Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Display tearing issues in CS6

May 13, 2012 12:21 PM

Hi all,

I'm experiencing some wierd display tearing issues in After Effects CS 6.

Anything which moves moderately quickly in the composition window during playback or interaction experiences severe horizontal image tearing.

Video playback is tearing, regardless of resolution size (full, quarter, etc.). The display tears EVEN when I am simply dragging stuff around. I could be holding down space and dragging the canvas around in my composition window, or just dragging a footage element and I'll see a ton of really severe, jagged tearing.

It definitely looks like a monitor refresh rate issue, but I've never experienced anything like it before on this system.

Turning off hardware acceleration for composition, layer and footage has not helped. I have also restarted numerous times after changing this setting.

I am running a MacPro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core, OS X 10.7.3

16 gb ram

Card: ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB

My graphics card is admitedly not a supported card, but it has always worked fine in CS 5.5, and I would imagine that it would simply be ignored when I have turned off hardware acceleration, and it is not supported to begin with. I have had NO issues in any other version of AE, or in any other applications including FCP, Photoshop, etc.

I have two monitors on this machine, both standard computer displays and not broadcast, blackmagic, firewire or anything like that. One is an Apple monitor, and the other Samsung. One is connected via mini-display port adaptor.

This issue occurs on either monitor.

Any advice? Thanks so much!

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 13, 2012 11:12 PM   in reply to pkroll

Sounds like a vsync issue of sorts that conflicts with the hardware acceleration fancies. Does the tearing still occur when youz turn off fast preview in the comp viewer and set it to final quality?

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 11:46 PM   in reply to pkroll

Then it's probably some sort of generic driver conflict/ resource issue. otehr than updating the driver I'm not sure what to advise, but that may be not so easy on Macs with their only sporadic updates...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 4:30 PM   in reply to pkroll

This was the first thing I noticed on my MacBook Pro laptop. It's a 17" with 8Gb of Ram. I did a small project in AE CS5 nothing fancy but playback was perfect. The exact same project produces the video tearing, not hugely but definately distracting enough to notice. The whole point of RAM preview is to see what you are going to get and if that gives you glitches it's not ideal

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 5:05 PM   in reply to pkroll

Same here. First thing I noticed as well. Mac Pro 2,1 with dual 4 core 3Ghz Xeons, 17GB of RAM, 256GB SSD, 8TB SAS RAID 5 at 600MBs, and an ATI 4870 card. Same project in CS5 has no problems and tearing. We need a fix!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 9:27 AM   in reply to pkroll

I'm experiencing exactly the same issue here. This happens both on the iMac 27" i5 HD4850 at work and on my C2Q 8200 nVidia 550TI at home, in both Win7 and Lion hackintosh. Two completely unrelated computers, which makes this tearing thing very weird indeed. AE5.5 worked just fine in both machines, no tearing at all.

Please help us Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 3:08 PM   in reply to joaoninguem

That is not a good sign. Up until now I had heard that it was only on Macs. This is a big issue. I depend on After Effects on a daily bases for my lively hood and this tearing issue has made it almost un-useable on several projects where there is so much complexity this tearing distracts greatly. I will continue to use CS5 until Adobe finally acknowledges their preview playback problems and addresses them.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2012 10:07 AM   in reply to pkroll

This problem has still yet to be addressed! I really want to use AE CS6 but it's much to distracting of an issue.

I made a test project and sent it to several designer friends on two totally different systems and they had the horizontal tearing as well. They hadn't noticed it tell I pointed it out. Soo now I'm thinking it's on everyone's setup and just some people don't notice such things.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2012 11:04 PM   in reply to pkroll

Nope I have seen too many people with this problem to count. Some don't even realize it until you point it out. Those are usually the people relying on the rendered outs for previews and not paying much attention to the ram preview. It's borderline epidemic and Adobe better get on it!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 12:24 PM   in reply to pkroll

Hi guys,

Is this XDCAM footage? Tearing with XDCAM footage is something we are looking at right now. We are aware of the issue and are working hard for a fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 12:43 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Sadly no. It's with any preview of any content within a ram preview in AE CS6. Here are a few sample images of a simple Solid layer moving across the screen. It's just in the preview never in the final render output. But it's all through all of my projects...so distracting I'm just sticking with CS5 for now.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 1:18 PM   in reply to ViperJPB

Hi ViperJPB01,

I tested this out on my MacBook Pro (OS X 10.6.8, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M, Core i7), and did encounter the same issue. However, on my PC (WIN7, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro 4000), I did not encounter that issue.

