• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat Pro 8.0 working in Windows 10

Engaged ,
Sep 25, 2015 Sep 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know whether these steps have allowed my Acrobat Pro 8.0 to work in Windows 10. However here is what I did.

My Win 10 Pro is an upgrade from Win 7 Pro. Acrobat Pro 8.0 was on the Win 7 Pro machine and carried over working.

Prior to a recent update of Windows 10, everything seemed ok with running Acrobat Pro 8.0. Windows 10 recognized it and it had the proper file associations.

After the Update:

Windows 10 replaced my default PDF program with Adobe Reader DC. Acrobat Pro 8.0 disappeared from the Default drop down menu and was longer associated with PDF files. Thank goodness Acrobat Pro 8 was still alive. I had to search the hard drive for it because it was not listed as a program under "All Apps"". When I re-associated it with PDF files, it was listed as an "unknown application". The association sort of worked when I wanted to open a particular file. However, when an unknown or non-particular file was launched, it still was opened by Reader DC. Naturally that got me pissed. I have never liked Reader since I have had Acrobat Pro. You can't do what you can in Pro in Reader. Thus I wanted it gone. I used the uninstall in Control Panel. That didn't work. More pissed. Since I know that certain AV programs need a special program from the maker to totally uninstall, I looked om the Adobe website and found  AdobeAcroCleaner_DC2015.zip  http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/acrobatcleaner.html . That did the job, Acrobat Reader was totally non-functioning. I think it was totally gone. What's interesting is that after Reader was removed Acrobat Pro 8 became a recognized program; however it is still not on the drop down menu.("Huh")

One of my goals was to install all the updates, which I couldn't. I still can't. To that goal I went into the registry, I noticed that .msp files were no longer a file type to be recognized, so I added it through out the registry. The update files are .msp, so I thought that would do it. Nope. Being determined to override Win 10's limitation on Acrobat Pro, I went back into the registry. Using the registry of a Win 8.1 machine which has a working copy of Pro with all the updates, I made changes to and created all the registry items of Acrobat Pro to that of Pro on the 8.1 machine. That took some time. When I finished I was sure I could deploy the updates. Double clicking on the update files still did not work. Next try. I found the install package of Acrobat Pro in Windows\installer. I got the right package from the info in the registry. I then tried to use the .exe files in the installer to deploy the updates. No go. In fact when I tried the .exe files I got back a message "This app can't run on your PC" "To find a version for PC, check with the software publisher". Right, that isn't going to happen. In the mean time I found msiexe.exe was "the" windows installer for .msi files. It was also referenced to .msp files. Not being knowledgeable about launching files, I guessed and tried. Again no go. So I went to the Net. I found some references for using msiexe.exe, but didn't understand them. So since I have screwed up my registry before by trying command line functions without knowledge, I stopped guessing. I spent considerable time on the Net looking for simple instructions. That's how I got here. You can see my post  "Update Acrobat Pro 8.0 in Windows 10" https://☼forums.adobe.com/thread/1962411 (remove the ☼)

Since I have gotten on the Forum, I have read horror stories in posts when attempting to update to 8.1. Working programs died. I now have decided not to do any updates until the update problem has a solution.

Right now my Acrobat Pro 8 is working fine. I'm not sure it is stable, but I think so.  Nevertheless, it might be all my adjustments to the registry which is making it run without problems. Again it might not. I might just be lucky. Time will tell.

I thought if I told my story, it might be a way to get a non-working Acrobat program to work. I'm not saying it will because, per Adobe  Acrobat Pro 8.0 is not compatible with Windows 10  https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/system-requirements-acrobat-family-products.html  I think this a CYA statement that they have not and probably will not test the legacy programs in Win 10. Is this their way of saying buy a new program. My personal opinion is that Adobe as well as some other vendors are in cahoots with Microsoft to make sure legacy programs don't work in Win 10. Remember Microsoft's comment that if the program works in Win 7 or Win 8.1, it will work in Win 10. Right!!

You can use the steps I did, but there is no guarantee that they will wok for you. You are on your own with that. I know it is unnerving to have Acrobat not work. Best of luck to those with non-working programs.  

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

I completely understand your concern however Acrobat 8 is a pretty older version and would not work on Windows 10.

Only Acrobat XI and Acrobat DC are the compatible versions with Windows 10.

It is advisable to move on to Acrobat DC not only to make it compatible however to get a better experience as it comes with an enhances UI and is loaded with more features.

It would undoubtedly benefit you.

Regards

Sukrit Dhingra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your comment Sukrit.

I think you failed to read my whole discussion. My Acrobat Pro 8 is working just fine in Windows 10 as of now. I have stopped all the Updates so it should continue working.

You can read in the discussion that I had to totally remove Reader DC to make it work. Now it works as it has on Win 7 and Win 8.1.

Maybe you can explain that before Reader DC was removed and Acrobat Pro 8 was associated with PDF files it was an "unknown application". However after Reader DC was totally removed, the association is shown as Adobe Acrobat 8. What caused Windows 10 from not knowing ("unknown") Acrobat Pro 8 to then knowing? The only thing that happened was the removal of Reader DC.

With regard to moving to Acrobat DC, I would take it if it were free. However, it is not. I do not take kindly to people or software trying to force me to spend money. In most cases I am smart enough to continue what I have. Then I (not others) will make the decision to buy.

Regardless, I appreciate you reading my discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi ,

It' great if it is working for you.

I did read your discussion ,my point was that Acrobat 8 is quite an older version and also an unsupported one.Only Acrobat XI and Acrobat DC have been tested on windows 10 environment ,that fully supports them

You had to customize it to make it work.In the general scenario it should not.

Congratulations if it is working for you.

The whole idea to request you to move to the latest version is not spending money however to make your work lot easier and convenient with the new Acrobat as it is loaded with new features.

Regards

Sukrit Dhingra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines