Skip navigation
JJMack 5,977 posts
Jan 9, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS6 Action Player Bug Make Adjustment Layer Applied to all to be Clipped

May 15, 2012 2:29 PM

On Oct.  11, 2010 I received the following from Adobe Support

______________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Hi John,

This is to inform you that  we have been able to reproduce the same {Photoshop Actions} behavior at our end.

So we have logged this issue with the Product Team and Engineering Team as Bug # 2737069. Adobe’s Engineering Team will look into this issue, and if in the future a resolution or fix is possible, it will be available from the Adobe Systems product update web site: http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/.

You may also log this issue directly with our product teams, through the following Feature Request/Bug Form: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&samcap=EW QQL&promoid=EWQQL

I am closing case # 181675168, if you have any new information, please contact Adobe Technical Support referencing the case number so that we may re-open the support incident.

Thank you for choosing Adobe.

Thanks and Regards,

Rajdeep Kaur

Technical Support Consultant (Tier 2)

ADOBE Systems

______________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________

I reopened the case for there was no fix  Adobe contacted me and told me it would be fixed is some future release of Photoshop and once again case # 181675168 was closed over my objection.

I was vocal about Adobe poor excuse for support in forums.   I then was contacted by Jeff Tranberry of Adobe he was asked to  contact me by John Nack to see if he could change me.  We exchanged some e-mails ending with Jeff writing unfortunately, you issues has been deemed low impact and has been deferred.

May 7, 2012  I called Adobe to find out if this bug was fixed in Photoshop for I did not want to buy CS6 if the Bug was not fixed. After about an hour on the phone talking to many Adobe employees including Adobe Support  referenced case # 181675168 log as Bug # 2737069. I was told the bug was not in CS6.  So I ordered CS6.   FedX dropped off Today I installed it only to find the bug introduced is CS4 reported in CS5 is still in CS6.  

Adobe when will you fix this bug # 2737069????

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 10, 2012 4:10 PM   in reply to JJMack

Please refresh my memory...  What bug was this?  The one where the current setting of the layer clipping button is used instead of what's stored in an action?

I kind of recall testing something for you and reporting back here on the forum...  Have you found that post?  Did I miss something?

And not to put too fine a point on it, but this isn't so much a "support" issue as an "engineering management" issue the way I see it.  Any manager driving a project through a major release without fixing ALL of the outstanding bugs isn't doing a very good job.  Sorry if this steps on toes, but I run a software company (okay, a smaller one than Adobe) and I sure as hell wouldn't allow a customer-reported implementation bug to remain open across multiple version releases!

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 10, 2012 3:57 PM   in reply to JJMack

May 7, 2012  I called Adobe to find out if this bug was fixed in Photoshop for I did not want to buy CS6 if the Bug was not fixed. After about an hour on the phone talking to many Adobe employees including Adobe Support  referenced case # 181675168 log as Bug # 2737069. I was told the bug was not in CS6.  So I ordered CS6. 

Trial version? I would think in the hour you were on the phone with Adobe Support you could have downloaded and installed CS6 Trial to see for yourself if this bug was fixed.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 10, 2012 5:36 PM   in reply to JJMack

JJMack wrote:

It is not posible to install a Photoshop CS6 Standard trial you need to enter a serial number have the install process install CS6 Standard version.  I also called call Adobe about that problem with the trial version.

As I understand it the download always operates as Extended during the trial period, but if you enter a Standard version serial number the Extended features just go away.  Am I missing something subtle here to where this can't work with Photoshop CS6? 

Didn't they describe that behavior when you asked them about trialing the Standard edition?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 8:30 PM   in reply to JJMack

The bug is there in the cs6 extended version as well and i agree it should be fixed.

Anyway i know this won't fix the bug and maybe you already thought of it, but a script like this seems to work even when the Clip to Layer is checked in the adjustments panel.

Levels adjustment layer:

// =======================================================

var id3 = charIDToTypeID( "Mk  " );

var desc2 = new ActionDescriptor();

var id4 = charIDToTypeID( "null" );

var ref1 = new ActionReference();

var id5 = charIDToTypeID( "AdjL" );

ref1.putClass( id5 );

desc2.putReference( id4, ref1 );

var id6 = charIDToTypeID( "Usng" );

var desc3 = new ActionDescriptor();

var id7 = charIDToTypeID( "Grup" );

desc3.putBoolean( id7, false);

var id8 = charIDToTypeID( "Type" );

var id9 = charIDToTypeID( "Lvls" );

desc3.putClass( id8, id9 );

var id10 = charIDToTypeID( "AdjL" );

desc2.putObject( id6, id10, desc3 );

executeAction( id3, desc2, DialogModes.NO);

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 9:03 PM   in reply to JJMack

Here is an example levels adjustment layer action that seems to work even when Clip to Layer is checked in the adjustments panel.

Made using X-Tools.

https://acrobat.com/#d=WyAz8qX*H6EfgIXkfSFalQ

Untitled-1.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 10:48 PM   in reply to JJMack

No, the action i posted was not recorded in photoshop (any version) but made with xtools.

