Skip navigation
chrisgrover
Currently Being Moderated

Flash CS6 no Fireworks import dialog box?

May 11, 2012 10:11 AM

Tags: #fireworks #flash_cs6 #import_png

In Flash CS6, when I try to import a Fireworks PNG I never see a dialog box asking whether I want to import it as a flattened image or as an editable Fireworks PNG file. It simply imports the PNG as a flattened image. It doesn't seem to work as it did in previous versions where you had a choice.

The help docs seemed to indicate you can still choose between flattened or editable. Am I doing something wrong?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2012 6:16 AM   in reply to chrisgrover

I have the same issue. When I import a layered png it just appears as a flattened png... Also I can't copy paste any vector art from Fireworks anymore into Flash. It all gets turned into Bitmaps. Same with text.

Surely they haven't taken this out of the CS6 Flash build right? This is a super handy feature...

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 5:22 AM   in reply to chrisgrover

Just got a reply from Adobe NL. Aparently they took out this feature as Flash in now a 64bit application. The import code was 32 bits. The team didn't focus on this feature. A work around is to save the png to a psd from Fireworks and then import that psd into Flash. I tried that and it works.

Still cant believe they took this out though... grr

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 9:10 AM   in reply to chrisgrover

In Fireworks export (File -> Export ...) file in FXG format.  Flash can now import and export FXG.  And Illustrator too, by the way.  That preserves structure, layout, images, etc. 

There is an issue with export to FXG in the latest Flash though.  I am going to bug report that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 5:54 AM   in reply to chrisgrover

This doubled the amount of time I'm spending on my current project. The convenience of copying graphics was why I started using Fireworks in the first place.

Also, what happened to automatically pasting in place in Fireworks? 

Going back to CS5.  This killed my workflow.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 2:14 AM   in reply to IttyBittyArtist

Couldn't go back to CS5.  I spent a few hours on the phone with adobe support and they refused to let me install an old version I have a license for. 

The tech guy was nice, but this still doesn't fix the inability to copy over multiple objects (Including editable text) from Fireworks to Flash.

He got me through copying objects with transparency, but I really don't want to have to call tech support or scour the internet every time I need a workaround to something that used to work in your software and now doesn't.

I know Fireworks isn't the priority over there at Adobe, but there are some people who need it to work properly, guys :/.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 1:04 PM   in reply to chrisgrover

This just sucks! The only thing that I still use this application for is to create .swf icons for our Flex applications. Without the ability to copy from fireworks and paste as Vector into Flash this app becomes useless to me. Yet another example of Adobe ignoring the workflow of their customers. Sick of it, I miss Macromedia sooooooo much.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 1:49 PM   in reply to MrJop058

I was just trying the same. Too bad they took out this function, this will cost me a lot of extra time. I'm using the trial period now, curious if there are more functions taken out. We'll see...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 8:45 AM   in reply to chrisgrover

F-CK-RS!!!!!!

how can they take one of it's best functions out! de copy to vector function doesnt copy text objects.

unbelievable!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 8:54 AM   in reply to chrisgrover

This completely sucks. Its bad enough that Adobe basically put Fireworks on life support but then to remove one of the key workflow features between Fireworks and Flash is just lame.  Unfortunately, that workflow is critical to the work I do, so looks like I'm going to have to jump to Illustrator and/or Photoshop and begin to deal w/ the lack of features in those apps.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 11:11 AM   in reply to chrisgrover

This is really disgusting. Why do I need new features,  if frequently-used capabilities of the prev version are completely removed from the "NEW" product.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2013 4:17 AM   in reply to chrisgrover

This is really bad news - copy and pasting from Fireworks just made sense. It speeded up workflow no-end and now that Fireworks is not going to be supported in the future, there's not evan a chance that this will be fixed. Some competition to challenge Adobe is sorely needed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2013 1:26 AM   in reply to robert_skinn

came to this thread via Google just to voice my disapproval of not being able to copy n paste directly from Fireworks to Flash any more - what a nightmare it has made by development process! Has there been any offical reply from Adobe? in my eyes, they need to bring out a patch to address as there must be a lot of people feeling the same pain.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points