Skip navigation
panchamee
Currently Being Moderated

Browser issues with UNIX-like platform--posing as a show-stopper!

Feb 29, 2008 1:15 AM

While viewing the WebHelp on a UNIX browser, the TOC does not utilise the entire left-hand panel. What it takes is, about 10% of the left-hand panel with a scrollbar. If I expand the TOC, it utilises only that 10% with scrollbar.
As a workaround, I used Java Applet > Pure HTML (instead of DHTML > Java Applet > Pure HTML) in WebHelp options during compilation. This works fine with the browser in UNIX-like platforms. But does not work with IE.

We also cannot have two different WebHelp for UNIX and like, and Windows as another workaround,
This is a show-stopper! :((

Has anyone come across this issue?
Please help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 29, 2008 1:53 AM   in reply to panchamee
    Trying to visualise this.

Are you saying that of the total width the help occupies, the TOC frame is let's say 20% but the contents of the TOC are only filling 10% of that 20% so that you have a void?

Unix is an operating system, not a browser. If I understand you, viewed with IE you get this problem but not with some other browser, which one?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2008 3:34 AM   in reply to panchamee
    Please send me some screenshots via my site.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2008 8:13 AM   in reply to panchamee
    OK I now understand what you are saying. I assume the slide bar you get does allow the user to see all the TOC contents.

This is not something I have seen before and I don't think I have seen it reported. Certainly it is not a problem I see with Unix based servers so I think it must be to do with the variant you are using.

I'm sorry but I cannot offer any solution.

The problem can be seen at http://www.grainge.org/tocproblem.jpg if anyone has some ideas.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2008 11:22 AM   in reply to Peter Grainge
    Hi all

Peter, would the RoboHelp packager for AIR be of value here?

Just thinkin out loud... Rick

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2008 12:01 PM   in reply to panchamee
    At the moment it is only available to run on Windows and Mac plaftforms. Linux later so I think the answer is no, at least not right now.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2008 11:32 AM   in reply to panchamee
    Hello panchamee -

Yes, have see that problem on older versions of Firefox in Linux and Windows. I made a hack to the RoboHelp application files but that was years ago and I have forgot which files I modified. If I recall, the problem is due to the nav pane HTML being incorrect (sloppy) and FF didn't like it. It took me a long time to find the several files to change but the changes were simple.

Wish I could remember what files I changed in the RH application directory.

Regards,
    GEWB

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2008 7:46 AM   in reply to panchamee
    panchamee,

whform.js deals with the content, I believe.

For frame setup issues, I'd start with whthost.js in the output file.
    Also, whtdthml.htm

Post back if this doen't solve it.

Harvey

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 2:57 PM   in reply to panchamee

I'm having the same exacty problem with my Web Help on

my Unix platform.  I know it was 2 years ago but what was the fix?  The link that was given does

not exsist.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 9:02 PM   in reply to carriepa2000

Looks like that page has gone. I did find a forum post referencing it:

The WebHelp is not displaying in the Mozilla browser in Solaris environment

It seems to indicate editing the whphost file and making some height 100%.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2010 12:20 PM   in reply to panchamee

Hi,

I have the EXACT same problem when viewing Webhelp through Firefox. Like you, webhelp does not display the left TOC panel 100% and displays scrollbars, even when expanded.  I uninstalled it, upgraded, and did whatever I could to get my file to display the TOC correctly in Firefox. 

On an interesting note, the left panel displayed correctly during a quick test using other computers; I just assumed it was something with my computer.  I currently generate the output as DHTML >  Pure HTML.

I'm sorry I can't give you a solution, other than to acknowledge the same issue still occurs with me  using FF: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/586176 . It displays okay in IE8, not in FF 3.6.3.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points