It was just a thought on perhaps one way overcome the problem until it's fixed by adobe.

Added: It's just an action made from the script i posted earlier is all. I guess i confused you because i used a level adjustment layer as an example when i should have

used a brightness/contrast adjustment as an example instead.

Message was edited by: R_Kelly

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 12:14 AM   in reply to JJMack

Hi John,

I'm going to look into this further. I found the bug and it doesn't have a description directly matching your report here. I want to talk with Jeff T. to see if he has further info that's not showing up.

To summarize the impact, your 3rd party distributed action sets are made incompatible with CS4–CS6 versions because there's no conditional to handle clipped vs. non-clipped action steps that conflict with the set Adjustment panel option?

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 11, 2012 5:47 AM   in reply to JJMack

For what it's worth I have reported a similar problem against recorded Brightness/Contrast actions steps - specifically having to do with the new (with CS5) "Use Legacy" setting.

Actions recorded with Brightness/Contrast steps in older versions of Photoshop need to "Use Legacy" by default, because that's the only kind of Brightness & Contrast those versions did.

However, apparently a Brightness/Contrast action step that is recorded without "Use Legacy", for example with an older version of Photoshop, will now be interpreted as "Use The New Scheme" in Photoshop CS6.  This is different from Photoshop CS5 and earlier.

I suspect some programmer removed a key piece of code that was checking for these kinds of cases.

SG, while you're looking into JJMack's issue, could you please check on this one as well?

To underscore what JJMack has been saying, the creation of an entirely new action record is NOT the answer, because beyond leaving existing actions in a non-working state with the new version of Photoshop, if one were to release a fix it would make it necessary to maintain the older version of the Actions for use with older versions of Photoshop.  Not the best solution for a case where it's clear what the processing needs to be when the parameter is missing.  This creates support headaches for anyone who has released actions to Photoshop users!

In my case, even though I reported the Brightness/Contrast problem fairly early in the beta (and had it acknowledged by Pete Green), the released code still has the problem, so I'm faced with releasing new versions of my actions sets with certain steps done a different way.  Fortunately, rather than record the step again I've found a completely different way to get the task done that avoids my having to split the sets into "before CS6" and "after CS6" versions.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    May 11, 2012 6:02 AM   in reply to JJMack

JJ, I am not sure either that I understand the issue correctly.

-The actions do record as they should in all versions. ( for the moment, let's put aside the Cs6 "without clipping mask" that seems to be different, and might come from the Xtools)

-But, since CS4, the actions with "Apply to all" (without "With clipping mask") do not work as they should if the Adjustment panel has the "Clipping" button checked, as they do clip the adj layer when they should not.

-Therefore, actions recorded with "Apply to all", with a subsequent "Clip to previous" (when it was not recorded at Adj Layer creation) do give an error because the layer is already clipped by the previous step if the Adjustment panel is set to clip.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 11, 2012 6:41 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

For what it's worth, in Photoshop CS6 when I create an adjustment layer either way (with the [  ] Use Previous Layer To Create Clipping Mask option set or cleared), I only see the "With Clipping Mask" option show up. 

I guess this XTools thing might be writing more in the same record than Photoshop itself is?

As recorded in Photoshop CS6:

CS6Action.png

As seen in Photoshop CS5:

ClippingMaskActionCS5.png

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 11, 2012 7:05 AM   in reply to JJMack

Agreed.  Misinterpreting recorded actions is a BUG.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    May 11, 2012 10:15 AM   in reply to JJMack

JJ, what I meant, and that Noel proved, is that the "Without Clipping mask" is NOT created by CS6, but by Xtools.

I agree that it might be a bug, but is my explanation 4 posts ago valid?

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 11:53 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Yes the action example i posted is an edited action by taking an levels adjustment layer recorded in photoshop with clipping mask applied, converting the action to an XML file. editing the action

by adding the Without to the clipping mask and then turning the XML file back into an action.

Photoshop does not record Without Clipping Mask.

Since everyone seems confused by it, you can remove those posts if it's going to add this confusion to what really is a bug in cs4-cs6 as JJMack has explained in detail.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 11, 2012 12:01 PM   in reply to JJMack

JJMack wrote:

I then pointed out that would make all old action incompatible that the way actions were recorded is fine.

Actually, it might not make them incompatible, since it sounds as though the same exact record type is being written.  But you'd have to test them to make sure, because even if the action was interpreted correctly the Actions player would be going through uncommon paths through the code.

The problems we've mentioned with actions need to be addressed.  Actions are a supported feature of Photoshop, and keeping a newer version compatible - be it a few versions ago or right now with CS6 - with previously recorded actions needs to be a design goal at Adobe!  There's no time like the present to get this fixed!  However, I have a suspicion that 13.0.1 may already be in the pipeline being tested, which would be in the context of this problem.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    May 15, 2012 10:27 AM   in reply to JJMack

Shouldn't I edit the thread title to make it more family-friendly?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2012 4:37 AM   in reply to JJMack

YES I CAN SEE THAT.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers