• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

adobe photoshop lightroom 4.pkg trying to open with text edit -- how do i open as application?

Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2012 May 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

downloaded trial for mac, all requirements are met, but cannot get download to open as an application, mac is trying to open with text edit; downloaded several times, every time the disk utility opens

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 15, 2012 May 15, 2012

After spending hours and hours with adobe support (before I saw your post, Jeff), I was finally given this path to change the "open with" selection:

System/Library/CoreServices/DiskImageMounter

This worked!  I was looking every where for "Installer" or something similar. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2012 May 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to clarify, the download "lightroom_4_LS11.dmg" file opens in disk utility; from there, the "lightroom 4" file opens as a separate drive and the file "adobe photoshop lightroom 4.pkg" and a pdf are the only files there.  the .pkg file opens in text edit. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 14, 2012 May 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Mac OS are you using?  The pkg file should be opening with the Installer.app program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OS 10.7

The pkg file is labeled as "document" and opens in text edit.  In trying to select the app to open the file with, there is no "installer". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see if you can locate the installer at System/Library/CoreServices.  If you are then please choose the Lightroom 4.pkg and go to File and select Get Info.  You will then want to adjust the Open With option to reflect the Installer.app located in System/Library/CoreServices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2012 May 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After spending hours and hours with adobe support (before I saw your post, Jeff), I was finally given this path to change the "open with" selection:

System/Library/CoreServices/DiskImageMounter

This worked!  I was looking every where for "Installer" or something similar. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting was this for the DMG or the PKG?  The DMG should open with the DiskImageMounter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .dmg was opening with Disk Utility, where it would verify and then mount the "Lightroom 4.0" disc image on my desktop.  Clicking on this opened the folder, which contained the .pkg file, but it wouldn't work (opening with TextEditor). I changed the .dmg file to open with DiskImageMounter and thought I would have to manually change the .pkg file as well, but once the .dmg file opened with DiskImageMounter, the Lightroom 4 file opened with it as well and I got the installation screen right away.  Installation from that point on went as usual.  It was a very frustrating experience, but now I know where to look when a file won't install.  But as for your question, they both opened with DiskImageMounter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok thank you very much for the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines