Skip navigation
Stefan Thomas
Currently Being Moderated

JamJar is Flex at it's worst

Jun 19, 2007 6:12 PM

First - to make that perfectly clear - I love Flex. I LOVE it. And I totally agree with the "High Definition User Experience" approach. Our technology today is finally sophisticated enough that we can also think about whether it looks and feels good. When using JamJar however, one feels reminded of the animated gif backgrounds that plagued the Internet in the 90s. The sounds are certainly the most annoying part and no it's not just because they don't match the animation but also because I don't want it to sound like I'm playing Super Mario just because I happen to be using a Flex application.

From a usability point of view.... it's not that bad, but I've seen better Flex apps. Make it faster. Animations are nice, but they should never exceed 0.3 seconds, otherwise you sit there waiting for animations to complete all the time. Sure JamJar is obviously not meant to be a productive application, but to demonstrate what Flex can do. However, all it demonstrates right now is what can go wrong if you choose to go with Flex.

Cheers,

Stefan Thomas

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 11, 2007 12:12 PM   in reply to Stefan Thomas
    Stephan- Would you care to enlighten us on another multiuser, persistent, shared canvas application written in Flex that does a better job than flex?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2007 2:00 PM   in reply to RyanOConnell
    foo

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2007 2:39 PM   in reply to epgweb
    Well, I guess since no one has any clear winners for multiuser flex apps here, i'll name a few web apps (AJAX/FLASH). Google Docs, Talk, Flickr, Maps, Connect , etc... The things that make these apps usable is , well DIRECTION and a great use case.

epgweb - I share your hate for myspace, but there are some valid use cases for shared online apps: Google Docs/SpreadSheet, Wikipedia, IM Clients (google talk, AIM express). We wouldn't have these if we shied away from a these basic ideals of multiuser apps.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2007 2:59 PM   in reply to epgweb
    Well in my humble opinion Jamjar is fantastic.

It afford groups to keep in touch on a shared theme and to do so easily.

Most of the people I invited to a Jamjar session encountered
    difficulties of one sort or another. Nonetheless that is not to say
    that the concept is not robust.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2010 7:11 AM   in reply to Stefan Thomas

I really agree to the part of the sounds. Do this project a big favour, and get rid of them!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)