Skip navigation

Adobe latest FreeHand MX upgrade, Would you pay?

Apr 19, 2008 11:26 AM

Latest reply: Kaiser Chow, Oct 6, 2013 7:09 AM
Replies 1 2 3 4 ... 21 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2008 1:11 PM   in reply to Jack PNG
    > If you can't stand Illustrator, give Corel or Canvas a go.

Unfortunately for Mac users, current versions of neither CorelDraw nor
    Canvas are available on the Mac platform.

Even if one tried running either of them on an Intel Mac under Boot Camp for
    Windows, I can't imaging the font hassles and copy/paste problems one might
    encounter when working in tandem with Mac software such as Photoshop.

Judy Arndt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2008 3:28 PM   in reply to Jack PNG
    Yes, absolutely, I'm in!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2008 5:37 PM   in reply to Jack PNG
    Again, having tested Freehand against Illustrator in the creative departments I've run since 1985, we found it a much more efficient creative tool for creating SERIES of ads, SERIES of packaging, entire advertising CAMPAIGNS, and print collateral SERIES. To lose this highly esteemed creative tool is a SERIOUS mistake on Adobe's part.

The three kingpin applications that my shops have run have been #1 FREEHAND, #2 PHOTOSHOP, #3 FLASH. Everything else is tertiary from the design/advertising process point of view. I am now looking into open source replacements for Freehand. While this may appear extreme, I assure you - trying to replace Freehand with as clunky of an application as Illustrator is a money losing proposition for my agency.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2008 3:36 PM   in reply to Jack PNG
    You bet! I would pay

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2008 5:46 PM   in reply to Jack PNG
    Absolutely Yes!!! I have thousands of FH files (20 years worth) and use it everyday. Also have Illustrator but it sits collecting dust. As long as FH works on the upcoming hardware and OSs I will use it above anything else.
    Long Live FH. The King of Vectors!!

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2008 5:00 AM   in reply to Jack PNG
    YES. Please!

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2008 11:58 AM   in reply to Newsgroup_User
    Yes, definitely. It is still the easiest to use and works across the board. (Now if only I could figure out why it suddenly won't make text "flow around selection.")

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2008 1:35 PM   in reply to Jack PNG
    Yes, I will upgrade my FreeHand MX with Adobe. It's been the most efficient creative work flow tool for over 20 years. The key is it's efficiency to handle entire creative projects. If Adobe were paying attention, this would become the central harness to attach all of it's applications to.

It's interface works more similarly to that of Photoshop and Flash by far, than does Illustrator. Illustrator is an accurate but cumbersome illustration tool. Perfect for special effects, yet horrible at switching between Flash and Photoshop. Yet Freehand does this with ease and acts easily as the central harness for creative workflow. I wish Adobe would wake up and realize what an asset this tool really is... and use it as a central creative assembly point.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2008 2:41 PM   in reply to Jack PNG
    In article <g0a9lm$9la$1@forums.macromedia.com>,
    "bpotash" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

> Yes, I will upgrade my FreeHand MX with Adobe. It's been the most efficient
    > creative work flow tool for over 20 years.

While I agree, FH effectively died after version 9 and has since been
    declared dead even by Adobe, although they continue to sell it.

FH is no more.

--
    Cheers Martin

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2008 10:19 AM   in reply to Jack PNG
    I would upgrade of course, but I expect them to ONLY STABILIZE IT and fix reported bugs and NOT include dumb new features instead! I mean if Adobe begins hacking around the interface, we end up with something useless like Illustrator!

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2008 2:03 PM   in reply to thumahawk
    quote:

Originally posted by: thumahawk
    I would upgrade of course, but I expect them to ONLY STABILIZE IT and fix reported bugs and NOT include dumb new features instead! I mean if Adobe begins hacking around the interface, we end up with something useless like Illustrator!

Agree and I have said it before on this board. But I don´t understand the members reminding us of Illustrator every time we ask for a FH upgrade in the FH section? I left Illustrator many years ago and will never go back as I now have a better program that will last until I retire. A few bugs less and it would be perfect. Yes I would pay for this to happen even if Adobe should have done it for free years ago...

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2008 4:02 PM   in reply to Navale
    quote:

Originally posted by: Navale
    quote:

Originally posted by: thumahawk

Agree and I have said it before on this board. But I don´t understand the members reminding us of Illustrator every time we ask for a FH upgrade in the FH section? I left Illustrator many years ago and will never go back as I now have a better program that will last until I retire. A few bugs less and it would be perfect. Yes I would pay for this to happen even if Adobe should have done it for free years ago...

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2008 4:28 PM   in reply to Jack PNG
    Yes of course i would pay for an upgrade.
    I hate to be forced in to using Illustrator. I have been in the advertising business for 20 ears and i have been using Freehand since version 3.
    I am running a small grafic design company in Iceland and
    all people that work for me these days are using illustrator.
    So i have to use and know Illustrator to being able to guide my people or finish or change files or make more work in the same stile. When i do my own design work i use Freehand. I hate Illustrator interface. I miss paste inside. I do not like all this extra lines and frames and it is difficult to chose things that is near to other things.

But i know that i have to use Illustrator in the future. I am trying to be
    open minded about it but I will use Freehand as long as I can.

I think i am hoping for a mirracle and maby all of a sudden Adobe will deside to upgrade Freehand.

I have often looked at this forum
    Gudrun

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2008 11:26 AM   in reply to Jack PNG
    Yes, Absolutely I'd upgrade my FreehandMX!

I just stumbled on this thread... great.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2008 12:47 PM   in reply to thumahawk
    > Agree and I have said it before on this board. But I don?t understand the
    > members reminding us of Illustrator every time we ask for a FH upgrade in
    > the
    > FH section?

We hate to see so many folks living on fumes of hope. ;o)

-Darrel

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2008 1:15 PM   in reply to Jack PNG
    scenario#1:

One day, the government says you can still drive, but you have to use this 'here' model that you have tried but, can't make work. We are the government - this is the law - you lose.

Next!

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2008 1:16 PM   in reply to Jack PNG
    scenario#1:

One day, the government says you can still drive, but you have to use this 'here' model that you have tried but, can't make work. We are the government - this is the law - you lose.

Next!

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2008 9:07 AM   in reply to Jack PNG
    I agree with pretty much everything that's been said, and I'd also pay for a good upgrade of FreeHand.
    Not to dilute the arguement, but another approach worth considering might be for Adobe to upgrade Illustrator so
    its Preferences had REAL settings for appearance, behaviors, (for those of us who wanted it) to make Illustrator work like FreeHand. For years, FreeHand's preferences have given us 40-60 settings to customize; you could even make it behave like Illustrator. Whereas Illustrator's preferences STILL have a dozen panels with, maybe half a dozen settings which might affect ease of use). Give us real choices and think well about how to simplify tools so it doesn't take three pen cursors to do our work, and the transition may be bearable. To a large extent, it's the arrogance of "things work only this [clumsy] way" which drives me nuts.

Also in Illustrator provide an option to turn off all the filters we choose not to use, either individually or as a batch.

Plus adopt all 150+ items on Judy's list of things we all wish Illustrator could do. Not too much to ask.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2008 10:52 AM   in reply to Jack PNG
    > Plus adopt all 150+ items on Judy's list of things we all wish Illustrator
    > could do. Not too much to ask.

hehe.

What makes all this dreaming futile is that Adobe is the market leader. They
    OWN the vector illustration market. You really can't convince the market
    leader to improve their product. There's simply no business reason to do so
    (see: Quark, Intuit, Microsoft, Autodesk, etc.)

If people really want to see a better product, we need to support the
    runner-up, whatever that may be. Perhaps Corel, perhaps an open source
    project, etc.

For instance, perhaps every FH user could donate $10 to the inkscape
    project:

http://www.inkscape.org/

Or commit to buying product X if they added features a b and c to it.

