Originally posted by: oliboblet
great job so far. Here are some suggestions (=things I’d love to see):
* UTF-8 support. You don’t support double-byte text (Japanese, Korean, Chinese) either directly or via copy/paste. You don’t even support some diacritics used by European languages (Česky becomes •esky). Huh?
* versioning with diff—being able to see previous versions is nice, but it’s not so useful without the ability to compare the differences between two versions, especially with multiple authors. Super mega bonus points for access to versions via git or svn or something—I want a local versioned backup for when I don’t have net access, and so I can use other tools to edit documents.
* paragraph and character styles, with a minimal set of sane, semantic defaults
* a styles gallery, allowing us to browse, apply, and share sets of style formatting to the semantic styles we're using. This lets us change the look of the document really easily, plus is a big encouragement for users to actually use “heading 1” etc over user-created “Big red Times centered”-type styles ;-)
* Style cascading—allow styles to be based on another style, so any changes that aren’t explicitly overridden get inherited
* Option to use Markdown/Textile when writing. This would probably be mainly for inline styles. which could then be auto-converted to the appropriate style/formatting. Subsequent editing of the style would then be done via standard style/formatting tools.
* Markdown/Textile as a supported file formatting (import/export)
* If the history panel is open I can’t apply formatting, but there’s no warning/feedback like there is if I try to edit text. No modal dialogs please.
Finally, please use HTML forms (not Flash) for sign-in. Flash text fields don’t allow the browser to auto-save login info, don’t accept drag-and-drop text, don’t allow the use of things like the password autogen bookmarklet, and can also have problems with keyboard layouts (ie entering some punctuation when using a non-US keyboard layout).
peace - oli
PS Why do I need to enter my postal address to sign up for this forum?
1 - Bookmarks. I have become dependent on bookmarks.... Open Office does it so well, it is easy to create and browse through them. You could make, like a little box (similar to the symbol insert one) where users could create, destroy, and follow bookmarks with just a click. It would be awesome.
2 - A floating message thing. Something that you could write comments in but wasn't attached to a specific line. I have created separate documents for this purpose, but it would be nice to be able to have it to the side. Like Macintosh Stickies or something.
3 - I thought I had another idea that I posted in the old forum... But I can't remember it... Is there anyway to visit that?
4 - Everyone wants a new organizer. Tags and folders and stuff. I suppose it would be nice. But it is defiantly the most suggested feature in the old forum.
5 - It would also be nice to be able to re-name a document for your organizer alone. Not that it would affect the true name and how others saw it.
6 - A horizontal ruler.
Originally posted by: craistrick
This is great.
I'm a PhD student hoping to be able to use this for my thesis in 2 years and any papers I publish along the way. Therefore I'd really like to see:
1 - Columns, subscript, superscript, special characters... etc
2 - Templates (which I could share)
3 - A Mindmap tool, where I could plan a document.
4 - A lists function where I could add tables, figures and references that can be collated and pinned to points in the document.
5 - Book formatting, so I could have page numbers on alternating corners, view it as a book, etc.
(oh and an iPhone interface, if flash ever gets working)
Just a thought.
Europe, Middle East and Africa