Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

trouble debugging with Flash Pro CS6

May 8, 2012 12:21 PM

I have a project I am working on that was created in CS5.5 targeting iOS. The SWF has a lot of content, but no code and the .AS file has all the code except for a few utility functions. I just updated to CS6 and now debugging no longer works as expected. When I run the app in Debug - whether using the mobile or desktop Air debugger environments, it fails to recognize the .AS file as having executable code in it. In CS5.5, when I did this, the AS file would open and I could set and clear breakpoints. Now, if I go to the file and try to toggle a breakpoint, it shows "No exectuable code..." no matter where I set the breakpoint. The app is running fine, but it acts like there is no link between the source file and the app.

The app builds and runs fine - I just can't debug it. Help!

I am sure this is some stupid little thing I haven't done, but since I changed nothing between CS5.5 and CS6, I have no idea where to look.

Scott

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 9, 2012 11:52 PM   in reply to scober99

Hi Scott,

I would like to have a look at your project file for getting more information about the problem. Is it possible for you to share the .fla and .as files?

Thanks!

Mohan

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 7:46 AM   in reply to scober99

Are you putting a breakpoint on something that isn't code, like a empty line, a brace, etc? Try altering that to be on a line that has code on it. (I know we should be able to set breakpoints anywhere, but I'm curious).

e.g.

for (var i:int = 0; i < 100; i++)  // set a breakpoint here

{ // do not set a breakpoint here

// do not set a breakpoint here

trace(i); // set a breakpoint here

} // do not set a breakpoint here

I'm wondering if it considers empty lines, braces and other things to be invalid for a breakpoint location.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 1:51 AM   in reply to scober99

You could share the files using dropbox public link ?

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 3:05 AM   in reply to aviPro

same bug here

any news on this?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 10:53 PM   in reply to saariko

This is shamefully distasteful. Adobe should concentrate more on product Q/A than its cloud releases. Debug in Flash CS6 fully broken.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2013 6:50 AM   in reply to Santanu Karar

What version update of CS6 are you using? Are you sure it's the latest update? Mine is working just fine. I'm using version:

flashcs6.jpg

I have no issue re-doing what I mentioned above over a year ago:

cs6debug.jpg

You are using the debug option to test correct? (Debug->Debug Movie->Debug or CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2013 9:20 PM   in reply to sinious

I've downloaded a fresh trial copy from Cloud of Flash CS6 (version.12.0.0.481). I confirm Flash CS5 debugging is working fine but not of CS6 - I have no idea why its not working at all with this newly released version. Breakpoint never occurs nor the project debugs at all.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 7:20 AM   in reply to Santanu Karar

You're running 12.0.0.x and I'm running 12.0.2.x, are you sure it's up to date? My point release is higher. Are you running Windows?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 9:01 PM   in reply to sinious

Yes, I noticed that, and I tried to update it to the most latest too. But troublesome - my internet or network here - I couldn't manage to complete the update process even, so I moved to MacOS installation of Flash CS6. With my MacOS its running properly as expected (debugging has no problem) - I'm not using Windows' one anymore, I moved to MacOS.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2013 7:01 AM   in reply to Santanu Karar

If you run the updater as Administrator after a fresh boot it should work (no files locked im RAM).

Either way glad you're back to progress. Good luck!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points