• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to create round corners / edges of an image in illustrator ?

Explorer ,
May 14, 2012 May 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how to create round corners / edges of an image in illustrator ?

I have googled a lot but everywhere I find round corners of a shape by going to "Choose Effect > Stylize > Round Corners."

But I DO NOT want round corners of a shape, I have a image (jpeg), how to cut the corners and make them round ?

please help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , May 14, 2012 May 14, 2012

@helloflash312

You can create a rounded rectangle and put it above your image. Select both (image and shape) and go Object > Clipping Mask > Make. This will create a mask and it´s a group.

You can acess Layers panel....open the group hierarchy..move the image and the mask as separated itens.

Gustavo.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@helloflash312

You can create a rounded rectangle and put it above your image. Select both (image and shape) and go Object > Clipping Mask > Make. This will create a mask and it´s a group.

You can acess Layers panel....open the group hierarchy..move the image and the mask as separated itens.

Gustavo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but I don't understand the last line "You can acess Layers panel....open the group hierarchy..move the image and the mask as separated itens."

What exactly I need to do here ?

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/3339/rounda.png

Please help me with the steps and how to do it ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi helloflash123

When you create a Clipping Mask...Illustrator considers this structure as a

group (you can see in the Layers panel it´s a group with 2 elements: the

shape and the image).

Using Layers panel you could for example click in the circle in the right

of the image thumbnail to select it. This way you can move or resize the

image without affect the clipping Shape.

The same process of selecting could be made via the Group Selection Tool

(that´s located at tools panel).

I wanna just to tell you after creating the mask...the 2 elements can still

be edited separatelly or together (in operations like moving or resizing).

That´s it

Did you understand?

Gustavo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry but it is confusing because the rectangle with roundle corners is white in color, and covers the whole images with round corners of picture visible at the corners.

if I make the rectangular color as transparent, still what I think is that moving image or path will only help in putting the image withing the round corner rectangular, the image corners will still be pointed,.

Sorry I am totaklly confused, is there any video tutorial ? This is very urgent for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

helloflash,

As it is in the screenshot, the whole Group is selected.

You may click the ring to the right (in the layers palette/panel) of either the (Clipping) Path or the (clipped) Image to select it, then you can move that separately.

Another way is to use the Direct Selection Tool to select either the Image, by clicking outside the Clipping Path, or the Clipping Path by clicking inside it.

Edit: Hi Gustavo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

according to your screen shot your <Path> is not yet <Clipping Path>

Did you follow the instructions from the first sentence of Gustavo's post?

Seems like you created a group only but not a clipping path. You don't have to create the group yourself, the group will be created automatically when you create the Clipping Mask and this will be a special group because it can't be ungrouped while containing a Clipping mask.

To select an object using the layers panel click the spot of one the little blue squares on your screenshot. The little box show that the item is selected. To deselect it click it while holding Shift.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok here are the steps that I followed, guys please correct me where I am wrong:

Step1: Opened image in illustrator

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/9040/step1re.png

Step2: Selected rectangle tool from the tool bar, placed a rectangular area on the image, made the rectangular area as rounded corners:

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/9725/step2m.png

Step 3: Defined the radius of round corners

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/1870/step3vh.png

Steps 4: By holding SHIFT + CTRL, selected image and the rectangular with rounded corners

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/3329/step4bv.png

Step 5: Now selected Clipping Mark > Make

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/7650/step5d.png

Step 6: After selecting "Mask", I get this

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/816/step6a.png

Now I don't know what to do, as you can see in the layer panel, I have the group. Please HELP !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try selecting your Rounded Rectangle and go to Object>Expand Appearance, then select both and Object>Clipping Mask>Make.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laarry is correct because you used an effect to make the rounded rectangle instead of using the rounded rectangle tool. If you click the rounded rectangle tool in the document window or anywhere on the canvvas the rounded rectangle  options window will appear and you can then enter tthe radius amount for the corners, probably fater than going to the effects. And effect has to be expanded to be used as a clipping mask. Object>Expand Appearance.

One you a reeal rounded rectangle there are two ways of creating the mask.

htt://www.wadezimmerman.com/videos/ClippingPhotos.mov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can direct select the mask after having created the clipping mask and then apply the effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the videoyou will see I use the rounded rectangle tool there is no need as everyone else pointed pout to expand the appearance.

http://www.wadezimmerman.com/videos/ClippingPhotos.mov

Here is another video showing you the difference between an and an aobject with an effect.

http://www.wadezimmerman.com/videos/Effects.mov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As suggested, clipping masks do not support effects and when you use an object with an effect for a clipping mask, the effect will be deleted.

As mentioned you can use the Rounded Rectangle tool and while you are dragging the mouse to draw it before releasing the mouse you can press the up or down arrow on your keyboard to change the radius of the rounded corners. If you have the smart guides turned on you can start from the center of the image to be clipped.

The rounded corners effect makes sense if you are not sure about the roundness of the corners and you want to change them later before applying the clipping mask. But you have to expand the appearance as mentioned in order to remove the effect and keep the rounded corners.

edit: didn't see Monica's post when replying, but I would recommend her advice.

Illustrator  is disappointingly sloppy in its inconsistency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

helloflash,

Just a tiny elaboration: when you apply an effect, it only changes the appearance but makes no change to the basic underlying path, which is used as the Clipping Path. Expanding appearance actually changes the (basic) path to one with that appearance.

Edit: Reading this post reminds me of Farewell to Shady Glade.

Edit edit: And what Monika said, apart from the fact that you can also just use the (normal) Selection Tool (or you could when Illy was young).

Edit edit edit: And what Emil said.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just another way to complete this task:

1. Just select the image you have imported and click the button called "Mask" in the Control panel (also called control bar, below the menu bar). It will create a rectangle and make it as a clipping mask. Now just go Effect > Stylize > Round Corners and set the value of roundness.

This is direct and you do not need to pre-create a rectangle to make the Clipping.

This way is also good when you want to keep visible the entire image area (only hidding the corners that get rounded).

Gustavo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is rounded rectangle tool ? In the toolbar of my Illustrator CS4, I see rectangle, when I right click, I don't see anything, it is plain rectangle, how come ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Rounded Rectangle is in the Toolbar..in the same group as Rectangle. Just keep pressed your pointer over the Rectangle Tool to see its group and Rounded Rectangle Tool.

Let´s just tell if you create directly a rounded rectangle you cannot (after created) change the roundness. This is why the effect is a good way to keep roundness interactive.

Gustavo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I found thr rounded rectangle, but when I put that on the image and select both,  and go to Object>Expand Appearance.

The Expand Appearance. is not ACTIVE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@hellofhas123

You only use the Expand Appearance option if you have created a simple Rectangle Tool and rounded it´s corner via effect (Effect > Stylize > Rounded Rectangle).

Now If you created directly a rounded rectangle (using the Rounded Rectangle tool) then you do not need the Expand Appearance command.

Gustavo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

helloflash,

That is because there is nothing to expand. If you have the rounded rectangle on top of the image, just selct both and Object>Clipping Mask>Make.

Edit: Hi Gustavo.

There seems to be a strange delay in showing new posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob

Yes I perceive this delay when answered via e-mail. At least when I enter new posts directly to the forum web pages it looks the message was sent as soon as I press the Add Reply button.

Do you see the same?

Best Regards

Gustavo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again, the moderator does not give clear instructions and now I have to read down into this thread to decipher the actual instructions. And all because Adobe is too greedy to invest in clear, precise, efficient feedback. Thanks, again, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want to round corners in a pixel image in Illustrator?

The correct answer is the first one in this thread. No need to dive down. 

Which moderator did not help you?

This is a public forum with at least 95% of participants not even being staff, so people are helping in their spare time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines