Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
Currently Being Moderated

Community Professionals Get their Own Style?

May 10, 2012 11:31 PM

So, in a thread, a Community Professional gets a style that looks identical or at least very similar to a correct answer and they get their name in red.

Accepting any reasons that a CP might need to be distinguished in some way I don't like the implication that an answer is a correct answer simply because a CP offers it.  OK, so style them differently but not it like this.

Sometimes a CP might be contributing to discussion where an answer isn't needed or they may be asking for a bit more clarification.

There, I said it!

Martin

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 11, 2012 3:25 AM   in reply to martcol

I am with Martin on this, hi Martin.

The threads have become rather messy, with both time and effort being wasted on our having to disregard, or should I say undistinguish, what should not be distinguished from the rest in the first place.

The same applies to Employees.

Whatever anyone wants to obtain, the text under the Avatars must be quite sufficient.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 6:27 AM   in reply to martcol

That's not actually the case. A correct answer within the thread is marked with green side borders, but is not filled in white unless the answer was provided by one of us. The quoted correct answer within the question is always filled in white, irrespective of who it came from, but that's simply because the Adobe corporate styling keeps everything in shades of gray. Usernames don't change, but we do have colors for the classes of membership.

See http://forums.adobe.com/message/4395537#4395537 (correct answer from a normal user) and http://forums.adobe.com/message/4394216#4394216 (correct answer from an ACP).

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,480 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 11, 2012 7:46 AM   in reply to martcol

Nit picking the terminology aside, Martin is right - there is a SIGNIFICANT differentiation and in fact a Community Professional looks just like an Employee.

No disrespect intended for the Community Professionals, who do a great job, but maybe a slightly lighter shade of gray than we peon users get would be more appropriate, not employee orange and white.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 1:43 PM   in reply to martcol

To elaborate on the first post, I believe the least messy and easiest read is obtained by avoiding differently coloured posts as distinction between posters, in other words no special background colour, neither for employees nor for community professionals, nor for silly posters, nor for ...

As has been said many times, these are user forums, and both employees and community professionals, at least predominantly, partake on a voluntary basis.

As I said, all we need to know (and maybe more) is already shown in connexion with the avatar.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 2:01 PM   in reply to martcol

The new typography in that forum is atrocious.

The so-called Community Professional decoration is ludicrous.

Adobe, Adobe …

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 2:30 PM   in reply to Kurt Gold

Hi Kurt.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 2:37 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Jacob Bugge wrote:

To elaborate on the first post, I believe the least messy and easiest read is obtained by avoiding differently coloured posts as distinction between posters, in other words no special background colour, neither for employees nor for community professionals, nor for silly posters, nor for ...

As has been said many times, these are user forums, and both employees and community professionals, at least predominantly, partake on a voluntary basis.

As I said, all we need to know (and maybe more) is already shown in connexion with the avatar.

I couldn't agree more withi this. And I do hope we'll soon get back what used to be connected to one's avatar...

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 1:47 AM   in reply to martcol

I agree with Martin's points. The previous way of distinguishing "community professionals" was about the right level and did not give undue visual preference to their comments over those from other frequent posters who have equal or greater knowledge.

For a few reasons, whoever approved this redesign needs to think again.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 2:07 AM   in reply to martcol

In addition to what has been said already, one important aspect is that the term Community Professional denotes that the Community Member in question has made a certain kind of contributions in connexion with one or more specific Adobe applications relevant to specific forums, but it is shown in every post in every thread in every forum, regardless of the actual level of knowledge and experience relevant in that connexion.

Apart from possibly misleading others, this may also put an unreasonable pressure on the Community Professional, especially when posting as one of the less experienced users.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 2:25 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Jacob Bugge wrote:

In addition to what has been said already, one important aspect is that the term Community Professional denotes that the Community Member in question has made a certain kind of contributions in connexion with one or more specific Adobe applications relevant to specific forums, but it is shown in every post in every thread in every forum, regardless of the actual level of knowledge and experience relevant in that connexion.

Absolutely correct.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 3:33 AM   in reply to martcol

Adobe are going to have to be very careful not to alienate those of us with similar or greater expertise than posters with the "community professional" badge (some of whom only seem to show up to help when it's the time of year for their badge renewal!).

