• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The future of Flash Remoting?

New Here ,
May 01, 2007 May 01, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are about to embark on a major, long term project which requires Flash/Database connectivity and Flash Remoting seemed the perfect way to go. Having just acquired Flash CS3, I encountered some difficulty since there is no Remoting Components package available for CS3. I did however find this link and manage to get my AS2.0 code to run:

http://blog.vixiom.com/2007/04/17/actionscript-20-flash-remoting-with-flash-cs3

This makes me worried about the future of Flash Remoting - I don't want to purchase and then be locked into a technology that gets shelved or overlooked by Adobe. I am aware of the AMFPHP toolkit but this since we are going with .NET this is not appropriate. Does anyone else have the same fears or does anyone at Adobe have any information on what the future of Flash Remoting will be?

Thanks guys

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 07, 2007 May 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have the same concerns on this topic with every new release. We currently
have a large application that is built using Adobe flash remoting and .net in
AS2.0. You may want to look into WebOrb. These guys have been arround since
remoting became available. Their remoting product has some nice features that
Adobe Remoting does not. For example more security settings. They also continue
to update their WebOrb product as well as offer the ability to use remoting
with other technologies such as Ajax, and Flex to name a few. Nothing compares
to passing objects and I hope to see Adobe continue to support Flash Remoting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2007 May 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jed, I will have a look into that today. is this something you have used alongside Flash Remoting, and if so, how does it compare in your opinion? Do you think that if Adobe continue to push Flex and Apollo in the future then Flash Remoting will be overlooked?

thanks

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have the same concerns on this topic with every new release. We currently have a large application that is built using Adobe flash remoting and .net in AS2.0. You may want to look into WebOrb. These guys have been arround since remoting became available. Their remoting product has some nice features that Adobe Remoting does not. For example more security settings. They also continue to update their WebOrb product as well as offer the ability to use remoting with other technologies such as Ajax, and Flex to name a few. Nothing compares to passing objects and I hope to see Adobe continue to support Flash Remoting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2007 May 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some word from Adobe about Flash Remoting components for CS3 would be good.

Then I might actually be able to move to CS3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2007 May 09, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeeep are you using ActionScript 2.0 or 3.0? If it's 2.0 then check the link in my first post in this thread. If it's ActionScript 3.0, then you use NetConnection instead using the 'call' method. I got ActionScript 3.0 Cookbook to help me on that one.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2007 Nov 04, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I've been using RemoteObject to handle my remoting in Flex. I'm completely confused however when it comes to straight Flash CS3 (AS 3). I understand that the responder object handles my results from a method call. But how do I get access to the data within? I'm trying result.label, result[0].label...nothing.

Example:

private function onResult(result:Object):void
{
Alert.show("Label is "+result[0].label);

Thanks.

Novian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2007 Nov 04, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:

I figured it out. One of the blogs on AMFPHP mentioned "serverInfo" and "initialData". I was able to use those to access the data in my object e.g. result.serverInfo.initialData

Is it me or is there VERY little documentation with respect to AS 3 and remoting outside of Flex 2?

Thanks for your leads.

Novian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2007 May 09, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SySnootles, thanks. What about the NetConnection Debugger? I know there's alternatives to it for PC, but not for Mac.

I'm currently using Flash 8 + AS 2.0 and so have no problems with remoting of course. But I'm *looking* to move to CS3 + AS 3.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 16, 2007 May 16, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have come up with some documentation on migrating the remoting components etc.. into Flash CS3. I have both AS2 and AS3 remoting setup in Flash CS3 and working. We went through the same process when migrating from MX to 8. I will try to get that posted this week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2007 May 16, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That will be great Jed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 27, 2007 May 27, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry it took me a few days to get this up but here you go.

ActionScript 2.0 Remoting Coponents and Debugger in Flash CS3.

1. Copy Remoting and RPC Folders from your Documents and settings location TO FLASH CS3 LOCATION.

C:\Documents and Settings\YOURUSERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash 8\en\Configuration\Classes\mx
to
C:\Documents and Settings\YOURUSERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe\Flash CS3\en\Configuration\Classes\mx

2.Copy Remoting.Fla From.

C:\Documents and Settings\YOURUSERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash 8\en\Configuration\Libraries
To
C:\Documents and Settings\YOURUSERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe\Flash CS3\en\Configuration\Libraries

3. Copy NetConnection Debugger.swf and Service Browser.swf from.

C:\Documents and Settings\YOURUSERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash 8\en\Configuration\WindowSWF
To
C:\Documents and Settings\YOURUSERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe\Flash CS3\en\Configuration\WindowSWF

4. Copy NetConnection Debugger.swf and Service Browser.swf from or WindowSWF folder.

C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Flash 8\en\First Run\WindowSWF
To
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flash CS3\en\First Run\WindowSWF

5. Copy the Libraries Folder.

C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Flash 8\en\First Run
to
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flash CS3\en\First Run

6. Copy Remoting and RPC Folders from your Program Files location TO FLASH CS3 LOCATION.

C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Flash 8\en\First Run\Classes\mx
To
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flash CS3\en\First Run\Classes\mx

7. Copy the RemotingConnector.swc from.

C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Flash 8\en\First Run\Components\Data Components
to
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flash CS3\en\Configuration\Components\Data

This will allow you to use the Remoting component in Flash cs3 just as you did in Flash 8. You will still need to use them in Action Script 2.0 Files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2007 Jun 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you put all those files in a zipped file? It doesn't have to contain the file structure but just the files since I don't have Flash 8 handy (I have it but uninstalled) so it would be impossible for me to have Flash Remoting back. I thank you very much for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2007 Jun 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for double post!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 28, 2007 Jun 28, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for that jedders.
for anyone running vista, interpret
C:\Documents and Settings\YOURUSERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\...
as:
C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\...

Also I found i needed to copy DataRange.as, PageableData.as and PageableList.as files from
C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Macromedia\Flash 8\en\Configuration\Classes\mx\data
to:
C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Adobe\Flash CS3\en\Configuration\Classes\mx\data

perhaps to use the RecordSet data type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 17, 2008 Dec 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jedders
do you Know by any change how to do this in cs4, I been playing around but I can't figure out.
thank you in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 16, 2007 Jun 16, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jedders, all works and very importantly past projects compile properly now in CS3. It means I can now use my updated program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2007 Jun 21, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI!

I'm trying to set up remoting components for Flash CS3 on Mac OS X but since I dont have Flash 8 I cannot install the components at all.
How could I get AS2 remoting components and debugger for Flash CS3?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2007 Jun 21, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Can anyone upload the ZIP file of these components? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2007 Jul 04, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a ZIP archive for Mac users with all files needed to make remoting works in Flash CS3 like in Flash 8 (it works for me).
It comes with Classes, Remoting.fla and NetConnection Debugger.swf.
Simply copy files in your /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Flash CS3/Configuration folder.

Hope it helps.

http://www.free-styler.com/remoting/Remoting_FlashCS3.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2007 Dec 31, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: Shinjuka
Here's a ZIP archive for Mac users with all files needed to make remoting works in Flash CS3 like in Flash 8 (it works for me).
It comes with Classes, Remoting.fla and NetConnection Debugger.swf.
Simply copy files in your /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Flash CS3/Configuration folder.

Hope it helps.

http://www.free-styler.com/remoting/Remoting_FlashCS3.zip

Hi Shinjuka,

Is there any way that you can re-post this link. I am on a mac and no longer have access to the flash 8 remoting files to try this fix.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2008 Jan 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ZIP archive can be found here : http://www.hellgear.net/shared/Remoting_FlashCS3.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 04, 2008 Jun 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shinjuka,

Could you possibly repost a link to the zip archive for Mac OS X for flash remoting on CS3?

thanks,
Loc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2007 Jul 04, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot shinjuka.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines