• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS6 AI : set scroll wheel zoom directions

New Here ,
May 09, 2012 May 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I use OSX Lion with the default reverse/inverted scrolling. In AI CS5 and PS CS6 I'm used to zooming by holding the opt/alt key while scrolling. Just like in these apps, it's expected when I move my scroll wheel up then the artboard will zoom out, and when I move I scroll down the artboard zooms in.

In Illustrator CS6 , this behaviour is flipped and I can't find any way to set/reverse it. Anyone know? This is killing me.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! This is also happening to me using Illustrator cs6 - and...it's killing me, too! No response from Adobe? This is a huge problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stupid Apple and that reversal.

I feel your pain, but personally hate the inverted gestures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just went into preferences and switched it to what it was before and just blocked all the other gesture stuff. To many things happening accidentially.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you get used to inverted, I actually now really prefer it. But for sure their's a transition period. What kills me about the zoom direction is that it was actually working properly in cs5..

If you guys switch to inverted , do you get the same behavior or is it a bug on my end?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2012 May 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I'm having the very same problem. I'd like to use new Illustrator zoom in the samy way how it worked in CS5 version 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nuts. Back to cs5 for me

Do you know how we can file a bug report or do adobe people actually read the forums?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 14, 2012 May 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2012 May 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Submitted !

The more of us the better. The whole recent cs5 security patching issue

shows that adobe will fix things if enough people complain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2012 May 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK...link works now.... https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Message was edited by: christopherjacobs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2012 Jun 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love them...because they are finally right...they have always been inverted if you really think about it...Apple finally did it right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2012 Jun 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah it's weird , It took me a week to totally get used to inverted scrolling even though I had been using normal for years . But it seems like it's way harder to go the other way around

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 14, 2012 May 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can Adobe be ignoring this??  It's almost funny, really. But not funny.... And by the way...for those that think the "inverted" Lion way is crap...it's actually the correct way to do it...as it's been wrong all these years. It's way better - feels more intuitive...and I would never go back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 03, 2012 Sep 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you say that the Lion & the Mountain Lion is the correct way to do it, why doesn't the same apply to Illustrator CS6? In Illustrator, if you look into the Zoom popup menu at the bottom left of the window, you will find that the zoom values increase as you go up - i.e., 3.13% is at the bottom and at the top you have 6400%. This means that while going up, you are zooming into the document. So I don't understand what's wrong if you are zooming into the document while holding down Opt key and scrolling up. That looks like the correct thing to do.

This issue did not exist in 10.6.8 - all apps behaved the same then. So if you are fine with 10.6.8's method of scrolling & navigating, I would suggest you simply uncheck the System Preferences option "Move content in the direction of finger movement when scrolling or navigating" in 10.7.4 and "Scroll direction : natural" in 10.8.1. If  you do that, you will get similar behavior across AICS6, IDCS6 & PSCS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2012 Sep 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could revert to non natural scrolling in all apps , but if you prefer

it , as I do. Then it's retarded That the only solution to deal this bug

that should of been fixed ages ago is to change your os settings.

There's no excuse for that. I'm sticking with cs 5 for now and I definitely

won't be preordering any adobe software in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2012 Sep 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely! I've spoken with senior engineers on the Illustrator team...and they tell me...it's in the bug list. That's it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2012 Sep 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Christopher, that's really great news! (hoping it's not too far down

..)

Thanks for keeping us informed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2012 Oct 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know? I'm sick to my stomach with the realization that Adobe and Mircosoft will NOT support the reverse scroll... Adobe came out with an update for Illustrator CS6 (the last one) - and it seemed to do the trick...but now I realize that it didn't. I was in Illustrator CS5...dug. I think we all have to come to the realization that ...we should have never switched.

Many moons ago, I learned to fly helicopters...and the French heli's reverse the direction of their rotor blades...which means I have to reverse the pedals to keep it steady. If you go back to an American heli...your mind has to adapt...and if you do the wrong thing...dead. My point is...Apple is the ONLY one who's doing this reverse scroll thing...nobody else. And no matter how much sense it makes, and no matter how AWESOME it is....if we were all more realistic...we'd never have adopted it.

I go back and forth between my PC and Mac all the time...using CS6 - and...wow...my mind cannot adapt between the two, so I install this silly software called Hotkeys that allows me to tweak the registry and reverse the (you guessed it!) scroll direction - which makes it worse...then I develop on Ubuntu...and am forced to edit some Unix files to reverse the scroll on that! ...but, when I go to use another PC at some company I'm working with......it's back to the old way.

Here me, for I speak the truth......I think we should all realize that the old way is THE way. Apple did this on their own...and us fan-boys (and girls) out there should have been more pragmatic to not follow them, for the simple fact that nobody else will!

Message was edited by: christopherjacobs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2012 Nov 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK...so I've emailed the engineers on the Illustrator team...corosponded with the Senior Visual Designer/Usability at Adobe about this...over the last 6 months, I've emailed them and asked when they thought this would be fixed. I've had responses from the senior engineers...and others on this topic. The verdict? Adobe has no plans to fix this problem. Sorry folks. The last email I got was from Adobe asking me to please not email them about this topic. I guess I'm really the only one to bring this up to Adobe directly...and they don't like it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2012 Nov 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is what it is, i hated it on Lion in the beginning but now actually enjoy it.

I dont think there is a RIGHT way and wrong way, these are just preferences, just as opinions are just opinions.

in my OPINION, human interaction with our computer friends should be adaptable, at least minimally.

Not everyone is using mice, some use trackballs, others tablets, etc etc...

Windows, Mac, Ubuntu, all of them should simply accept what game makers accepted LOOONG ago and add a simple toggle to invert x/y axis....

It cant be that hard...

voila problem solved.

Its like they are all school kids constantly trying to fight over the ball and who told who so...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 14, 2012 Nov 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On 10.7.4, in System Preferences simply Uncheck the "Move content in the direction of finger movement when scrolling or navigating".

On 10.8.2, in System Preferences simply Uncheck the "Scroll direction : natural"

I mean, how difficult is that?

This will make Illustrator CS6, InDesign CS6 and Photoshop CS6 behave the same when you Opt-Scroll-Up OR Opt-Scroll-Down. That is,

Zoom-in on Opt-Scroll-Up

and

Zoom-out on Opt-Scroll-Down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2012 Nov 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a nice fix and all, but some of us actually like the "natural" scroll direction.

My point was that the toggle should exist solely within the OS's preference panel and ALL apps should simply respect it.

It would be much simpler on everyone and more intuitive for the user.

And that is what design is all about in the end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2012 May 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is even more ridculous is that in Photoshop and inDesign CS6, it works correctly (obeying my scroll direction preference in System Preferences>Mouse).  Therefore, anyone who regularly toggles between the various Adobe programs will be giving their little scrollin' finger quite a workout.

I am so frustrated about this that I was barely able to finish my PopTart this morning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2012 May 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I don't think it's a unique workflow to go between diff cs apps ,

which makes this so much more annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines