Skip navigation
robfinlay
Currently Being Moderated

Flash CS4 classic tween/embedded animation problem

May 8, 2012 8:34 AM

Hi there,

I'm working on a project that requires me to use classic tweens, and I'm having an issue using the embedded animations stored inside the symbols for the characters.

Let's say I set up a really simple animation with three keyframes.  On the first frame I pose the character, and in the properties panel, under looping, I choose 'play single frame' and select a mouth shape embedded on frame 15, Then at frame 12, I pose the character again, and this time set the mouth shape to 'play single frame' and select the 16th frame for the mouth shape.  Then I duplicate frame 1 at frame 24 for my third keyframe.  So far so good.

As soon as I apply a classic tween, however, frame 12 will no longer display the mouth shape stored at frame 16, but will apply the attributes from the first frame of the animation and use the mouth shape embedded at frame 15.  What's more, if I then remove the tween, it still won't let me change either the looping options (from single frame to play once, for example) or the embedded frame being displayed.  So essentially I'm stuck displaying the embedded frame I set on the first frame, and can't change it.  The only way around this seems to be actually creating individual keyframes without applying a tween and trying to match the movement of that shape to the rest of the animation on a frame-by-frame basis.

If anyone knows how to get around this, I'd love to hear it (and if this didn't make any sense at all, please let me know).  Thanks!

Rob

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 8, 2012 10:20 AM   in reply to robfinlay

Not that your explaination wasn't a little confusing, I think I follow you. And that's how classic tweens work.

Modern tweens add keyframes for an objects 'properties'. Things you find in the properties panel amongst other things. Classic Tweens do not. They operate on animating basic transform-esque properties (or shape morphing for graphics). Some of the properties you desire to be tweened probably aren't part of what a Classic Tween supports.

Classic Tweens came in 2 varieties as well. One was a graphic tween that would morph whatever was on that layer between keyframes (if it was possible or practical). Perhaps that is what you want for something like mouth movement.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points