I'll investigate further.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 1:22 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Thats super interesting Kevin. Initially when I started researching this issue it looked like it was a Mac centric problem. But then I found a few mentions with some google searching of it happening on a Windows machine. With the lameness of the current Mac Pro landscape, and me in desperate need of a new workstation, I may be jumping to a PC workstation. Would be awesome if it wasn't an issue there. I'm dying to use AE CS6. But this shows up any of my current commercial broadcast projects and is just too distracting at the moment. The same project in CS5....no problems. Thanks for looking into it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2012 10:46 PM   in reply to pkroll

I, too, am experiencing the same "tearing" display issue in After Effects CS6. I'm running a 6 core Mac Pro, with an ATI 5870 HD card. The same project files display fine in CS5.5, but the tearing in CS6 is really annoying.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 11:43 AM   in reply to pkroll

I first saw this issue with AVCHD files, but now I see the "tearing" effect with solids and text. If the tearing was limited to AVCHD files, Adobe could blame the issue on the myriad of AVCHD file types, but apparently the problem is not limited to video files. This is a pretty serious bug, and has to be fixed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 2:04 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

I'm having the same problem on my AE CS6.  It's on a Windows 7 64-bit.  All video is having this problem except 24p footage.  When I tell it to re-interprate the 60i interlaced footage (in this case lower-field interlaced to progressive), the footage looked perfect.  However, when I changed it back, the footage would not go jagged again.  It's like AE couldn't read the footage right until you tell it to interpret it.  Then all is good.  Don't know if anyone else is experiencing this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 2:59 PM   in reply to jhawkgrad

Lion 10.7.4 on a Mac Pro 4,1 - AE CS6 (still in trial mode) - GTX570

same issue here.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 4:04 PM   in reply to pkroll

pkroll wrote:

Kevin - do you know if Adobe is only just becoming aware of this bug? Not trying to rush you - just very curious what's going on. I'm currently sitting on two different expensive grahics cards that were purchased to test this, knowing I need to return one or both depending on how this is resolved, so I'm curious as to what the status is.

Yes, thanks to you, we are working on a fix. I submitted the bug report last week. Here's to hoping for a quick resolution.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 4:28 PM   in reply to pkroll

Kevin,

Another thanks for helping to bring this to the attention of the engineers. Please keep us posted on any news, if you can.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 3:01 PM   in reply to pkroll

I get a bad case of the tearing on my mac 2.8 Quad Core ATI RADEON HD 5770 as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 3:39 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Hi Kevin.  Can I assume there is no noteworthy progress on this bug after at least a month?  I'm having this issue on my new Mac Pro 12 core and it practically makes the program unusable.  I have filed a bug report.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2012 1:34 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Any update to the progress of fixing this bug? I would really love to start using AE CS6 in my broadcast work but this tearing is just way too annoying. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 8:10 PM   in reply to ViperJPB

Still no news on this after 3 months???

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 7:15 AM   in reply to davidp158

It looks like Adobe has either given up on this problem or it's just not a priority for them.  For all those who haven't, please file a bug report and maybe we can get their attention.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 9:35 AM   in reply to natevplas

I don't know if this is the same problem that I was having, but I was experiencing tearing issues as well.  I found out AE CS6 was not reading my footage correctly.  It saw my progressive footage as interlaced, which was causing the tearing.  When I went to Menu->Interpret Footage, and set it to progressive frames, the problem went away.  Now I had to do that with every piece of footage I imported (progressive or interlaced, which is a pain and something Adobe need to fix), but if you shift-click all your footage, you can interpret footage en masse.  It's doesn't fix the problem (AE not seeing the footage correctly), but it's a possible workaround.

BTW Adobe, this is also a problem I'm finding in Premiere Pro as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 3:02 PM   in reply to jhawkgrad

jhawkgrad,

The problem some of us experience, myself included, is this display tearing effect with not only footage, but animated solids and text. For sure, if your source video isn't properly interpreted, that would cause display issues, but I don't think that's the issue here.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2012 4:04 AM   in reply to pkroll

Any progress on this issue?

It is driving me N-U-T-S-!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2012 4:08 PM   in reply to pkroll

Try opening the package contents of AE (right click AE icon and click "show package contents") then go to the contents folder and add the name of your video card to the intel_ogl_supported_cards.txt document. Worked for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2012 4:59 PM   in reply to jwalkwalk

jwalkwalk - Can you advise if this applies to Mac users and the ATI Radeon HD 5870 video card? If so, do I just enter the text "ATI Radeon HD 5870" into the intel_ogl_supported_cards.txt file?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2012 10:49 AM   in reply to pkroll

i have same issue on CS6 but have also discovered that it is a problem specific to the Radeon HD6750 on my macbook pro.  When i switch to

the Intel Graphics HD3000 card the tearing stops.  Tearing is also better on 5.5 but is still there.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2012 4:09 PM   in reply to pkroll

I am having this problem on 3 separate machines since the upgrade to Mountain Lion. We have 3 machines that are 2x2.4 GHz 6-core Intel Xeons, all with ~30gb of memory and dual ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024mb graphics cards, besides one that has an NVIDIA FeForce 8800 GT 512mb as the secondary graphics card.

During an extremely basic linear keyframe with a .jpg and a solid, along with a couple simple backgrounds we ran into this issue on every single machine. We never saw this problem until we upgraded machines and graphics cards.

Has anyone found any fixes for Mac machines running Mountain Lion?

Thanks in advance

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points