Skip navigation
Fygo
Currently Being Moderated

Flash CS6 code hinting issue

May 11, 2012 9:06 AM

Tags: #flash #import #code #cs6 #hints #hinting

Hi everybody,

Yesterday I downloaded Flash CS6 to try it out. Everything went smooth till I fired it up and tried to write some code into the Actions panel.

The code hinting doesn't seem to work for me at all. I cannot call it up manually with keyboard and the automatic is not working either. I tried with different cache sizes, turn it off and on again but nada. It simply did and does nothing.

Then I tried the "classic approach" (as - THANK YOU ADOBE! - you have this code hinting problem since which version!?) - to delete the CodeModel folder which now seemed to move to "Common" folder; as far as I remember it used to be in the "<install_language>" folder. Not quite sure about that. After deleting this folder and starting Flash again it was not recreated. However, I was able to get some limited code hinting, I wrote this code:

var s:Sprite = new Sprite(); //got code hints after typing ":" and "new"

s.graphics.lineTo(100, 100); //got code hints after typing "s." but NO code hints for ".graphics", so I had to type lineTo(100, 100) manually

What the hell.

Also, I cannot see import statements anymore but the code above worked. Is this normal? How do I unable the imports? I couldn't find it anywhere.

Anybody can advice what to do with the code hinting?

Thanks!

F.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 11, 2012 10:42 PM   in reply to Fygo

Hi ,

After ensuring that the "Code Hints" checkbox in the Actionscript section of the Flash Preferences dialog is turned on , please try resetting your code-hint cache as follows:

1. Quit Flash

2. Delete your code-hint cache folder

Win XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe\Flash CS6\<language>\Configuration\CodeModel

Win Vista/Win7:

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Adobe\Flash CS6\<language>\Configuration\CodeModel

Mac:

/Users/<user>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Flash CS6/<language>/Configuration/CodeModel

3. Re-start Flash and try again.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks and regards,

Sudeshna Sarkar

Adobe Flash Professional Team.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 2:06 AM   in reply to Fygo

Hi ,

If code hinting is not working , it can be due to many files that are opened. Code hinting only works on an AS file when it is properly associated with an opened AS3 Flash file.

Also please try out the following steps to increase the code hint cache size and then clearing the Code Hint cache as mentioned in above post.

Windows:

1. Open Regedit and navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Adobe > Flash 12 > Settings
    2. Right+click and choose: ‘New… > DWORD Value’
    3. Rename the key: Project File Cap
    4. Select the key and choose: ‘Modify’
    5. Edit the value (put say: 2000)
    6. Click OK and restart Flash

Mac:

1. Open /Users//Library/Preferences/Flash CS6 Preferences in Text Edit
    2. Under the section add the following: 2000
    3. Save the file and restart Flash

Let me know if this helps in any way.

Thanks and regards,

Sudeshna Sarkar

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 9:46 PM   in reply to sudeshna sarkar

Hi,

I noticed Flash CS6 does not give code hints (testing on timeline) when you have a new SDK targeted.

For example, I downloaded Air 3.3 and  added it with the new manage Air SDK option.

If I target that SDK I get no code hints

If I go back to targeting 3.2 SDK I get code hints again.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2012 11:01 PM   in reply to boat5

Hi ,

I was able to repro the issue when I copied the AIR 3.3 SDK in the <Adobe Flash installed directory> in the same place where AIR 3.2 SDK is present. Code hinting stopped working for AIR 3.3. We are investigating this issue.

You can try this workaround for now:

1. Copy the AIR 3.3 SDK to some other location say "Desktop".

2. Go to Help->Manage AIR SDK and delete the AIR 3.3 SDK added.

3. Click on "+" again in the Manage AIR SDK dialog and add the AIR 3.3 SDK from the new location i.e where its copied in step 1 eg : c:\Users\<sudeshna>\Desktop\AIR 3.3

2. Quit Flash and Relaunch.

3. Create a new AIR project and set the Target in Publish settings as AIR 3.3.0.3560 for Desktop and then try writing code in the actions panel.

Let me know if this solves your problem.

