Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Labs Site Enhancements

Aug 7, 2008 6:28 PM

We are collecting requirements for improving the usability, look and feel, and functionality of the Adobe Labs website and would like to know what are the 1 or 2 site enhancements that you would like to see added. Please focus feedback on the features, layout, and organization of the site itself, not the Adobe technologies (Flex, Lightroom, etc.) that are showcased on the site.

Adobe Labs will continue to bring the Adobe community the latest emerging technologies under development; let us know if there is anything that can be done to help you find and get started with technologies that interest you! Please respond below within this thread.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 7, 2008 10:47 PM   in reply to Daniel T
    Honestly, my only real beef with Adobe Labs is that things can be hard to find sometimes. For example, where is Cairngorm? I'm not actually sure of where it actually links to it, so I have to search or use a bookmark to get to the page. I guess a re-structure of how technologies fit together could be useful.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2008 11:39 PM   in reply to Daniel T
    I concur with things being somewhat buried at times. I usually switch directly to either Technologies or Wiki, simply because those two sections have a better overview of what is on the site. But I would very much welcome a comprehensive overview of what is on labs and just as important; what is behind the name when a new technology enters the list. One thing that sometimes could be interesting to see in an overview, is its place on a timeline - is it an old technology being renamed and polished - or is it something entirely new and ground breaking, likely to produce articles for a long time? Apart from that, I think the lab works absolutely brilliantly.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2008 11:39 PM   in reply to Daniel T
    I believe there are some problems with RSS feeds (not updated, getting a lot of items at once from different dates). Improving RSS is the feature I am waiting for the most.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2008 3:59 AM   in reply to Daniel T
    I find the site "confusing" in a navigation senese. Cannot find what I am looking for. Items come advertised in RSS or email but when I get to the lab they are hidden away in a corner. Also seems like things are too many clicks away.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2008 6:32 AM   in reply to Daniel T
    I think it should be redone using Drupal (like the Flex site), so that the various disparate areas (wiki etc) can be fully integrated, and issues with both the navigation and user experience can be solved.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2008 8:38 AM   in reply to Daniel T
    1. RSS feeds should be auto-discoverable on the labs homepage.

2. Showcase is lacking... a lot. Link to the Flex Showcase at least. :) http://labs.adobe.com/showcase/

*3. The "your account" link showed an error for me today, funny.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2008 12:22 PM   in reply to Daniel T
    About forum:

A more userfiendly system would be more than welcome,

- Easyer access to people's profiles, and see there contact options
    - Reading messages in popups? That is really annoying.. And the reply box is like 50 x 100 px. Thanks god safari allows me to resize that.

- Allow attachments.
    - Allow code attachments with syntax highlighting?
    pasting javascript loops with a {i} is messing up the whole code :!
    - Better navigation

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2008 6:11 PM   in reply to Daniel T
    I think the most difficult part to use is the Tehcnologies page.

I recommend making the table sortable and the criteria for release dates, status, etc. can be sorted. Making it in a tabular format would help, IMHO.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2008 6:11 PM   in reply to Daniel T
    I think the most difficult part to use is the Technologies page.

I recommend making the table sortable and the criteria for release dates, status, etc. can be sorted. Making it in a tabular format would help, IMHO.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2008 11:19 PM   in reply to MichaelRH
    Don't mean to reply to myself, but it turns out I can't find Cairngorm on Labs anymore is because it got moved to Adobe OpenSource.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2008 7:44 PM   in reply to Daniel T
    A means to organize by product would be great.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2008 8:34 AM   in reply to Daniel T
    I concur with the to coin Jacob Neilsen's phrase "mystery meat navigation". My other beef is the small text can be hard to read. Perhaps an option to increase the font size based on the user, also better sorting and organizing of the tables. The data seems buried.
    Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2008 8:56 AM   in reply to Daniel T
    Liquid layout PLEASE.
    Fast search that spans the site and all the related sites and resources.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2008 10:00 AM   in reply to subkst
    I would like to be able to have a more direct contact with the team behind the technologies released on labs. For example due to a lack on my behalf regarding the design decisions behind the new Flash 10 text engine I didn’t expect some results I got when testing the engine, I even submitted some bugs that turned out to be as design but departed from how text rendering was designed before.

I think that if such questions could be ask in a adobe-team-to-user forum many benefits would occur. The team get’s know what the end-users are struggling with, less non-bugs will be submitted, better feedback because of the higher level of understanding in the end by the end-users, better final product due to better/deeper testing by end-users, every other end-user can learn from the Q&A etc. For this kind of purpose the current user to user forums are seldom bringing any answers because the technology is new to everyone.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2008 10:23 AM   in reply to Daniel T
    I think it would be nice to have a interface like DevNet from Adobe.com
    I mean the accordion component you have there is very useful for viewing large amounts of data and we can switch between then very easily, we could find the information we want with a few clicks.

You could place an accordion area for "featured technologies" another one for "latest releases", probably another more for the "showcase" and more.

Also when you load the page 2 or 3 sections could open automatically for let us view the most relevant information of products, etc.

Regards.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2008 1:46 PM   in reply to Daniel T
    vilehelm, I think you are totally right here

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2008 5:17 PM   in reply to bvl
    I just think it would be nice if I could get Labs_Camera/DNG Profiles to install on my LR2.1 with ACR 4.6..
    I've followed all the instructions and the installer runs okay but ACR 4.6 instead of Adobe Standard is always displayed.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2008 6:58 AM   in reply to Daniel T
    Site downloads really slowly at least when connecting from Spain and also i think that pop-up system is strange.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2008 1:15 PM   in reply to oldgearhead
    quote:

Originally posted by: oldgearhead
    I just think it would be nice if I could get Labs_Camera/DNG Profiles to install on my LR2.1 with ACR 4.6..
    I've followed all the instructions and the installer runs okay but ACR 4.6 instead of Adobe Standard is always displayed.

The post has nothing to do with the subject of the questions

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Dec 16, 2008 6:05 AM   in reply to Daniel T
    Is there a problem with the labs RSS feeds recently? I haven't seen any new items in bloglines for over a week but obviously the blog is being updated...problem with bloglines? All my other feeds seem to be working fine.

Dan | http://www.virginholidayscruises.co.uk/

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2008 8:48 AM   in reply to Daniel T
    Many thanks Daniel...my reader seems to have caught up with the feed now so all good!

Dan | http://www.virginholidayscruises.co.uk/

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points