I understand the wishful thinking. I think the same, too. As long as we all
    realize it's just that...wishful thinking ;o)

-Darrel

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2008 1:15 PM   in reply to Jack PNG

> If people really want to see a better product, we need to support the
    > runner-up, whatever that may be. Perhaps Corel, perhaps an open source
    > project, etc.

I supported Corel long enough but switched to FreeHand. I still think Corel is better in many ways, for example outline editing is far better. But unfortunately Corel was not reliable in production. It may be now but I rather use Illustrator.

The problem with open source projects is that the developers seem to be interested in the software itself not what you can do with it. So usability isn't always too good.

I do support the idea of open source but frankly I do not want to use programs like Inkspace in prodution.

Jukka

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2008 2:01 PM   in reply to Jack PNG
    > The problem with open source projects is that the developers seem to be
    > interested in the software itself not what you can do with it. So
    > usability isn't always too good.

It's a bit of a catch-22...people shy away from Open Source software because
    they don't thnk it's quite as usable, but it can't become more usable unless
    more people use it and contribute their opinion to the project. ;o)

> I do support the idea of open source but frankly I do not want to use
    > programs like Inkspace in prodution.

I really do want to use open source software in production. Alas, you are
    correct, in that it's not there yet. Hence my thought that putting some
    money/suggestions in to the open source movement might give it some
    momentum.

-Darrel

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2008 11:32 PM   in reply to Jack PNG

>> I do support the idea of open source but frankly I do not want to use
    >> programs like Inkspace in prodution.
    >
    > I really do want to use open source software in production. Alas, you are
    > correct, in that it's not there yet. Hence my thought that putting some
    > money/suggestions in to the open source movement might give it some
    > momentum.

This is drifting way off the subject I know.

As memory serves I (we) have discussed about this before. Anyway, one thing that bothers me in open source projects is projet management. Linux is succesful because of strong management by Linus Torvalds. Unfortunately there are not too many people who have chance for that kind of commitment.

The old joke "A camel is as horse designed by a commitee." can easly be revived as "A camel is a open source horse." ;-)

Jukka

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2008 6:51 AM   in reply to Jack PNG
    > As memory serves I (we) have discussed about this before. Anyway, one
    > thing that bothers me in open source projects is projet management. Linux
    > is succesful because of strong management by Linus Torvalds. Unfortunately
    > there are not too many people who have chance for that kind of commitment.
    >
    > The old joke "A camel is as horse designed by a commitee." can easly be
    > revived as "A camel is a open source horse." ;-)

To be fair, I've dealt with lots of very expensive commercial software that
    suffered the same.

And, these days, there are a LOT of very well managed OS projects...Firefox,
    Drupal, Joomla, VLC, Jquery, Apache, so I think there's hope.

At least more hope in that than Adobe ever updating Freehand. ;o)

-Darrel

|
    Mark as:
    64. ,
    May 16, 2008 7:49 AM   in reply to Jack PNG
    Yes, I will upgrade my FreeHand MX with Adobe.

Please do it.
    In my country (Portugal) 99% of the design/brand/advertising companies uses Freehand.
    Tanx.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2008 8:02 AM   in reply to Jack PNG

> At least more hope in that than Adobe ever updating Freehand. ;o)

Yup, but they have helluva lot of catching up to do if they want to even top Illustrator.

I just hope next Illustrator will have more FreeHand features. Anyway, my creativity has not disappeard after changing from FreeHand to Illustrator, Most often it is not the software I use but the clog between the ears.

Jukka

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2008 8:50 AM   in reply to Jack PNG
    Yes, I will upgrade my FreeHand MX with Adobe

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2008 8:50 AM   in reply to Jack PNG
    Yes, I will upgrade my FreeHand MX with Adobe

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2008 1:55 AM   in reply to Jack PNG

> Anyway, my creativity has not disappeard after changing from FreeHand to Illustrator

But obviously my typing has. ;-)

Jukka

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2008 8:51 AM   in reply to Jack PNG
    YES!

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2008 7:37 PM   in reply to Jack PNG
    Count me in, I still make about 8 hours of new Freehand vector art a day and have 12 years or so in stock that I have to access.

I'm a year short of my 50th birthday and I don't ever see myself training to learn a defective new program (illustrator)

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2008 9:56 AM   in reply to StevieJV
    Lets say Adobe did bring Freehand back but it was a little different. Would you all be happy if Freehand became a Technical drawing app but still did all of what it can do now? Kind of like how Corel has Corel Draw and Corel Designer. That way Freehand wouldn't be the same as AI and of course they would market it different.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2008 10:31 AM   in reply to Jack PNG
    I have been a user of Freehand since the "Aldus" days. After the great curving formulas of the ole -- MacDraw, MacDrawPro -- went away, Freehand has ruled. Just a better package than Illustrator. Would be GLAD to see it kept alive and more than happy to pay for it. Ideally, it should have been part of the "Master Collection" as those of us that are fighting to keep are DESIGN MASTERS!!

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2008 12:35 PM   in reply to dsnaps12
    I wouldnt mind that. I mean, it detraacts from the name "freehand" -- as it should be to be used for MORE than just technical applications. However, perhaps its the "technical" attributes that I like most about -- exact to the 5th decimal; curve / spline formula not "interrupted" by some membrane box around it --as Illustrator.

Plenty of other features -- that could be highlighted. Point is as many designers such as myself -- tranistioned from boards and mechanicals to the computer -- Freehand provided the drafting table equipped with appropriate tools to get the job.

I would be more than happy to be a part of a branding consortium or team that helped reposition Freehand away from Illustrator -- if thats all it takes....and I would DONATE my time!!!

Perhaps it is time that Freehand's brand evolve.

Den-Chan -- is this something you can put into action -- the thought of positioning Freehand as more of a techical app? Off the cuff and conceptually speaking -- I say its more "Davinci" than "Picasso" -- Davinci positioned as a creative systems app that works for all -- and Picasso positioned as the artistic anomoly app --- for those that like to live in "design" world forever, not knowing when to stop, and not concerned with a deadline or getting paid:)

quote:

Originally posted by: den-chan
    Lets say Adobe did bring Freehand back but it was a little different. Would you all be happy if Freehand became a Technical drawing app but still did all of what it can do now? Kind of like how Corel has Corel Draw and Corel Designer. That way Freehand wouldn't be the same as AI and of course they would market it different.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2008 12:32 PM   in reply to StevieJV

> Lets say Adobe did bring Freehand back but it was a little different.
    > Would you
    > all be happy if Freehand became a Technical drawing app but still did all
    > of
    > what it can do now? Kind of like how Corel has Corel Draw and Corel
    > Designer.
    > That way Freehand wouldn't be the same as AI and of course they would
    > market it
    > different.

Well, it's not coming back, but to play along, yea, I think that'd be
    interesting. I know it's always been preferred by the tech-drawing crowd
    anyways.

-Darrle

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2008 12:34 PM   in reply to dsnaps12
    > I would be more than happy to be a part of a branding consortium or team
    > that
    > helped reposition Freehand away from Illustrator -- if thats all it
    > takes....and I would DONATE my time!!!

If you are serious about that, perhaps consider donating some of that time
    to an OS initiative like Inkscape:

http://www.inkscape.org/

-Darrel

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2008 4:59 PM   in reply to Newsgroup_User
    I was just playing with the idea also. I know FH is not coming back. The AI team is listening to Freehand users for sure but they are also dealing with people requesting features they like from Flash, Indesign ect. So submit those feature request you want. Ai is never going to be exactly like freehand but at least a few of the features can make it in there.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2008 7:48 PM   in reply to Jack PNG
    Yes, I would pay for an update to Freehand MX. Here in New Zealand (and in South Africa where I come from) most people use Freehand. Illustrator just doesn't cut it I'm afraid.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2008 7:55 AM   in reply to Jack PNG
    Yes, I will upgrade my FreeHand MX with Adobe. I'd pay $500.00

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 ... 21 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)