Skip navigation
kch70n
Currently Being Moderated

Can't rename folder

May 9, 2012 10:32 AM

Tags: #problem #cs5 #adobe #bridge #files #pc #5.5 #folder #rename

Hi, I have cs5.5 I believe, and for some reason I cant rename anything in bridge. I am using windows 7.

It was ok but I'm guessing I had an adobe update an things have changed.

The look of the folders have changed for a start, they are simply a folder with the name written through it instead of being typed underneath.

I f2 won't work, and right click doesn't have a rename option anymore.

Please help, it's slowly driving me insane.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 9, 2012 10:54 AM   in reply to kch70n

Try clearing you cache.  If that does not work reset your preferences by holding down Crtl or Cmd Key while starting bridge.  You should get a reset window with 3 options.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    May 9, 2012 12:35 PM   in reply to kch70n

It was ok but I'm guessing I had an adobe update an things have changed

It is a simple problem, you probly accidentaly hit the shortcut cmd (ctr) + T and now your thumbnail info has gone.

Hit it again or onder the menu view put again acheckmark in front of the 'show thumbnail info' ans you are OK again

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2012 10:39 PM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

I see this is an older problem that is what I'm now seeing.  None of the solutions does anything.  I have bridge cs6 on a mac.  I'm sure I accidnetly hit a shortcut but have not figured how to undo this situation.   I have no idea what shortcut I hit.  The (cmd) + T removes the folder names.  The folders have the folder names inside dark gray rectangles and I can't rename any folders.  Makes it hard to create a new folder and rename it.  It is also driving me crazy.  Any help would be appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Nov 19, 2012 5:15 AM   in reply to Cupertino, Bangert

The (cmd) + T removes the folder names.  The folders have the folder names inside dark gray rectangles and I can't rename any folders.

It is not removing them, it only sets it to not show (or the correct menu name for it is 'show thumbnail only'). Hit cmd+T again and all the folder names appear and can be changed.

Also check the menu view where this menu is listed and can be clicked without the need of the shortcut

I agree it is a pointless and mostly useless shortcut and you are not the only one that hits it accidentally. Bridge badly needs a customizable shortcut pref like Photoshop has.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 4:58 PM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

Thanks for the reply!  Unfortunately issuing the cmd + T  just toggles the names from being visible to not showing.  When the names are displayed there is no right click menu option for renaming.  I just noticed something.  When the labels are not being shown the right click mouse menu now shows rename as an option.  Kind of weird since the current name is not displayed.  I don't know if this helps but I'm attaching a screen shot of what the labels look like.   I don't think they looked like this before but then again I can't be sure since I've been trying to figure this out of a week.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Nov 20, 2012 1:24 PM   in reply to Cupertino, Bangert

I don't know if this helps but I'm attaching a screen shot of what the labels look like.

Your screenshot is not attached but I think you should first check if the files are not locked and/or if you have read and write (administrator) privileges for the disk and folder the files are placed in. ( select the folder and use cmd + i or right mouse click menu 'Get Info', at the bottom of this info window shows your read and write permissions.

If that is all OK try a reset of the Bridge preferences. Quit Bridge, restart Bridge holding down option key and choose reset preferences. See if it works now and if so set the prefs again to your custom wishes because resetting means also again at factory settings.

Personally I never use the Right Mouse click menu for renaming, mostly I use the Batch rename option (shift + Cmd = R) for multiple selected files or the function key F2 to rename single files and then with tab to get to the next

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 11:31 PM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

Are you looking at my email reply?  I just looked at what I sent and the attached screen shot is showing in the body of the email which it always doe on my mac.  I'm the sys admin and as far as I know no permissions have been changed.  I just looked at the permissions from the top of my directory system to the directories in question that are currently showing on bridge.  Everything is read/write.  I finally had to do the preference reset.  Pretty blunt instrument but it did do the trick.  The folder labels are now what I remember (labels below folders rather than inside folders).  I can't imagine what that mode I was in could be used for.  I'd have to classify it as a bug.  Too bad I don't know how I got in it.

Thanks for saving my sanity.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 11:42 PM   in reply to Cupertino, Bangert

You cannot upload or attach files through email.

The standard way of accessing the forums is through a webrowser and the forum web interface.

Anything you attach to an email disappears into cyberspace and is seen by absolutely no one but you.  When the forum re-braodcasts your email to other forum users all attachments have been stripped already.

You need to log in to the forum with your web browser and use the little camera icon in the tool bar of the Reply Editor to upload and embed an image in your post.

Preferences get corrupted incredibly often in Bridge, and nuking them is the only remedy. 

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 11:45 PM   in reply to Cupertino, Bangert

Cupertino, Bangert wrote:

... can't imagine what that mode I was in could be used for.  I'd have to classify it as a bug.  Too bad I don't know how I got in it.

No, not a bug at all.  Just one of the view options.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points