If you give excessive prominence to those folks, and so make others' contributions seem less persuasive or valuable, you'll find creative people can be... creative!

John

"Thousands of posts here, some sharp, most intended to be helpful"

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 4:53 AM   in reply to john beardsworth

In my opinion, instead of stressing the artificial and meaningless castes differences in the forums (the old "community expert/employee/member" badges by out names is all that is needed), it would be more useful that moderators were identified as such by a similar badge. There is no reason for keeping them secret; and it is a normal practice in other non-Adobe forums I frequent.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 9:33 AM   in reply to Claudio González

Post counts and points are coming back, and your activity right now is still aggregating towards your scores. I agree that many people use post counts as an indication of who knows most about a topic, but that's not always accurate. The forums certainly do have a great bunch of frequent-posters who know their chosen products very well, but equally you will find engineers with very low post counts dropping by to help with specific questions - they may not say much but what they do say should be correct, as they wrote the program! The points system is intended to help differentiate the 'expertise' of regular users, as you only gain points for helpful and correct answers, but it doesn't give much insight for new or infrequent visitors.

I also agree that  ACPs don't have to know more than anyone else in a thread, but statistically they do know more than the average, simply because the ACP program selects only the best people from the developer community. We also have a responsibility to provide the most reliable answers we can - for example I use Flex but I'm nowhere close to being an expert in it, so I don't answer questions in those forums.

To clarify, there are currently four groups of people on here with some form of special status: employees, ACPs, hosts (moderators) and administrators. These groups are not firewalled; many are in more than one category,  not all ACPs or employees are hosts, and vice-versa. Hosts are not identified by default as  in the past people bombarded them with  messages.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 10:22 AM   in reply to Dave Merchant

"the ACP program selects only the best people from the developer community"

Nonsense. "Some of" would be fair. But the point is that posts by "community professionals" are being given undue prominence by this shambolic forum upgrade. Hey ho.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 2:22 PM   in reply to john beardsworth

I didn't say it selected all the best people, but Adobe is clear that those it does allow into the ACP program are recognized experts in their fields. It's not at all easy to get in, and we all have to re-qualify every year. Bear in mind there are millions of people using Adobe software on a daily basis, but we can fit all the ACPs into one room at MAX with space for dancing. We're proud of our membership, I won't apologize for that.

Personally I don't care if my posts are gray or white, but Adobe have decided on the layout and I'm simply trying to explain the reasoning.

johnbeardy wrote:

"the ACP program selects only the best people from the developer community"

Nonsense. "Some of" would be fair. But the point is that posts by "community professionals" are being given undue prominence by this shambolic forum upgrade. Hey ho.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 3:34 PM   in reply to Dave Merchant

Don't bother - you clearly can't.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 7:14 AM   in reply to martcol

Why not do like in MS Answers Groups put yor title of authority beside the Picture ad name above

Here is example of mine.

How do I get a data series to become the x-axis in a chart? - Microsoft Answers.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 8:13 AM   in reply to Phillip Jones

We never see you in tartan here, Phillip.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 8:53 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Differrent Picture of me. Actually newer. Last I tried I could not edit any thing in Profile kept getting error message.

Tried again and have upload the Tartan Image. As son as it's approved in abut 4 days I'll use it as my avatar image.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 10:33 AM   in reply to Phillip Jones

Then we shall hope that it represents none of the banned clans, Phillip.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 10:57 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

As far as I know the Jones Family I came from originated in England. However my Mother's side of the Family both the Fulcher's and the Harris' came  from Scottland. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 11:54 AM   in reply to Phillip Jones

Evidently, both are among the approved clans, Phillip.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 8:11 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

That's a relief! The Shirt is from a  Company called Haband and the had several different color combo for this pattern. Picture was taken with PhotoBooth. My MacBook Pro has built in iSight camera and Microphone.

Let's get on to serious stuff or else we will be yanked from the forum.  Remember they don't tolarate friendly back and forth.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    May 15, 2012 6:03 AM   in reply to Phillip Jones

Will you two stop with the friendly back and forth?

What I'm missing is a slightly different color for the original poster (not as contrasty as this white on grey).

I also find the color of the background of the answers by Employees and ACP distractful, and that could be easily mistaken for a correct answer, even if they might often be the ones that post them. A tone similar to the one that one gets when squinting at the quotes might be better.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,480 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 15, 2012 9:10 AM   in reply to Phillip Jones

Phillip Jones wrote:

Remember they don't tolarate friendly back and forth.

It's a nice thing to see pleasant interactions.  Up to now it was only a theory that such things could exist in this universe.

But you're right, it's quite out of character on the Adobe forums, where smart, creative people collide all the time.  So just in case, I suggest ending all pleasant posts with the phrase "You idiots!"

You idiots! 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 7:19 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Pierre, my proposition -apparently shared by not a few- is to  completely eliminate the different backgrounds in messages. There are, or should not be, castes in the forums. If there are legitimate differences -employee, participat, moderator, even perhaps community professional- it is enough to identify them poperly in the zone near their avatars, as it used to be. Not to mention the fact that this proliferation of colors is distracting at best.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 7:48 AM   in reply to Claudio González

Claudio,

You will get a "+1" from me on about everything stated.

Now, I did like the "alternating backgrounds" of yore, as they were subtle, but aiding in reading the entire thread.

A keyline has been added to differentiate between posts, and that is an improvement, but I would campaign for subtle, alternating backgrounds.

I strongly second having one's "status" displayed below their avatar, again, just as it was, though perhaps smaller.

I sort of feel that the designers (redesigners), felt the need to "do something," whether it was an improvement, or not.

After a full week, plus a few days to digest the input, I have more "Dislikes," that "Likes," with the new design, but that might just be me.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,480 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 15, 2012 9:11 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

It's not just you, Bill.  But one thing is certain:  We CAN still communicate with it, glitches and all.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 10:53 AM   in reply to Claudio González

Claudio González wrote:

Pierre, my proposition -apparently shared by not a few- is to  completely eliminate the different backgrounds in messages. There are, or should not be, castes in the forums. If there are legitimate differences -employee, participat, moderator, even perhaps community professional- it is enough to identify them poperly in the zone near their avatars, as it used to be. Not to mention the fact that this proliferation of colors is distracting at best.

Another way to put it. We all put our pants on exactly the same way, one leg at a time. when it comes to the forums we are all equals. Sure some of us have more knowledge and there should be some way of letting us know under/over or around your Avatar is sufficient.

just ditch the Grey (gray) the world dull and drab enough.  It's a downer.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    May 15, 2012 11:42 AM   in reply to Claudio González

Claudio, I think that indeed, most of us are in agreement.

I also liked the subtle alternating backgrounds, but the new uniform look with a line grew on my, given the title of the post that participates in the separation of the posts.

The grey is in line with the rest of the Adobe site, the creative cloud, Adobe.tv, etc.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,480 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 15, 2012 11:42 AM   in reply to Phillip Jones

You know that the text is not actually black either, right?

Maybe the dark gray text on light gray background is a conspiracy by all the young web designers to drive us old folks (who know what quality looks like but prefer it to be easier to see), away from the computer, in order to make their lives easier.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 12:37 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel,

But one thing is certain:  We CAN still communicate with it, glitches and all.

And right now we do it all the time.

Maybe that is the real reason for the new skin: the thread/post count here in the Forum Comments forum was getting a bit low so it was decided to do something to get it going again. That, at least, has been successful.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 12:44 AM   in reply to Phillip Jones

Phillip Jones wrote:

…just ditch the Grey (gray) the world dull and drab enough.  It's a downer.

PJ, that is easily achieved with a single Firefox Add-on: it's called "No Color".  You can toggle it on and off with a single click, and it doesn't slow you down all.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/no-color/?src=search

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 12:58 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

This is what the entire page of this open thread looks like to me at the moment, with all my modifications and the No Color add-on:

Adobe-Forums_-openthread.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 3:00 AM   in reply to station_two

Now that is something, station two.

All we need is getting the team to implement it as default or at least a one click option. They could call it Fair Forum Style.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 6:50 AM   in reply to station_two

Very nice looking. If we could also add the missing avatars, the missing message numbers and the missing "in response to" information, it would have my vote for setting it as the default style of the forums.

(As if our votes counted for anything in here ).

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points