Thanks and regards,

Sudeshna Sarkar

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 1:15 PM   in reply to sudeshna sarkar

I am seeing this as well. My 3.3 SDK is in a separate directory from 3.2 and am seeing no code hinting at all. However, if I set my target to 3.2, I get code hints. If I use 3.3, none. 3.2 is in the main directory and 3.3 is in its own separate location.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 10:00 PM   in reply to scober99

Hi ,

You can try doing the following steps to fix the code hinting problem.

1. Make sure Flash is closed and then browse to your Flash install folder. On Windows you can find it in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flash CS6\, on Mac you can find it in Applications/Adobe Flash CS6/.

2. Change the name of the AIR3.2 folder to something like AIR3.2_Old.

3. Copy the new AIR 3.3 SDK folder there.

4. Rename the unzipped folder AIR3.3 to AIR 3.2 and move it into your Flash CS6 directory.

5. Browse inside the new AIR3.2 folder to AIR3.2/frameworks/libs/air/ and copy the airglobal.swc file.

6. Browse to Adobe Flash CS6/Common/Configuration/ActionScript 3.0/AIR3.2/ and paste the airglobal.swc to overwrite the existing one.

Then restart Flash and try.

Let me know if this solves the problem.

Thanks and regards,

Sudeshna Sarkar

Adobe Flash Professional Team

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 10:42 AM   in reply to sudeshna sarkar

Tried what you suggested. Now it doesn't work whichever SDK I target. If I just have the AS3 file open without the FLA open, it works fine. If I open the related FLA file, it doesn't.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2012 4:27 AM   in reply to Fygo

Sick and tired with flash cs6 code hinting.

I created a fla document, wrote some code...do something...

Code hint worked ok...

I do more...create some movieclip...write more code...

Code hint...die!

Omg! I deleted all movieclip, deleted all code, deleted all things in library...

and tried to write:

import[space]

Still...nothing? Code hint seems to never show up with this document anymore...

Then, I created a new fla document.

Code hint worked ok!

I do something...

Code hint...die...

...die...forever...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2012 9:38 PM   in reply to aconma

So the code hint cache gives me probelms when ever I target a non official air sdk. By non official I mean using the inbuilt Manage Air SDK to target a beta release of air (eg: Air 3.5). All my other air runtimes have no issue with code hinting.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2012 2:02 AM   in reply to Mellisdesigns

unfortunately, code hint cache gives me problems with all air sdk versions: 3.2, 3.3, 3.4

I have not tested with air 3.5 yet. But I think the same issue will happen.

Maybe somethings wrong when Flash Pro saves fla documents. I think the problem isn't SDK, while Flash Builder and other products have found no problem with using AIR SDK

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2012 2:48 PM   in reply to Fygo

This is for Adobe only.  Others that have been so kind as to try to solve this... Thank you sooo much.

Code hinting does not work in CS6.  If anyone at Adobe would be so kind as to boot up CS4 and try it there I believe you will find that it is as solid as a rock.  If you would then be so kind as to boot up CS6 and do the same I believe you will find it quite buggy.  I have never been so frustrated at a piece of software or its support in my life.  Typically Adobe support is quite good and will state that if something is not working as it should be and that they will see if there is a bug fix being processed.  In this case however it is not only not being corrected but the "try this" mentality is ony compounding customers frustrations.  Please, if you are going to post a workaround make sure that it works and is at least somewhat solid.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2012 9:52 PM   in reply to sudeshna sarkar

I am having the same issue with my mac.  It just all of a sudden started happening.  Is this something Adobe is looking into?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2012 5:03 AM   in reply to thatkidrich44

Hello,

Could you please confirm if you have installed Flash Professional CS6 Update 2 and you still see the issue persist?

Regards,

Suhas Yogin

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2012 5:08 AM   in reply to Suhas Yogin

I have.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 31, 2012 5:20 AM   in reply to thatkidrich44

Thank you, we are checking on this issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2012 6:10 AM   in reply to Suhas Yogin

Thanks for your replies !

But, after installed the update, the issue still happen with me (Both laptop & desktop)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2012 6:21 AM   in reply to aconma

This seems to be a REAL bug now, since so many people are having the same

issue.  Sometimes deleting the CodeModel folder under configuration brings

it back temporarily, but it does still happens.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2012 8:07 PM   in reply to thatkidrich44

Hello,

We are unable to reproduce this bug at Adobe, and we need your help for the same. Could you please file a report of your issue at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&promoid=E WQQL?

In your report, could you please provide a link to your FLAs and Crash logs? You could upload it to a free file sharing site.

Thanks and regards,

Suhas Yogin

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2012 12:45 AM   in reply to Fygo

You've got to be jokeing Suhas!  There is no "Crash log" for something that does not crash the application.  Please let us know the exact configureation you are using and perhaps one of us can try it.  Please also let us know if you are trying to atempt this on the PC as well as Mac platforms.  I have tried this on several different Dell systems running everything from Xeon to quad core i7s.  Different OSs and varing other applications installed.  Every time Code Hinting is tried IT DOES NOT WORK!!!!!!  Simply put cs4 Code Hinting does work with no issues on cs6 Code Hinting does NOT work or if it does it is only for a few entrys then it stops.  Please just look at what you did to make it work properly in cs4 and go ahead and do that to cs6.  Or at least just start telling people that as a learning tool cs6 is NOT right for them and they should find a copy of cs4 to learn on or build their projects then bring them over to cs6. 

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2012 3:58 AM   in reply to Suhas Yogin

I've created a file that contains the issue:

http://www.mediafire.com/?gx0imljvcrbz7n1

Thanks !

(additional, there's no crash log)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2012 5:20 AM   in reply to aconma

Yep, this breaks mine,

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 2:28 PM   in reply to Suhas Yogin

Suhas, did we ever get an answer to the code hinting issue?  I've been struggling with it for a while now.  I recently discovered that if I have 400+ libraries, then code hinting turns off.  This is despite the fact that I have the code hinting chache size set to 5000 files.  Am I missing something?  What I'm working on requires quite a few libraries and it's a pain to constantly need to reorganize the files to stay below a certain threshold.  Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2012 9:50 PM   in reply to Fygo

So, I was able to find a trick to evade this problem.

The real problem is having too many files in the same folder as the .FLA is. So I do the following and it really works.Nothing technical only logical.

1."Cut" the folders and files(apart from .FLA and directly associated .as file only ).

2.Paste the files (or folders ) in a new destination(u need it permanently if this trick works) .

3.Now start FLASH PRO.

4.Open the .FLA and .as file.

5.Check if code hint works.

6. If Yes, copy all files ,paste in the folder of the .FLA fle.

7.Problem solved.

This is what i do.works for me.Should work by logic.

I think Flash team has done this intentionally(i dont think it is a bug) , maybe to avoid crash.

Note : air version has nothing to do with it.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2012 8:09 AM   in reply to viveKDhayalanM

I came across this in another post somewhere but it was a buggy fix and still does not answer the question regarding why, even if I have a hundred files in the same folder as my project, flash pro cs4s code hinting works.  Thank you for the imput though.  I'll try this on a couple of different systems again to see if maybe I missed something.  Until then perhaps Adobe will issue a patch to actually fix it.

Thanks for the help.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2012 4:22 PM   in reply to Fygo

Bingo.  You are absolutely correct.  I went back and found that this "fix" does not work.  So once again Adobe please fix this.  Not everyone has the time to learn flash builder.

Thank you Fygo.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2012 8:07 PM   in reply to Fygo

codehint.jpg

Did anyone come accross this? This looks more or less intentional.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 10:03 AM   in reply to viveKDhayalanM

Yes, I have found many people getting this same error.  You can try to put the Fla file in a different folder but you will find that even if it does work once it will not be a permanant fix to the issue.  Not to sound like a broken record but the only real work around to this is to create everything in CS4 and bring it over to CS6.  This will, at least, minimize most of the frustration of dealing with the code hinting issue.  It is sad that rather than having a good clean workflow we need to minimize frustration while doing something that worked flawlessly in a previous version.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2012 9:59 AM   in reply to Suhas Yogin

happy new year everybody !

hope that code hinting will comeback in new year

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 6:33 PM   in reply to aconma

Just going to pile on here and say Hey..um...just noticed, no code hinting here either.  Tried a couple of the suggested fixes, no luck.  Really, Adobe, please just fix this the right way.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 9:35 PM   in reply to mwpfishbreeder

Another simple  way

Just copy the .as files in a seperate folder outside root directory.

