Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash script is causing the Flash Player 9 to run slowly

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2008 Jun 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi can anyone help.

I have built a cms application for a client using Dreamweaver and Dreamweaver toolbox and have added the multiple upload feature which uses flash. I have no problem viewing and uploading images on the pc using Safari or Firefox but on the mac with the same browsers I get this message.

Flash script is causing the Flash Player 9 to run slowly

Does anyone know why I am getting this message only on the mac?

Cheers

Sarah

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 22, 2008 Jun 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cause for "A script in this movie is causing Flash Player to run slowly" alert

While viewing a Adobe Flash movie in any Adobe Flash Player environment (browser, standalone, or projector), an alert appears stating "A script in this movie is causing Flash Player to run slowly". Additionally, the message box gives the viewer the option to abort the script, as can be seen in

Example

Reason
Adobe Flash Player will present this alert when a single script (for example, a one-frame ActionScript loop) continues to run for 15 seconds or longer. Giving viewers the option to end the script helps the Flash Player prevent an SWF file from freezing the viewer's browser or system indefinitely.

Note: The warning dialog box has Yes and No buttons. After pressing the No button three times (approximately 15 seconds in between prompts) the data is correctly loaded and displayed.

Solution
The solution to this alert can vary, just as the specific cause will vary.

It helps to first understand that the alert itself is not really the problem. The real problem is the performance of the application. The alert prevents the user from closing the application because they believe it is crashing.
The timeout of this alert cannot be altered, however, 15 seconds is about as long as one might want to wait for an application to become responsive.

The most common cause of a long delay is loading large amounts of data, or manipulating large amounts of data (specifically, string manipulation, or similar work that is typically time-intensive in client-side applications). It could also be a combination of both.

Loading large amounts of data

If the application loading large amounts of data (for example, 1000 records returned from a query,) consider the delivery mechanism. Most applications cannot usefully display a set of 1000 records in one view. Instead, load and display data in small chunks. This may solve a variety of problems in the application: overall performance, usability, and as a side benefit it avoids triggering the timeout alert.

Note: The number 1000 in this example is an arbitrary number. The maximum number of records allowed before this alert box appears depends on the amount of data in the XML file, the connection speed, and the speed of the client machine.

Examples:

• Adobe DataGrid Component
It's difficult to work with many records at once in the DataGrid.Pull in small chunks of data, about as much as can be efficiently displayed and used at once, and you should have improved results. 100 records at once could suit the DataGrid better than 1000, for example.

• Loading Large XML Files
Loading excessively large XML files can cause the script timeout error.

Time-consuming processing

The code may require more client-side processing than can be done in Adobe Flash Player in 15 seconds on your target machine.

• First, troubleshoot and locate the specific code that causes the delay. Breakpoints and trace are very useful features in isolating problem code.

• Once you locate the slow code block, consider the task it is performing. Some tasks, such as heavy string manipulation, can be time consuming. If heavy string manipulation is required, consider breaking it up into smaller tasks, or performing the task server-side.

• One way to break up a code block into smaller pieces of code is to spread the function or loop across multiple frames to 'distribute' the processing. The code may not run as quickly as a pure block of code on a fast machine, but if heavy manipulation is required, you can make your application more accessible to slow machines by considering different methods.

For example, to spread a loop out over several frames:

You might evaluate a variable in an if statement. If the variable returns 'true', have the movie break the loop by going to the next frame. If the variable does not return 'true', then have the movie loop back to the first frame (usually two to three frames back) of the movie. When you want to break the loop, set the variable to true.

Before deploying an application, test early and often in an environment matching the lower end of your target audience. You may discover performance problems, or produce the timeout alert, when machines with faster processors or connections may not have a problem.

Additional Information
For additional information refer to Inconsistent results loading large amounts of data:

TechNote 16309

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2008 Jun 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Darren

Many thanks for your reply, I have read this technote on the adobe flash support before and I cannot do anything about altering the script because the Multiple Upload feature is a wizard built in and shipped with Adobe Dreamweaver Toolbox and it only supplies the swf file and not the fla. I have no problem uploading a batch of files on the PC, but on the Mac cannot even upload one 15kb image without getting the error message.

Yes the error does give me the opportunity to abort the script so as not to freeze up my computer and when I abort the script I cannot upload my images. If I choose "no" three times this does still not solve the problem and it certainly does not correctly load the data be it one image or 500 images. It simply does not work in Firefox or Safari. I can only assume that the Adobe Toolbox Multiple Upload feature does not work on the mac.

Thanks for you help.

Sarah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2008 Jun 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DARRELL I HAVE A DELL LAPTOP & DELL PC. WHAT I HAVE ON MY LAPTOP I HAVE ON MY PC. I HAVE 3/4 POKER SITES & HAVE NO PROBLEM. I ADDED A NEW POKER SITE ON BOTH COMPUTERS. ON MY PC I HAVE "NO" PROBLEMS. BUT ON MY LAPTOP WHN I GO TO THE POKER TABLE TO PLAY, I FREEZE-UP OR DISCONNECT. AND I STARTED GETTING THIS MESSAGE "ADOBE FLASH PLAYER 9" MOVIE SCRIPT---- U KNOW THE REST & MY COMPUTER RUNS SLOWER THEN U KNOW. ALSO, I DON'T RUN MOVIES/MUSIC ON EITHER COMPUTER. SO WHEN I REC'D THIS MESSAGE I HAD NO IDEA WHAT IT WAS REFERING TOO. THE SOLUTIONS U GIVE I HAVE NO IDA WHAT YR TALKING 'BOUT. I NEED YR "HELP" JAMES

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 28, 2008 Jun 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check the main file on the site in different computers before reporting this here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2008 Jun 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I HAVE TWO COMPUTERS, DELL PC, DELL 9100 LAPTOP BOTH WINDOWS XP/INTERNT EXPLORER ALL PROGRAMS PUT ON PC ARE ON MY LAPTOP. I HAVE 4 POKER SITES ON BOTH & THEY RUN "GREAT' FOR OVER 4 YEARS. ON 6/12 I INSTALLED A NEW POKER WEB SITE ON BOTH COMPUTERS & TH NEW SITE RUNS GREAT ON MY PC BUT NOT ON MY LAPTOP. MY LAPTOP WHEN I GO TO THE NEW POKER SITE & GO TO THE POKER TABLE TO PLAY IT FREEZES & DISCONNECTS, THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN ON MY PC. ON MY LAPTOP WHEN I GO TO "CBS" SPORTS SITE & BRING UP THE SCOREBOARD IS WHEN THE "FLASH PLAYER 9" MESSAGE APPEARS BUT NOT ON MY PC. MY INTERNET CONNECTION IS COX CABLE HIGHEST SPEED THEY HAVE & MY LAPTOP CRAWLS. I NEED "HELP PLEASE" I SPEND 98% OF MY TIME ON MY LAPTOP, 16+ HRS/DAY ITS MY LIFE. THE ONLY THING I'V BEEN TOLD TO TRY: REMOVE "FLASH PLAYR 9"?? THIS WAS TOLD TO ME BY CUST/SERV ON THE PHONE W/ ADOBE. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO. PLEASE "HELP! HELP! HELP! THANK YOU ONLY1VGSJMY (JAMES)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2008 Jul 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE-DARREN TECH
CAN YOU HELP?
I'M IN DEEP TROUBLE & CAN'T USE MY LAPTOP
LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR HELP!

THANKS
JAMES

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2008 Jul 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting that message, but far earlier than anyone else - it occurs while Windows is loading. At that point the only things running are Trend Micro Internet Security and the BBC newsticker (furnished by Skinker). This happens on a Dell Latitude D630 with Windows Vista Business and Flash Player 9.0. It does not happen on my Dell Dimension 8400 with Windows Vista Business and Flash Player 8.0. It only occurs occasionally, and since I rarely use either computer for movies or games, they obviously are not the problem. I don't know if it related or not, but when it happens the computer runs Very Slowly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2008 Jun 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good information

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2008 Jun 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maybe to do with the OS you are running

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2008 Jun 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SORRY-FOR MY LACK OF COMPUTER KNOWLEGE BUT WHAT IS "OS'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2008 Jul 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

an OS is an operating system like windows xp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 07, 2008 Jul 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
The philosophy of the player is wrong, and somewhat arrogant,
to be honest.
It allows content developers, at different skill levels, to foist their wares
and wreak havoc on user computers because of their poor scripts
and/or otherwise badly designed content.

Let's face it - The Flash player is a dog on CPU performance even
when it's working properly. You're only adding insult to injury through
this sort of nonsense.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines