Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

unable to detect the font even though it is installed in our computers

May 7, 2012 11:06 PM

We have purchased the license of Acrobat and Linotype Zaphino font. However, when we try to edit any pdf** files using “Adobe Acrobat X-pro”, it is unable to detect the font even though it is installed in our computers. The pop up says "All or part of the selection has no available system font. You cannot add or delete text using the currently selected font”

** Pdf files that we are trying to make changes in were created by Quark Xpress software.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 20, 2013 3:20 AM   in reply to Shoumic123

We have exactly the same problem.

Our example is that i cannot edit any Ariel Narrow Bold font in a pdf generated on this machine which seems odd!

I have read on here that some fonts are not the same even though they may be named the same.

So in this instance my question would be if the system font such as ariel were replaced with a later version, would this then not create further potential problems. I understand the old font would need to be removed then the new added. This to me seems as though it may create a whole new set of problems. I am also aware i can change the font before editing but this is lengthy and takes too much time if you have a lot of edits to run through.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 7:50 AM   in reply to mr_smith126
    1. Download a Utility called FontNuke (if its available for PC).
    2. quit out of acrobat
    3. run Font Nuke in adminstrator mode.
    4. and restart computer.
    5. Now open Acroabt and the document see if the font is now available.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 9:29 AM   in reply to Phillip Jones

Can't find an active link for a windows version of 'FontNuke' unfortunately..

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 10:36 AM   in reply to mr_smith126

The problem may be one of two issues: 1. The font you have on your system may not be identical to the font used, even if the name is the same; 2. The font may not be licensed for embedding.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 10:45 AM   in reply to Bill@VT

OK, so how can I go about testing/resolving those two possible issues..?

Font in question is the Arial family true type.

PDF's are generated on this machine running XP.

PDFs are produced by printing to acrobat pro7 from a third party piece of software which generates quotes for the kitchen industry.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 11:51 AM   in reply to mr_smith126

Do you get exactly the same message: All or part of the selection has no available system font. You cannot add or delete text using the currently selected font”

Does it show up as Arial Narrow in the edit window?

Are you able to edit any text made with this software?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 10:12 PM   in reply to Test Screen Name

Also, use ctrl-D > font tab to see what fonts are being used in the PDF and what ones are embedded.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 4:56 AM   in reply to Test Screen Name

Yes same message is shown each time.

When you select and edit it does show up as Arial Narrow in the edit window.

Yes I can edit some of the other text, just not Arial narrow and Arial Narrow Bold.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 4:59 AM   in reply to Bill@VT

adobe-fonts.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 6:31 AM   in reply to mr_smith126

See if there is an equevelent Basically what it does removes all font cache files for The system, Main and Users, and all Office and Acrobat Font caches.

You would then restart the system  and force everything to rebuild font caches.

If nothing else with Acrobat closed locate Acrobat's Font cahe file with acrobat closed and throw away then have Acrobat open and rebuild it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 8:42 AM   in reply to Phillip Jones

For editing, it is often necessary to embed the whole font, not a subset. If it is a subset, the font has to be on your system and apparently that particular font is not on your system. I suspect the font you have on your system and that used in the PDF are not the same, even though they may have the same name.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points