And the new folder to the source path.

Edit - Preferences

In category

-ActionScript

Click ActionScript 3.0 Settings

Press + sign along the 'Source Path'

-Add Path of that created folder with old class files.

This will work.

Just the way you add Away3d classes.

And People crying foul over CS6 , please try to use every features available.It is miles better than CS4.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 9:48 PM   in reply to viveKDhayalanM

I'm sorry, but this is a very simple banner project that has no need for any separate .as files whatsoever.  I certainly am going to continue to cry foul over an aspect of a product that used to work, and now doesn't and seems to have been a known issue for some time now.  Adobe should fix it and fix it right, instead of me having to come here, read and try a half dozen fixes, only to still be stuck with software that isn't functioning properly.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 10:05 PM   in reply to mwpfishbreeder

Sorry,but i had this problem coz 'too many files'.The one which i said may help those with the same problem as mine. Yours may me one to be fixed by Adobe . Anyway, hope u get out of it soon. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2013 6:33 AM   in reply to viveKDhayalanM

hi im still new in using adobe flash thats why im using cs4 with the actionscript of 2.0, can u give me an example of an array?

example:

this is may an error but i hope you can fix it

var myArray:Array=new Array('a','k','o');

//i want that every time i press a keyboard is will be equal to my array

//tracing keyboard input to trace array if match

stop();

var keyListener:Object = new Object();

keyListener.onKeyDown = function() {

if (myArray[0]==(Key.getCode() == 65)) {

trace("match");

}  

else {

trace("not match");

}

};

Key.addListener(keyListener);

//how can i match my input to my arrray??

//im making a typing game can u help me please thanks  in advance

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 11:00 AM   in reply to Fygo

Anything new on this? Still have no code hinting and it has been more than 9 months since I first ran into this. We have had mulitple new Air SDK releases, but core functionality of the editor is still broken.

I am about to start a new project and cannot do much with the editor working the way it is. Not sure if this is related or not, but I also am unable to set a breakpoint successfully -- the debugger consistently reports that there is no executable code at the breakpoint - which is absurd.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 11:09 AM   in reply to Suhas Yogin

I'm still get some code hinting with AIR 3.2 at start up

When I test on AIR 3.5 & 3.6, code hinting never showed even if I create a new .fla document

Can you give us some infomation from this issue? Is Adobe planning to resolve it?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 10:33 PM   in reply to Fygo

After days working without code hinting, finally I found a way to get code hinting. At least It worked for me.

I hope it will help others. Let's try:

(Version I'm using: 12.0.0.481)

Delete "CodeModel" folder

Open Adobe Flash Pro CS6

Create new AIR file

Write "import flash.events.Event;"

-> A warning display: "too many files..."

Save file (named "hintFile.fla") to an empty folder (named "hintFolder"). The name of folder shouldn't contain space or special characters

Delete the line "import flash.events.Event;"

Write "import flash.events."

A warning display: "building code hint cache..."

Waits about 2 minutes

Press the "show code hints" button -> code hinting should be displayed

Save file "hintFile.fla"

OK. From now, whenever warning display, you just need to overwrite the file "hintFile.fla" by using "Ctrl+Shift+S" command. And the code hinting should work.

Now, create other fla file and do whatever you want. But note:

- Always declare Type for variables, ex: var str:String;

- Keep your file size as small as possible. Don't import big images to your file (Use "[Embed" tag instead)

- Don't save your file with other AIR version. Use 3.2 only. You can build your file with other version, but don't forget to target back to AIR 3.2.

- If code hinting doesn't work, check your code. For example, the code bellow will turn off code hinting:

(tf as TextField).addEventListener(TextEvent.TEXT_INPUT, onInput);

--> Lines above this line will get wrong code hint

- Shouldn't save your file when code hinting not working. At least, don't save with other AIR version

I will test more and update this guide,

Hope this help.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points