Skip navigation
rglindmeier
Currently Being Moderated

Can't access pdf files stored on SD card

May 9, 2012 7:33 PM

I have a new Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, running Android 4.0.3.  Adobe reader 10.2 will not acknowledge or access pdf files stored on the micro SD card.  It will read pdf files stored in the device's internal memory just fine.  Other types of files (jpg, mp3) stored on the SD card are read just fine from other applications.  Pdf files stored on the micro SD card can be read just fine using the Polaris Office application.  It seems to be an issue related soley to the Acrobat reader app on my tablet.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the application with no change in behavior.  I know it's supposed to work because I use Reader 10.2 on my HTC android phone, running Android 2.3.4, and it reads files from the SD card just fine.

One odd thing I noted is that when I read an online turtorial on this app, it showed the menu had an "Open" item.  My menu for Reader 10.2 doesn't have an open function.  The choices are "About Adobe Reader", "Getting Started" and "Clear Recent Documents".  I called Samsung support, and they felt it was an Adobe issue, possibly how 10.2 works inside of Ice Cream Sandwich, so they bounced me to Adobe.  Any thoughts?

Russ

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 9, 2012 7:49 PM   in reply to rglindmeier

If you are seeing these menu items, then you are in the "Recent Documents" tab. If you look at the top of this tab, there is an icon and the word "Documents". If you tap on that, you will be in the "Documents" view which should show you the contents of the SD card. Here, the menu will only show "About Adobe Reader". Can you please confirm that you've left the "Recent Documents" list and entered "Documents"?

We've had several users indicate to us that the "Documents" looks more like a label than a navigable item, so perhaps this is part of the confusion?

Thanks for your feedback!

Pat

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 8:13 PM   in reply to rglindmeier

The screenshot was stripped. I don't think it comes through if you respond via email. You can attach it in the web form response, or you can mail it to adobereader-android@adobe.com along with a link to this thread. One other thought: Are you sure you can see the contents of the SD card in other apps? We've seen problems with cards that were corrupt, though it's certainly possible there is an issue in the app too. Thanks for your help in tracking it down.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 10:12 PM   in reply to rglindmeier

Thanks for the screenshot. I'm asking a few other people if they have better ideas =)

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 11:30 PM   in reply to rglindmeier

Hi,

Thanks for the screenshot.  Could you also attach a screenshot of the 'Files' application that does list the PDF files stored on the SD card?

Regards,

-Gaurav

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 9:20 AM   in reply to rglindmeier

I think Gaurav is hoping to see a screenshot on the device of the SD card in another app. This will show for sure that the device has mounted the SD card and that it's visible to other apps. I've used this app for file browsing:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop &feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5lc3Ryb25ncy5hbmRyb2lk LnBvcCJd

Pat

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 9:24 AM   in reply to rglindmeier

To answer your question about ICS, I know we've tested this on ICS (I've used it on the Motorola Xoom with ICS). It is possible that it's something specific to the device/oem ICS skin, but most of the time we see problems like this it turns out to be an unmounted SD card.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 10:11 PM   in reply to rglindmeier

Hello Russ,

We really appreciate you taking time to share all these details, and yes I had earlier asked for the 'My Files' app (sorry about callign it just 'Files' which may have led to the confusion!).

This looks like a bug in Adobe Reader and we would be investigating the issue and trying to address it soon.

Thanks again!

Gaurav

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 6:33 AM   in reply to rglindmeier

I'll second Gaurav's thanks for the help!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2012 10:29 PM   in reply to rglindmeier

I had the same problem on NEXUS7.  Played around for a while and noticed a little triangle under the word DOCUMENTS.  If I tap just right I get a popup asking if I want ALL PDF or Folder View.   All PDF is a blank page, Folder View lists the PDF's on my SD card and I can also change the folder I want to look in.  Hope this works for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2012 10:27 AM   in reply to rglindmeier

Rrr. I have a new Nexus 7 (16GB) and have put all my PDFs into a folder "PDFs" under the file system root. If I use My Files to navigate to this folder and a file therein, double tapping it offers me the option of opening it with Adobe Reader, which it then duly does.

But if I open the Adobe Reader directly and try to see the PDFs folder, I can't seem to navigate to it.

• Adobe Reader v10.3.1 -- up to date as far as I can tell (2012-10-04)
    • Documents view, either All PDFs or Folder View -- both quite empty.
    • No external SD card -- this is the internal SD (which I believe is all that the Nexus 7 has!)

Would dearly love to use Adobe Reader and have it work correctly. I bought the Nexus primarily to read PDF files!

cbm

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2012 8:36 AM   in reply to mmChuck

I am using a free app from the Google Play store call PDF Lock.  This app searches for and then lists all PDFs on my NEXUS7.  When I pick a PDF it then gives me a choice of readers I want to use, Adobe is one of them since it is installed.

It has the added advantage of being able to encrypt a pdf if you want to secure the information in it.  Just be sure to pick the password you want and remember it.  There is no way to update or retrieve it at present.  I guess you would have to uninstall and reinstall but I don't know if you could open files encrypted under the previous installation.

Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points