• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Word has not been started on this computer

New Here ,
May 07, 2008 May 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the Adobe Technical Communication Suite and Microsoft Office 2007 installed on my office computer. My operating system is Windows Vista. In RoboHelp HTML, I have been trying to generate printed documentation through the Single Source Layouts, but I receive the following error message every time: "Microsoft Word has not been started on this computer. Launch Word and click the 'Start using Microsoft Word' option before generating Printed Documentation again."

I have indeed opened Word--many times in fact--and I don't see an option for "Start using Microsoft Word," so I'm stumped.

I am an administrator on the computer, and I installed both Office 2007 and TCS, in that order, on my system.

In attempting to resolve the problem, I have
- Tried to generate printed documentation for both old and new projects
- Tried generating .doc, .docx, and .pdf files.
- Uninstalled TCS and Office 2007 and reinstalled them, with Office 2007 first and then TCS.
- Enabled all macros in Word 2007.
- Removed PDFMaker.dot, according to the suggestion on in the Print Issues section of Peter Grainge's Web site.

None of these attempts has corrected the problem. Interestingly, though, I can import a Word file into my RoboHelp
HTML project just fine.

If anyone has any suggestions for how to resolve this problem, I would be most grateful.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

I think the only time I saw that, it was a true message!

The combo you have is what I have here so that is not it.

I think when you install there is a right click option Run As Administrator. Have you tried that? I don't think that is it but might be worth a try.

Source and target are local? Again, doubt that is it.

In the Using RH7 article on my site, there is a link to Adobe's troubleshooting guide. For this problem, that might be worth a look.

Wrong message but do you have Open Office installed? Anything unusual about the Word installation? Where does Normal.dot reside?

All installed with the same logon as when you run RH? Shouldn't be necessary with RH7 but who knows with this one.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, Peter.

I didn't try the right-click option to run as Administrator since I am the administrator on the machine and since I have User Account Control turned off, which should give me full privileges. But I'm willing to try installing again using this method if you think it might help.

Source and target are local.

I haven't run through the troubleshooting guide yet, but I will do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't have Open Office installed. I don't believe there is anything unusual about the Word installation. The Normal.dotm file is located at user/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Templates. I did, however, move my Documents directory to a different partition, but I did so before installing either Word or the Technical Communication Suite. I think that's the only anomaly.

Yes, all software was installed from the same login. I'm the sole user and account on the system.

Thanks again for the advice. I'll report back when I've tried running through the troubleshooting steps on your Web site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't say that Run As Administrator will work. Quite simply your problem is one I haven't seen and there is no logical answer that I can think of. Thus it is going to be trial and error.

Does Word default to the Documents directory given that it was moved before Word was installed?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 08, 2008 May 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There might be some clue to the problem in this: "I did, however, move my Documents directory to a different partition, but I did so before installing either Word or the Technical Communication Suite."

I don't think the Registry entries required by RH can be accessed across partitions, can they?

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't yet had a chance to try running through the troubleshooter or to reinstall through right-clicking. With as frantic as things are at work right now, I probably won't have an opportunity until Monday to give these ideas a shot.

As for moving my Documents directory, I did so before installing any software, and all software, including Word and RoboHelp HTML, recognizes it as the default Documents directory. To change the location of the directory, I simply right-clicked the Documents folder in the Start menu, and then relocated it using the option to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think particular folder is OK as it is a Word setting in Tools | Options | Files. That worked OK under XP with RH as I always kept My Documents on the D Drive.

What I was concerned about was that Documents was moved before Word was installed so did it pick that change up. Depends how Documents was moved. I suspect that like My Documents under XP there was a right and a wrong way.

All that said, I'll be surprised if this is the issue.What you have prompted me to ask though Leon is whether both Word and TCS were installed to the C drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for not clarifying. Yes, I installed Word and the Technical Communication Suite to the C drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Making some enquiries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2008 May 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mastw

I am sorry but I have not been able to find any further information. Have you managed to resolve the Word has not been started problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2008 May 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter, for trying to track down an answer. Last Wednesday I attempted to access your Web site to follow the troubleshooter, but your site was down, so I still haven't tried that approach yet.

