benefits?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2008 Apr 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been with HMS since the spring of 2004. I'm shopping for a new service. It appears that they have grown too big and have let many critical things fall through the cracks. Here is a rundown of my saga:

-January 2004: My first linux machine with CFMX 6 took about 6 weeks to get the setup correct.

-June 2004: Operating System File Corruption problems. Server down for a day. We add a RAID Array.

-December 2004: Hard drive failure. New machine built and the same setup issues ensue.

-February 2005: 2nd Server added. Setup goes relatively smoothly

-February 2007: They build a new datacenter and decided to physically move my first server on 48 hours notice. Upon moving it, their new fancy networking completely fubar's the server because of software conflicts. All sites are down for 2 days while they build a new machine. Same setup config problems. It takes several months to get a stable setup and have all sites moved over.

-March 2008: I've decided to put 2 servers in a load balanced config. They've assured me they know what they are doing. Six weeks later and a myriad of headaches, the load balanced config still isn't live. And this is why I'm shopping for a new service.

Overall, once they get the setup correct, I've been happy with their service. Their tech support people always answer the phone and they usually fix things when requested. However, getting it correct has been excruciatingly painful and as they've grown the support has gotten worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2008 Apr 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Goet, are you using a shared hosting environment or Full Dedicated? I had 4 dedicated machines with HMS, but never had any major problems. They have great customer service, but not always the best with some of the more advanced stuff.

I'm now using dedicated machines with Godaddy and havnt had any problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation