Skip navigation
Kwartjuh86
Currently Being Moderated

Render Error: Incompatible Artisan when using multiprocessing

May 13, 2012 11:33 AM

Hello!

When I render out a scene with multiprocessing enabled I get an error on the status/info pallet saying 'Incompatible Artisan: Multiprocessing disabled.
The render continues, but slower. I have this on both my PC (Q6600, 4GB, HD6850) and my Mac (Mac pro 2008).

Is this normal or is something wrong? Mind you: I do not use any opscure plugins. This happens all the time when rendering using multiprocessing with even the simplest scenes. Both classic 3D and Raytrace 3D.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 13, 2012 11:36 AM   in reply to Kwartjuh86

It's normal for Raytrace 3D, it may not be normal for the conventional 3D. Still, even then it could be "as designed". Impossible to know without knowing the exact setup of your scene, no matter how simple you think it may be otehrwise. You could still be using one specific feature that casues this.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 11:40 AM   in reply to Kwartjuh86

No, it never uses MP and in particular when using GPU it wouldn't, anyway - any multithreaded processing would then be handled by the card/ graphics driver, not the host application.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 5:05 PM   in reply to Mylenium

Mylenium is correct.

A simple way to think of it is this: The Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing feature relies on having a separate rendering process on each of several CPUs. But you only have one GPU, so that can't happen in the same way on the GPU.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 11:53 AM   in reply to Kwartjuh86

Probably a little late to this topic, but it's worth pointing out that it looks like anything pre-composed should not be using the Ray-traced 3D renderer either. Even if there is nothing in the scene that uses those features, it will still deactivate multiprocessing. Make sure all your nested compositions use the Classic 3D renderer.

A little frustrating, but maybe can be addressed in an update or future version (hello, CS6 subscription updates?).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points