I did, however, try moving the Documents directory back to its original location to no avail. I also checked again to make sure Word 2007 is pointing to the correct directory, and it is. Next, I uninstalled the Technical Communication Suite, deleted all the Adobe folders located on the drive, and deleted all Adobe registry entries. I then ran a registry cleaner to try to remove any leftovers and restarted the machine. Finally, I reinstalled the TCS, using the run as an administrator option.

Alas, nothing has worked, and I'm still receiving the error message when trying to create printed documentation.

As much as I dread the thought of doing so, I may just reformat the drive, and then reinstall Vista and my apps. Of course, if the problem exists even after that option, I may have to resort to uncontrollable sobbing or swearing or both.

Again, thanks for making suggestions and checking into possible solutions. I'm grateful for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2008 May 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's another thread running on this problem and Colum has reminded me of one possibility I had overlooked. Do you have Open Office installed on your PC?

If so, the answer is in Snippets on my site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2008 May 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, it's a good thought, but I don't have Open Office installed on my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2008 May 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you install on another PC in trial mode with My Documents in the default location?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2008 May 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have encountered the same error message and after quite a bit of investigation, the error message is not even associated with RoboHelp for HTML. It originates from RoboHelp for Word. I'm only guessing, but could it be that there is a conflict with a shared DLL...?

The installation that I am having problems with is on a client desktop with the following configuration: RoboHelp 7, MS Office 2003, Windows XP Pro SP2. My business laptop (I'm a consultant) has the same configuration and the print documentation process works fine. I am able to get the output I need, but because my client uses version control (VSS) with RoboHelp, I don't like the idea of having to move projects back and forth.

Several other tech writers at the client site have suggested that because the machines are running a CAT client that there may be some conflict (my business laptop is not running any such client), but unfortunately, I haven't had much time to investigate further.

Hope I haven't muddied the waters...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 30, 2008 May 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I has the same frustrating problem. I even called Adobe support, and they couldn't help. I then found that opening a sample project in Robohelp for Word resolved it. I was then able to generate printed documentation in RH HTML. While in RH for Word, I generated some help and some printed documentation. Then I closed it and openbed RH HTLM, and all was well. Apparently, using RH for Word helped RH HTML to recognize Word. Perhaps it did something to the registry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2008 May 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting and thanks for posting the solution.

There was an entirely different problem described in Snippet 40 on my site and opening RH for Word fixed that.

The elves at play again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2008 Oct 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the solution I've pieced together from the other responses.

Go to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 7\RoboHELP

(or whatever root directory path you have) and start "robohelp.exe".

Open a sample project, then close the robohelp window (File > Exit).

You should be able to run the printed documentation feature now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2008 Oct 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum Allanpsand

There's another thread running in this so I will copy your reply there and hope it works. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2008 Nov 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Realised a bit late that solution is starting RH for Word. That's already in the other thread.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=65&catid=454&threadid=1363595&e...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2008 Nov 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Realised a bit late that solution is starting RH for Word. That's already in the other thread.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=65&catid=454&threadid=1363595&e...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2009 Apr 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo,

now I and my colleagues have the same problem - but the trick with starting RoboHelp for Word didn't word. When I try the way about "File/Batch" and select "printed documentation" on the dialog, I got the message "Word VBA Macro version registered is incorrect. Please reinstall Printed Documentation."

We are using RoboHelp HTML 7, Windows Vista and MS Word 2007

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2009 Apr 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Print Issues on my site. It covers various problems with Word.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2009 Apr 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo Peter,

it seems that your site is broken. When I try to select a topic from Menu, I got the "Couldn't find page"-message (i.e. http://www.grainge.org/menu/pages/authoring/printing/printing.htm).

Best regards

oeri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2009 Apr 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I select from the menu, I get the right page and it does not include "menu" in the path.

What browser are you using? It works in FF and IE7.

Please try again.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp