Skip navigation
OHYEAHDANIEL
Currently Being Moderated

Send data merge directly to printer.

May 8, 2012 8:47 AM

Tags: #printing #printer #direct #data_merge

This ? has to have been asked before, sorry I did not find in multiple searches.

Is there a way to send a data merge directly to a printer?

I have a data merged postcard with variable images on front and address info. on back for 20,000 records.

Creating merged doc. or exporting pdf will produce a 40,000 page document if it actually succeeds.

Is it possible?  Any help is much appreciated!

PS I'm on CS5

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 8, 2012 8:52 AM   in reply to OHYEAHDANIEL

Nope. That's the way Data Merge works. It's primitive, but it's free. A real in-the-printstream solution is certainly a possibility for many commercial printers, but such modules are not inexpensive.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 9:18 AM   in reply to OHYEAHDANIEL

If your printer is capable of ripping PDF instead of postscript, and you can mount a shared hot folder from the printer, then yes you could export to PDF on merge directly to printer.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 9:22 AM   in reply to OHYEAHDANIEL

OHYEAHDANIEL wrote:

People pay big bucks for the kind of service you provide.

Not to me.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 9:44 AM   in reply to OHYEAHDANIEL

On the Indesign side, when you are ready to merge, from the flyout select export to PDF. This method creates just a PDF not an intermediate Indesign doc. And direct the PDF to a printer hot folder.

As for your DFE, I can not direct you specifically with either an EFI or Creo DFE (and the many versions) that drive the Xerox 1000. However, both solutions will have the ability to share a folder, and once a PDF is copied to folder, you will need to select PDF to process, and the process might already be setup as an automatic function.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points