Skip navigation
JunkersDesign
Currently Being Moderated

Change Bleed Size in every Alternate Layout.

May 14, 2012 8:36 AM

Tags: #indesign #bleed #layout #cs6 #bleeds

I love being able to make multiplelayouts in a single InDesign document. The problem, however, is every publication has different bleed requirements and, from what I can see, you can only have one bleed size across all layouts! This is something that HAS to be implemented! For now, I am back to making multiple indesign files!    

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 14, 2012 9:40 AM   in reply to JunkersDesign

This is not a need I've run across, but it seems to me one possible workaround would be to create the bleed at the largest dimension, then add some master guides in your alternate layouts, if you feel you need them, and finally, specify the bleed rather then "use document bleed settings" when exporting.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 2:26 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Oh, there will be a lot of us with this need. I work at a large ad agency and we can't implement this feature at the production stage (we allow people to use it for creative, comps, digital etc) because we need the bleed and slug areas to be independent per page for each publication as well. Work arounds aren't acceptable in our workflow - but this feature is so new, we are fine to stick with the old way for now. It also breaks our internal slugging workflow because we rely on text variables which are document dependent and we would need them to be page dependent. BUT, that I doubt annoys anyone else and is understandable - so not complaining there. But the bleed and slug tied to the document are going to need to change. I'm heading over to put in an official request now.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 9:35 PM   in reply to GinnyLeigh

Yes, a lot of us need different bleed settings.

What I recommend is as Peter recommended to set up the bleed to the biggest needed bleed but not guides would help. You need to set up pdf export settings for each purpose or printer and set up there the needed bleed.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 2:09 AM   in reply to JunkersDesign

@JunkersDesign – do as Bob or Willi recommended.

Further you could reduce bleed on the output side with Acrobat Pro and its Crop Pages panel.
    There is a "BleedBox" entry where you can reduce the amount.

Uwe

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)