Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Uh, how do you deselect in Photoshop?

May 12, 2012 9:08 PM

I feel really dumb right now but for some reason I'm having trouble deselecting. First off, I'm talking layers and vector objects here. I know Cmd D deselects selections. But how you do deselect any layer which might currently be active? I'm working in PS CS6 for the first real time and it's like I suddenly got dumb or something. I know you can select a blank area of the Layers Panel to do it, but my Layers Panel is full right now, so I don't even see any dead space. This is especially troubling because I'm making a lot of shape layers and if I do that while a layer is selected then I wind up making masks.

Help.

Update: I just figured it out. You Cmd select the selected layer. whew. Just mentioning it in case anyone sees this who needs it. (PS CS6 removed the "blank area" at the bottom of the Layers Panel!)

Replies
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,905 posts
    May 24, 2010
    May 12, 2012 10:33 PM   in reply to John Stanowski

Click on an empty part of the Paths panel, or hit the Escape key.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 13, 2012 12:07 AM   in reply to John Stanowski

While you have a path with anchor points selected, Escape will deselect the anchor points but the vector mask remains active indicated by the paths outlines remaining highlighted and the white frame on the layer mask in the layer's panel and also the highlighted path layer in the Paths panel. Alternatively the same can be achieved by clicking anywhere outside or inside but not on the actual path with one of the path selection tools (black or white pointer) which are also accessible temporarily while holding Ctrl/Cmd when using a pen tool.

While no anchor points are selected, Escape will remove the focus (deselect) the vector mask but the current layer remains active (selected). Alternatively the same can be achieved by clicking the vector mask icon in the layers panel which toggles the vector mask selection or clicking an empty space on the  Paths panels

Ctrl/Cmd clicking the selected layer in the Layers panel or just clicking an empty space in the Layers panel will deselect the currently selected layer leaving you without a selected layer and any pixel editing tools and menus will be dimmed.

edit: we haven't installed CS6 yet and I don't know the details there which may be different.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 13, 2012 2:24 AM   in reply to John Stanowski

John Stanowski wrote:

... In order to make a new Shape Layer there must be no layers currently selected, else you would wind up making a vector mask on that selected layer...

In order to make a new Shape Layer you have to have the New Shape layer button selected in the tool's option bar under the main menu - this is the button before Add to shape, Subtract from shape, etc. You don't need to deselect the layer for this - you can just click the New Shape Layer button in the options. But this button will be automatically selected if the tool is in Shape Layers drawing mode (fist button on the options bar) and a vector mask is not active which can be done with the Escape key. Deselecting a layer also automatically sets that option but you don't need to do that. Just press the Escape key and that's it - you will create a new shape layer. If you have anchor points selected press the Escape key twice.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 13, 2012 6:56 AM   in reply to John Stanowski

However, to answer your question a little more directly, in Photoshop on a PC one only has to hold down the Control key when clicking a layer to deselect it.  I'm not sure what key that maps to on a Mac...  Try your modifier keys.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    May 14, 2012 1:13 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel, it's Command (CMD) on a Mac, as stated in the first post. (And remember: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/946377 )

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points