Skip navigation
janjanssen1980
Currently Being Moderated

windows notebook which supports cs 6

May 15, 2012 5:01 AM

I'm looking for a small notebook (13 inch) for editing. I'm only editing Canon eos 5d Mark II movies (two tracks) with it. Do I need gpu acceleration for editing or will a good CPU be powerfull enough?

I'm looking for the new Sony Vaio Z Series (http://presscentre.sony.eu/content/detail.aspx?ReleaseID=7610&NewsArea Id=2)

Specs:

VAIO SVZ1311Z9E

Intel® Core™ i7-3612QM Processor

8GB DDR3 1333MHz SDRAM

256GB Flash SSD RAID 0 configuration

33.2cm (13.1”) VAIO Display Premium (1920x1080) with wide (16:9) aspect ratio

Intel® HD Graphics 4000 + AMD Radeon HD 7670M (on Power Media Dock)

Should this be good? Or should I buy something different?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2012 5:36 AM   in reply to janjanssen1980

It will work, but very slowly and the raided SSD is a distinct drawback. You are better off with a separate 7200 RPM SATA disk and an external 7200 disk over eSATA or USB3. Keep in mind that you will need a wall outlet to power that machine. The battery will not work longer than 30 minutes (maybe 60 in a best case scenario) and the externals need juice too.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 6:10 AM   in reply to janjanssen1980

Or should I change from Windows notebook to a Macbook pro?    

That is the wrong question to ask a PC diehard. Of course not. A MBP is not worth the money, is not Pro, is not faster, it is simply like I always say, just like a hooker, she looks sexy and good and is expensive and after you have spent your money, you will wonder whether it was worth it.

Raiding SSD's disables the Trim function, which will very rapidly result in extremely slow write times (often much slower than conventional disks), not to mention the reduced life expectancy.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 8:10 AM   in reply to janjanssen1980

Look at Asus,Sager and ADK......13 inch too small to see....get a desktop unless you are constantly traveling....best laptops far behind in performance.....I use 17.3 inch 19220x1080 i7 Asus laptop with 2 hdd bays and USB3. Must have NVidia 460m or better to use Mercury....read more on this forum and look at test results at PPBM5 Website to compare machines

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 9:02 AM   in reply to janjanssen1980

You do need both a powerful CPU and an Nvidia CUDA GPU to edit your DSLR material at the level of performance that makes you happy. Even with the mobile quad-core Ivy Bridge CPU, that VAIO laptop will still be sluggish in part due to the total lack of a GPU that's supported in the MPE GPU acceleration in the Windows version of CS6 (which currently does not support OpenCL at all). Without GPU acceleration, I'd wager that the performance in CS6 will still be somewhere between 10 and 20 tines slower (in terms of the RPI, or Relative Performance Index) than a fast desktop with GPU acceleration (and even the fastest laptop is still nearly 4 times slower than that reference desktop in terms of the RPI). Although to be fair, in my limited PPBM5 testing with CS6, the timeline export/render times with Premiere set to the MPE software-only mode is quite a bit faster in CS6 than it was in CS5.5.

In addition, you must use the dock (that's semi-permanently tethered to an AC electrical wall outlet) just to even use the discrete GPU at all. Otherwise, if you're on the move, only the integrated Intel graphics is available.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 1:21 PM   in reply to RjL190365

So is somethign like a Zenbook Prime UX51VZ suitable for editing, assuming you have media on an external drive?

CPU: 3612QM
    GPU: 650M 2GB

RAM: 12GB 1600MHZ

USB 3.0 : 1TB External for Media

Screen: 1920x1080 Matte

Would this be better rated to handle DSLR footage?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points